NBA Coaches Ranked - Casey 13th: ESPN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBA Coaches Ranked - Casey 13th: ESPN

We asked our ESPN Forecast panel to rate every team's coach. In particular, we asked the voters to rate each coach on his guidance and leadership in terms of how it affects overall on-court success, both in the short and long term.

1 San Antonio Spurs
    Gregg Popovich 9.70

2 Atlanta Hawks
    Mike Budenholzer 8.78

3 Golden State Warriors
    Steve Kerr 8.39

4 Dallas Mavericks
    Rick Carlisle 8.22

5 Chicago Bulls
    Tom Thibodeau 7.87

6 Miami Heat
    Erik Spoelstra 7.48

7 Portland Trail Blazers
    Terry Stotts 7.17

8 Los Angeles Clippers
    Doc Rivers 7.13

(tie) Boston Celtics
    Brad Stevens 7.04

(tie) Indiana Pacers
    Frank Vogel 7.04

11 Memphis Grizzlies
    Dave Joerger 7.00

12 Milwaukee Bucks
    Jason Kidd 6.78

13 Toronto Raptors
    Dwane Casey 6.74

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12...gs-top-coaches

Well that ranking description doesn't get any more vague.

Can we trade him? His value must have gone up with this. lol
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

1. Pop
      2. Pop 2.0

Comment

Jorge Sedano on NBA Lockdown said he was in the conversation for third best coach this season, and Israel Gutierrez didn't really object, nor did Amin El Hassan.

The mainstream media has no real idea how bad he is.

Comment

If the voters are just people that visit the ESPN website, this is basically just a coaching popularity contest. It would have been interesting if they waited until the end of the season to make these rankings.
          OG is our king

Comment

Am surprised that Wittman is 26th and Casey 13th...they're proteges of each other with teams in a spiral.

Joerger should be ranked higher I thought. Mchale as well ?

Comment

Meh. Looks a lot like garbage to me.

Comment

I like it. I think they got it right.

Scott Brooks #20. Can't argue with that too. Overrated coach.
                Mamba Mentality

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                  Am surprised that Wittman is 26th and Casey 13th...they're proteges of each other with teams in a spiral.

Joerger should be ranked higher I thought. Mchale as well ?
                  Forget trying to make sense of it. The fact alone that two interim coaches are not at the bottom is pretty odd to me, especially since how coaches can affect long-term success is supposedly a factor.

Comment

consmap wrote: View Post
                    If the voters are just people that visit the ESPN website, this is basically just a coaching popularity contest. It would have been interesting if they waited until the end of the season to make these rankings.
                    So you're saying Casey is a popular coach?

If its about popularity, then guys like Hollins, and Brooks and SVG would be in the top 10.
                    Mamba Mentality

Comment

They have a list of who is on the panel. It's a long list of sports editors, writers, bloggers, analysts, etc. Your mileage may vary.

Casey is pretty much right where he should be (maybe a little high). He's an average NBA head coach and he's in the middle of the pack. No surprise.

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                        So you're saying Casey is a popular coach?

If that is true, then guys like Hollins, and Brooks and SVG would be in the top 10.
                        Popularity is definitely a factor I think; but not all popular coaches will have a higher rank. At least, with guys like Hollins and Brooks like you stated, because they've been at the helm of some upper-tier teams they've had more attention and people are more aware of their weaknesses. This is why they're lower on the list IMO.

With Casey, he's still in his second year as the head coach of a playoff-bound team and his weaknesses are slowly becoming more apparent to the rest of the league. Those who have a more invested interest in the NBA will be aware of his flaws, but the casual fan might not. I think his rank might have been a bit higher if it wasn't for his decision making in the past few games.

EDIT: I'll admit that I didn't read the article. Didn't know votes came from a panel of people with more in-depth knowledge
                        Last edited by consmap; Thu Mar 26, 2015, 06:00 PM.
                        OG is our king

Comment

There's really no effective way to "rank" coaches, just like trying to compare players across eras. Way too many variables at play.

That said - how is Spoelstra still top 6? Bosh hasn't been out that long, and his team arguably still has more talent than most and plays in the East. Wade's been relatively healthy and productive too.

Comment

Three sub .500 coaches ahead of Casey and a few McHale, Brooks just low because of media hate.

Comment

Pretty sure the voters are NBA people.

.....probably the interns - lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X