can we atract free agents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can we atract free agents?

Is there anyone realistically on our wish list that is obtainable?

Yes, we can attract FAs to this town by slightly over paying them. Now, can we get real Stars coming here ? No, we can not if we don't go deep into the play offs.

Comment

Some of the fans panic reaction needs to be chilled a bit. I'm sure players talk about it amongst themselves. Money and a decent program would attract really good talent. Not sure about superstars though .

Comment

Superstars go where the money is. If two teams can offer the same money, then they go to the team with the best chance of winning. If several teams have max money, equal chance of winning a championship, then they go to the place with the best climate and endorsement deals.

Unless they are near the end of their playing career and haven't won a championship...then they take just a few mill and go for the championship.

Comment

Winning attracts free agents

Not image or anything else. Winning.

Comment

In short...yes.

Management and org. setup since MU is a plus. He seems to have a good relationship with his players...and players talk amongst themselves. The coaching situation...is another...and I have no idea what the players think about that. If Casey is replaced that would be a non-issue unless a known less than friendly players "coach" is hired. I think the Raptors should stick with the market value concept of salaries except in a very special player/circumstance where that might be a stumbling block.

I am comfortable saying that the Raptors are a middle of the pack (maybe slightly above) team with an upward trajectory (somewhat stalled currently)...so we should not have too much of a problem with the second tier f/a who maybe willing to work towards a championship type team. In the immediate however our best source of talent will come through trades.

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
              Winning attracts free agents

Not image or anything else. Winning.
              Agreed. That is why getting through a round in the playoffs this year is so critical. Potential recruits will look at us as a team that is progressing ---that can only help our chances of landing someone big.

Comment

rightsideup wrote: View Post
                Is there anyone realistically on our wish list that is obtainable?
                Short answer, yes, there are obtainable players on our wish list. I'm just going to focus on some UFA since they are inherently more obtainable than RFA.

For instance, if we really want Demarre Carrol, I'm sure we can make him an offer higher than Atlanta would be willing to make. Now, Carrol is a UFA, but I'm assuming he'd rather stay with Atlanta then go somewhere else, all things being equal. Which is why we need to make things not equal and offer above what Atlanta offers. They need to resign Millsap as well, so poaching Carrol seems pretty realistic to me with a mild overpay.

Another guy who seems realistically getable is Greg Monroe. After the way Detroit dicked him around and forced him to take his qualifying offer to get to UFA status, combined with the fact Detroit isn't very good and is a much less desriable city than Toronto, I don't see him wanting to stay in Detroit. So since he's likely to leave Detroit, I'd say he is realistically getable for Toronto if we want him.

Another guy I could see us getting with a mild overpay is Danny Green, with the same logic I used for Carrol. He'd probably stay a Spur all things being equal, but he's due for a big raise from what he's getting now, so we have an opportunity to outbid the Spurs and steal him away.

Those are 3 off the top of my head, I'm sure there are a bunch more UFA that we would want that we could get with the right offer.

Comment

Role players and borderline all-stars get attracted to "Winning". Superstars bring winning to any city they choose.
                  Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

No NBA big man will be attracted to Toronto.
                    "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                      Role players and borderline all-stars get attracted to "Winning". Superstars bring winning to any city they choose.
                      100% true! Superstars care about legacies more than anything. It's big picture for them and not just bottom line stuff... They look at projects and their influence on it. It's influence at executive and ownership level plus how their involvement plays into their own brands.
                      Give me liberty or give me a bran muffin! - Colin Mochrie

Comment

The term Superstar gets bantered a lot around here, but it's a very ill defined concept. For some people it's a player who can make a team a winner all by himself. I'm not sure if that's even a real thing these days, you need a strong supporting cast or you're not winning shit, no matter how good you are. For instance, I'd call Cousins and Davis both superstars, but their teams aren't playoff teams, and Cousins team is downright terrible. Is there anyone in this free agency class that you consider a superstar? I'm not seeing any superstars, but I do see a lot of very good all star caliber players.

Comment

We need free agents to win but we need to win to attract free agents. What a vicious cycle
                          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                            We need free agents to win but we need to win to attract free agents. What a vicious cycle
                            Not really, we've won this year and last year without free agents. It's all about the trades/draft.

I don't think Toronto can realistically attract the very top free agents like Lebron or Aldridge or Marc Gasol, but I definitely think we could get average players as free agents which we've shown in the past (although admittedly that's usually through overspending).

Comment

Raptorsnz wrote: View Post
                              Not really, we've won this year and last year without free agents. It's all about the trades/draft.

I don't think Toronto can realistically attract the very top free agents like Lebron or Aldridge or Marc Gasol, but I definitely think we could get average players as free agents which we've shown in the past (although admittedly that's usually through overspending).
                              That's not just a Toronto problem, that's an every team problem. Those guys are almost certainly sticking with their current teams. Very rarely does a top free agent change teams unless his current team is really crap, and if their current team is crap, are they really a top free agent or just putting up big numbers on a bad team?

Comment

Working...
                              X