Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there any PGs that can help finish the season and contribute in the playoffs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For next year I think we need a 3rd pg but while kyle is out we are seeing what gv and Lou can do.also ed steps up his playmaking.

Comment

As a purely defensive 3rd PG, Aaron Craft might be worth a look. One of the best defensive PGs in college basketball during his time at Ohio State.

Comment

Kendall Marshall. He would be an adequate backup PG imo. Not the swiftest but a pass first pg. Not quite sure what his current status is. He did have a knee injury earlier this year but I believe he is without a team currently (unsure). DeColo however would be my first choice.

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
          Should've kept Nando over GV like I said....
          kudos if you called it.
          I actually liked his game a lot. I thought we were bringing him back for sure.
          MU offered him like 2M I think?

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
            Kendall Marshall. He would be an adequate backup PG imo. Not the swiftest but a pass first pg. Not quite sure what his current status is. He did have a knee injury earlier this year but I believe he is without a team currently (unsure). DeColo however would be my first choice.
            Marshall had an ACL injury, was traded by Milwaukee, cut by Phoenix for the second time, and is currently without a team.

Brutal.

Masai Ujiri needs to sign him as soon as the season ends. Meanwhile, Corey Joseph and Scott Machado are available from the D League:

http://www.nba.com/dleague/gallery/t...season_10.html

http://www.nba.com/dleague/gallery/t...eseason_9.html

Comment

distorsun wrote: View Post
              kudos if you called it.
              I actually liked his game a lot. I thought we were bringing him back for sure.
              MU offered him like 2M I think?
              Yeah it was in the neighborhood just above his QO.

The reason why Nando requested a trade from the Spurs was to get a fair shake as a backup PG. Casey didn't give him that (surprise surprise), and Nando knew GV was coming back, so he went to Russia to develop his game. All he really wanted was to play...

Casey couldn't even do that, and instead trotted out GV as the SG with Lowry.

Comment

octothorp wrote: View Post
                I think Gutierrez could hold that 5-10 minutes a game as a defensive stopper. He maybe technically fits the definition of pass first, because he's certainly not a guy who shoots the ball a lot; But he's not going to do a lot to set up teammates... keeping the ball moving is about the best you could expect from him.

(People may remember he came in here with Milwaukee in February, put up solid rebounding and assist numbers, played big minutes, and helped contribute to our guards having an absolutely abysmal shooting game.)
                Bucks sign Gutierrez to a multiyear deal (probably not very guaranteed next year).

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12...iyear-contract

If we play the Bucks in the first round and he makes life miserable for our guards, I'm going to be so full of told-y'all-so's.

Comment

its a pipe dream but patrick beverly would be a god send in that back up pg postion! Love dudes with pat bev's mentality and its very rare, his tenacity could be key for a team like the raptors come playoff time
                  "you can't be playing checkers, on no chess board yoo!" - D'angelo

Comment

buckets wrote: View Post
                    its a pipe dream but patrick beverly would be a god send in that back up pg postion! Love dudes with pat bev's mentality and its very rare, his tenacity could be key for a team like the raptors come playoff time
                    Chalmers might be available next season with Dragic and Napier. If Dragic resigns Heat will probably shop him or hell request a trade.

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
                      Chalmers might be available next season with Dragic and Napier. If Dragic resigns Heat will probably shop him or hell request a trade.
                      it might just be because of years cheering against the heat in the playoffs but I have a special kind of hatred for chalmers. I dont know chalmers numbers off top nor have I watched a heat game since last year but I remember chalmer being absolutely dreadful in the playoffs, like historically bad. Pretty sure they had start fucking norris cole over him. But strictly as a backup and on the cheap, it couldn't possible get any worse than vaquez on defence
                      "you can't be playing checkers, on no chess board yoo!" - D'angelo

Comment

buckets wrote: View Post
                        it might just be because of years cheering against the heat in the playoffs but I have a special kind of hatred for chalmers. I dont know chalmers numbers off top nor have I watched a heat game since last year but I remember chalmer being absolutely dreadful in the playoffs, like historically bad. Pretty sure they had start fucking norris cole over him. But strictly as a backup and on the cheap, it couldn't possible get any worse than vaquez on defence
                        He was TRoss vs BKN, never looked right. He had been in playoffs before so it might just be a bad series. Lin is another guy who might shine. He has size and is critized for defense by people who haven't seen GV. Cory Joseph is an RFA and does everything needed in a backup PG but can't shoot at all.

Comment

rocwell wrote: View Post
                          I always wanted to see that Australian kid ( he plays for the cavs. ) in the Raps uniform. Dude would make our defense stats look much better instantly.
                          I think you're talking about Matthew Delladova. I really like him as a backup.

Smart, team oriented player on offence; solid defender. Liked him coming out of SMU (had him on my list of late 2nd rounders to watch).

Ultimately though, he's not a guy I'd want to roll out for a lot of minutes. If he's your primary backup, then you better hope Lowry stats healthy.

Now if we had Della AND De Colo, I'd be happy with that.
                          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                            No to Lin. Ever. Super flawed player. Inconsistent. Defensively less the meh.
                            Firstly: we're playing Greivis Vasquez as our primary backup PG, and Greivis is literally inferior to Lin in every single aspect of the game.

Secondly: Lin is quietly having a decent season for the Lakers - solid stats across the board and a PER of 15.7 - especially considering that Byron Scott hates him and takes pretty much every opportunity to blame him for the Lakers having a shitty season. He's also got high basketball IQ, and he's decent at shooting threes, playmaking and running the pick-n-roll (actually, he's really good at running the pick-n-roll), and those are all things we need. Lin can quarterback a team as a starter if necessary, which is also something we need and don't have right now in Lowry's absence.

As for defense - Lin isn't a great defender, but that's much more to do with his lack of lateral speed rather than not knowing what to do. He makes the right moves, he just doesn't have the lateral quickness to defend really fast PGs. In a conservative defensive scheme he's okay.

And most importantly: we're going to be looking for players who can provide value for money. Lou is going to get paid this summer. We want somebody who can contribute in Lou's role for approximately what we're paying Lou this year, and if Lou wants a raise (and he should) it's probably not going to be him. We can likely snag Lin for slightly less than what we're paying Lou right now; his stock is low right now because he was the odd man out in Houston and now he's spending his season in purgatory. Smart team management is about buying good assets low, and signing Lin this season is exactly that sort of move.

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
                              Firstly: we're playing Greivis Vasquez as our primary backup PG, and Greivis is literally inferior to Lin in every single aspect of the game.

Secondly: Lin is quietly having a decent season for the Lakers - solid stats across the board and a PER of 15.7 - especially considering that Byron Scott hates him and takes pretty much every opportunity to blame him for the Lakers having a shitty season. He's also got high basketball IQ, and he's decent at shooting threes, playmaking and running the pick-n-roll (actually, he's really good at running the pick-n-roll), and those are all things we need. Lin can quarterback a team as a starter if necessary, which is also something we need and don't have right now in Lowry's absence.

As for defense - Lin isn't a great defender, but that's much more to do with his lack of lateral speed rather than not knowing what to do. He makes the right moves, he just doesn't have the lateral quickness to defend really fast PGs. In a conservative defensive scheme he's okay.

And most importantly: we're going to be looking for players who can provide value for money. Lou is going to get paid this summer. We want somebody who can contribute in Lou's role for approximately what we're paying Lou this year, and if Lou wants a raise (and he should) it's probably not going to be him. We can likely snag Lin for slightly less than what we're paying Lou right now; his stock is low right now because he was the odd man out in Houston and now he's spending his season in purgatory. Smart team management is about buying good assets low, and signing Lin this season is exactly that sort of move.
                              I agree with the buy-low mentality. Not sure that Lin can fill Lou's "role", but he can certainly be a decent back-up. A lot of the things you mention as his strengths (running the pnr, playmaking, etc) are things people used to say about GV.

Sadly Casey appears to have broken him.
                              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Working...
                              X