A Season to Forget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Season to Forget

The prolonged tailspin that this franchise has been mired in for the last two months has manifested itself into something much uglier. Fans are quickly coming to the realization that this season has been an unmitigated disaster with far reaching ramifications that might linger for years to come.

This realization was born out of disappointment of the teams current lack of direction and has regrettably evolved into hate. Fans have become so angry that an air ball can serve as a catalyst for this unbridled rage.

We have begun systematically turning on anyone and everyone in search of a scapegoat. Whether it be Bosh for failing to lead this team, Bargs for his unfulfilled potential, or the front office for masterminding this melt down.

I know everyone's angry, I'm angry too, but all this negativity towards the team and each other over who is more responsible for the teams inadequacies is getting out of hand. Everyone in the franchise is responsible to some degree, but pointing these angry fingers at Jose for his matador defense or Turk for his laissez faire attitude is not really part of the solution.

Yes, this team is in bad shape and Bosh would be crazy to resign, but all is not lost. Weems and Derozan are the two most promising wing players since the caustic cousins were reigning. Bargs, while certainly not of the franchise saving mold is still a very talented player who can't possibly have any more backward steps left to take.

Rather than focus on all the negative aspects of this team, can we not end the season with a little dignity and class. For all the energy we expend booing the constant miscues, why not redirect our energies towards the stellar play of Weems and Jack. Two guys who have been killing themselves and have refused to give up on this season, this team or themselves.

I get what your saying, but this is the second year that this team should have been 4 seed, and this is the second year that we have missed the playoffs yet again (it has not happened yet, but its going to very soon)

un like leafs fans, I can see how the raptors fans are becoming fed up with this teams performance. I think bosh leaving will allow this franchise to go in a new direction finally.

Weems has tons of promise, DD on the other hand has shown little promise all year long. He needs to learn to drive when needed, but more importantly the guy needs to develop his shooting

Comment

I like the positivity but... the (mostly) excellent play of these two is definitely going to be outweighed by all the lack of production from the rest of the players, save for Bosh. I've never turned off as many games as often and as early as I have this season. It's just way too frustrating to sit back all the time and watch it happen and not comment on it. Some will comment a lot more than others and harp on the negativities which the season has brought, but I guess that's just them showing they care and want change. Personally, I try to stay away from it but sometimes you just get to that point.

Anyways, as much as I want the team in the playoffs, without Bosh there isn't a hope in Hades of even competing with Cleveland. So I'd prefer to lose out and go into the draft with a plan and hopefully come out of the Bosh situation without getting totally ripped off(if it's a S&T). If we're going to re-build without Bosh then let's go all out and do it right like OKC and Memphis seem t have. Though we have a few possible key players already here, Weems and DeRozan.

Comment

I remember during the All-Star Break, all was well with the Raptors. Chris Bosh hit the game winning free-throws in the All-Star game and everything was swell for Raptors fans. Oh how things have changed from that point.

Comment

I felt this way before the season began. This depression about the Raptors team and the feeling of a wasted season ... and possibly a wasted era (Bosh leaving) as a result.

There have been some enjoyable moments in the season though. I loved seeing Chris Bosh take his game to another level. I also thought Jarrett Jack had a breakout season and I was very impressed with him. And I liked the potential DeMar DeRozan showed. Sonny Weems was a nice surprise too, on that came out of nowhere.
          nbaroundtable

Comment

CB4 wrote: View Post
            I remember during the All-Star Break, all was well with the Raptors. Chris Bosh hit the game winning free-throws in the All-Star game and everything was swell for Raptors fans. Oh how things have changed from that point.
            As has been discussed here much before...something happened during the allstar game break. The team did not just fall apart physically from the winning period and generally acceptable play (not Hedo though) before. BC himself mentioned this period somewhat cryptically in an interview. I hope at some time not too distant the story gets told in this regard because mentally the team just sucked thereafter. It is interesting that early in this tailspin there wasnt another meeting called. The current problems just didnt happen last week.

My own guess is that the team found out that CB not coming back was a distinct possibility.

Comment

Mack North wrote: View Post
              I like the positivity but... the (mostly) excellent play of these two is definitely going to be outweighed by all the lack of production from the rest of the players, save for Bosh. I've never turned off as many games as often and as early as I have this season. It's just way too frustrating to sit back all the time and watch it happen and not comment on it. Some will comment a lot more than others and harp on the negativities which the season has brought, but I guess that's just them showing they care and want change. Personally, I try to stay away from it but sometimes you just get to that point.

Anyways, as much as I want the team in the playoffs, without Bosh there isn't a hope in Hades of even competing with Cleveland. So I'd prefer to lose out and go into the draft with a plan and hopefully come out of the Bosh situation without getting totally ripped off(if it's a S&T). If we're going to re-build without Bosh then let's go all out and do it right like OKC and Memphis seem t have. Though we have a few possible key players already here, Weems and DeRozan.
              screw the draft and all this hogwash. we were going in the right direction to wards the end of last season and that was largely do to marion. with marion, bosh and bargnani were playing way better had some of the load of their back and he did all the things we were missing.

what do we do, we refuse to pay marion 9 or 10 mill. a year let him go and bring in a guy that's the same age pay him 12 million over 5 years and we never fill all the gaps left by marion. that's whats been the root of this seasons problems.

turkolgu has underachieved and when bosh went down with injury he showed all the gaps that weren't filled after marion left. bosh didn't come back playing as welll and the seasons gone to shit.

the problem is also in the middle of the season the raptors were playing at 100% when all the good teams and such were playing at 70 or 80% just cruising along until when it really counted then they started playing their 100% percent ball and that's just about when the raptors started sucking and the raptors were finished playing their 100% ball, and they now find themselves playing their 80,70,even 60% ball and their lucky to make the playoffs.
              If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                screw the draft and all this hogwash. we were going in the right direction to wards the end of last season and that was largely do to marion. with marion, bosh and bargnani were playing way better had some of the load of their back and he did all the things we were missing.

what do we do, we refuse to pay marion 9 or 10 mill. a year let him go and bring in a guy that's the same age pay him 12 million over 5 years and we never fill all the gaps left by marion. that's whats been the root of this seasons problems.

turkolgu has underachieved and when bosh went down with injury he showed all the gaps that weren't filled after marion left. bosh didn't come back playing as welll and the seasons gone to shit.

the problem is also in the middle of the season the raptors were playing at 100% when all the good teams and such were playing at 70 or 80% just cruising along until when it really counted then they started playing their 100% percent ball and that's just about when the raptors started sucking and the raptors were finished playing their 100% ball, and they now find themselves playing their 80,70,even 60% ball and their lucky to make the playoffs.
                What's the difference if they make it, really? A quick 4 and out. Sure it'll give some of the young guys playoff experience, but if they don't make it at least they have a lottery pick which could be another piece to the young core we have. I'd rather go forward with that.

Comment

Being a fan of the Edmonton Oilers I can truly say I would like to appreciate the positive nature of your post but my outlook is too jaded to do so. Last few years the Oilers managment went whale hunting - every off-season they would let good players wait, wither and (eventually) leave while they waited on some superstar to 'pick' them.

In the case of the Raptors it is clear that BC keeps trying catch lightning in a bottle - and those bottles keep exploding. Paying Calderon $8+ million a year is okay IF the rest of the team is defensively sound... well... guess not...

Is BC just the management version of Nellie?

Triano isn't much better. The 3-ring circus of doom (Jack, Calderon & Turkoglu), DeRozan playing starter minutes well past his best before date, partial minutes to non-performers...

Will Triano ever learn how to adjust to momentium changes in a game?

Myself, I don't see where there will be a real improvment next year. Even IF (all next year):

- Bargs comes back and and plays post first;
                  - Turkoglu comes back and plays like he gives a damn;
                  - Calderon comes back and dedicates himself to stopping ANYONE; and
                  - DeRozan improves

Bosh will be gone (imo) and this will still be a team finishing just out of the play-offs and drafting from the leftover pile. BC shot his wad on Bargs and then Turks. While Bargs HAS shown some improvement year-over-year it hasn't been the kind of improvement one needs from a 1st overall in order to justify the pick and the salaries attached. Turks has been a disaster.

Comment

Working...
                  X