No announcement yet.

Game #74: Houston Rockets 96 - Toronto Raptors 99

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great discussion guys. Opens up some interesting lines of thought.

Not sure which one of the assistant coaches red these posts but might as well tell him right now not to bother mentioning any of this to Dwayne. Just save yourself from getting into his bad books.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
      Looks like Rocwell was right...hit the shot after a Ross gamble.
      I wasn't. Ross was just trailing behind James after the screen.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
        One thing nobody has said yet, I still hated the last play of the game. Iso shot over a man covering well. Looks like it was one of our 25% of the times it was successful. Not sustainable in a best of 7. Oh well, we won right.
        As much as I harp on shot selection, at that moment in the game, with DeRozan feeling it, I didn't mind the shot. You knew his concentration level was amped up, was checked by a notoriously poor defender, and the shot wasn't that far from the basket.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
          Yeah, I'm just more concerned with the 2nd. Not sure who would deter the elite talents of the league.
          Hibbert anchoring the Pacers defense would change shots pretty dramatically - even affected Lebron's shot charts in the playoffs.

JV doesn't play enough to have a rep that might deter players yet, but he's always had very good rim protection stats. Here's to hoping the Raps make better use of his strengths in the future.
          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post

That 7 footer James hit w/ Jonas on the floor.
            rocwell wrote: View Post
            oh and look at DD. He abandons his responsibility to defend a pass to Ariza by providing NOT NEEDED HELP! That's how teams get wide open three pointers against us. Breakdowns everywhere.
            I would have to see the footage, but it looks like DeMar is playing the second rotation and going to over Jonas' man, which is exactly the right thing to do and something the Raps only do about 1% of the time. This is why when Jonas rotates to cover a drive he ends up getting burned by the 2 on 1 and the announcers blame him and Ross for their PnR coverage. What needs to happen is a third defender needs to anticipate and rotate to Jonas man so JV can fully commit to the ball without feeling like he has to hang around the middle to try to defend both players at once.

If the pass goes to Ariza then DeMar has to recover hard and fast to challenge the shot, JV should rotate back to his man, and Ross should get back on Harden.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
              I would have to see the footage, but it looks like DeMar is playing the second rotation and going to over Jonas' man, which is exactly the right thing to do and something the Raps only do about 1% of the time. This is why when Jonas rotates to cover a drive he ends up getting burned by the 2 on 1 and the announcers blame him and Ross for their PnR coverage. What needs to happen is a third defender needs to anticipate and rotate to Jonas man so JV can fully commit to the ball without feeling like he has to hang around the middle to try to defend both players at once.

If the pass goes to Ariza then DeMar has to recover hard and fast to challenge the shot, JV should rotate back to his man, and Ross should get back on Harden.
              Right. You're correct on this. Usually our boys DD and Ross love to leave perimeter when their responsibility is to defend a pass. They never defend a pass when there is someone ready to rotate if needed, too bad that always ends in a wide open shot! It's been 2 years already with this system, but no worries, Casey know what he's doing, he's pounding a rock without adjustments.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

This is what I think too. Demar is making the right play and a pass to Ariza due to the fact that Ross is right in harden and ariza's way.
                "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                  As much as I harp on shot selection, at that moment in the game, with DeRozan feeling it, I didn't mind the shot. You knew his concentration level was amped up, was checked by a notoriously poor defender, and the shot wasn't that far from the basket.
                  True, but did all those factors weigh in on the coach's decision, or was that the play come hell or high water?
                  9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

True, but did all those factors weigh in on the coach's decision, or was that the play come hell or high water?
                    I'm 100% convinced that Casey had his thumb up his ass during that whole sequence.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                      I'm 100% convinced that Casey had his thumb up his ass during that whole sequence.
                      Haha, watching the game later I did notice DeRozan missed the exact same shot with about 5 minutes to go in the 4th.

He did hit a couple big jumpers against Brooklyn last year from the same side of the floor, a little further out. It's not that he won't hit those, it's that he'll only hit them 25-40% of the time. 40% is probably a bit high even - defense is always tighter in clutch situations.

Comment

Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

When Casey's kid was born, what was the first word he learned? SCRAMBLE!
                          "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                            Not to take away from JVs performance, because he had a hell of a game, but I don't think he had a huge impact on Harden driving or not. He attempted 11 Field Goals at the basket and made 6, plus getting to the line 12 times - which is 2 more than his average.
                            DanH wrote: View Post
                            Uhh, yeah. Harden attempted 10 shots within 10 feet of the basket. He was 6/7 when JV was off the floor. He was 0/3 when he was on the floor.
                            Thanks DanH. Was getting to this, but went a little further:

In JV's 28:26 minutes, the Rockets as a team made 6 layups and got 5 OREB while JV was on the floor (2 OREBs were after blocks) (oh and 5 individual blocks, with 1 more coming from DD)

In his 19:34 minutes off the floor, the Rockets made 12 layups and had 7 OREBs. (1 block)

JV has actually become very good at shutting down the paint and could be a key cog in a very good defense if played appropriately in a system not designed to pull him away from there.

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post

In JV's 28:26 minutes, the Rockets as a team made 6 layups and got 5 OREB while JV was on the floor (2 OREBs were after blocks) (oh and 5 individual blocks, with 1 more coming from DD)

In his 19:34 minutes off the floor, the Rockets made 12 layups and had 7 OREBs. (1 block)

JV has actually become very good at shutting down the paint and could be a key cog in a very good defense if played appropriately in a system not designed to pull him away from there.
                              Nice findings.

But again, just to clarify, I was never arguing JV isn't good defensively.
                              The point was made that Harden didn't drive against him, and I was simply pointing out that he did.

But again, nice finds. JV is a beast.

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post

This was also a great game for JV's defense, with regards to altering shots enough to cause misses. He forced some pretty awkward looking shots, even a couple from Harden, that don't get captured (directly) in the stats.

JV's overall court awareness and vision (at both ends), as well as his help defense and rim protection, are really coming along nicely. It just goes to show what more/consistent playing time can do to help develop a player, especially when he's actually integrated into the flow of the game.

Comment

Working...
                                X