Building Blocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building Blocks

With our prolonged struggle this season I thought before heading into the post season/off season it would be a good idea to see which players are the building blocks/core pieces of the franchise. Also we should discuss which direction we want to see the team build towards.

Personally I want to see a Raptors team that plays inside out like the Hawks, but scores more out of the post like Memphis. Also I want them to slow the pace and play catered to big men surrounded by shooters who pass the ball quick.

I broke our current roster into 3 groups: Core, Transition, and Nope. Core and Nope are pretty self-explanitory. Culture changes and system changes take a long time, and we cannot immediately overhaul and upgrade the talent into a perfect machine. Therefore I dubbed Transition as the group of players who would fit a certain role while we attain talent, but currently havent showed that they are the long term solution:

CORE:
    Lowry
    JV
    Bruno

TRANSITION:
    James Johnson
    Patterson
    *Ross (favourable contract)

NOPE:
    Everyone else

So that leaves me with 6 roster players. Bruno I would like to say could average 15 minutes next season, but I still have lots of roster spots I need to fill this summer O_o

What are your "Core, Transition, and Nope" players? And what kind of basketball do you want to see the Raptors play?

Bruno is the core of this team ? Based on what, his height?

Core of this team are:

Lowry, DD and JV.

Anyone else and all our draft picks should be in play to bring the Super Star to this town.

Comment

McRealistic wrote: View Post

Core of this team are:

Lowry, DD and JV.

Anyone else and all our draft picks should be in play to bring the Super Star to this town.
      What style of play do you want them to play?

Comment

Nice question.

CORE:
        Basically I want to see these guys as a focal point and have the right to reassess

JV
        Ross
        Bruno
        Bebe

TRANSITION
        Lowry
        Derozan
        Patterson
        JJ

NOPE
        Not a part of the future 2-3 years down the road

Everyone else

Basically the only "true core" I see is JV. Bruno and Bebe have potential only at this moment and Ross needs better consistency but I like him as a role player for the future.

Lowry is awesome but i can't put him in my core, if he maintains high level of play and works with new coach you keep him. Derozan is an AS in the right system I think. Can't put him in my core until I see it actually happen though. JJ and PP are great role players with a good attitude you keep around

The rest are replaceable in my eyes, or ready for an upgrade.

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
          What style of play do you want them to play?
          I want them to get a good coach first and then we can talk about the style of the play. I know you are all about J.V. but at this point, I want to see more from him before trying to create a style with J.V. as its focal point.

Bring in a good coach, try to build a team that will compete next year and really go after the super star in 2016.
          I have not seen anything from Bruno that makes me think he HAS TO BE a part of the future.

Comment

Core of this team are:

Lowry, DD and JV.

I agree that they are in the current structure. I Answered as if it was 4-5 years down the road though.

Comment

Bandit wrote: View Post
              I agree that they are in the current structure. I Answered as if it was 4-5 years down the road though.
              As I said, I have not seen anything from either Brazilians to think 4-5 years from now, they are my building block. Lets say , bruno comes next year and starts to play like the Greek Freak, then I will agree with you. Lets say, Bebe comes next year and starts to play like young Ibaka, and then I agree with you.

I think next year is huge for both of these guys. In another thread, I said that I think MU and Raptors failed in the first year developing Bruno. People here did not like it Then 3 days later, MU comes out and basically said this year was a wash in terms of developing Bruno which I am glad he admitted it.

I am expecting MU and his coaching staff to have serious programs this summer for developing both Bebe and Bruno and next year, allow them to show us their real potentials.
              Last edited by McRealistic; Sat Mar 28, 2015, 05:17 PM.

Comment

I would have a "True" Core and a "Potentially part of" Core section.

CORE
                Valanciunas
                Lowry

POTENTIALLY PART OF CORE
                Bruno
                Bebe
                DeRozan (still have hope he can play well in a good system)

TRANSITION
                James Johnson
                Patterson
                Ross

NOPE
                Everyone else
                Last edited by Mindlessness; Sat Mar 28, 2015, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Then 3 days later, MU comes out and basically said this year was a wash in terms of developing Bruno which I am glad he admitted it.
                  Personally, I thought he just meant this was a year for Bruno to learn English, understand Basketball, improve his BBall IQ. I think he said wash to say that the amount of minutes Bruno got anywhere was basically the amount he's getting now.

Comment

As I said, I have not seen anything from either Brazilians to think 4-5 years from now, they are my building block. Lets say , bruno comes next year and starts to play like the Greek Freak, then I will agree with you. Lets say, Bebe comes next year and starts to play like young Ibaka, and then I agree with you.

I think next year is huge for both of these guys. In another thread, I said that I think MU and Raptors failed in the first year developing Bruno. People here did not like it Then 3 days later, MU comes out and basically said this year was a wash in terms of developing Bruno which I am glad he admitted it.

I am expecting MU and his coaching staff to have serious programs this summer for developing both Bebe and Bruno and next year, allow them to show us their real potentials.
                    I agree with you, but I think having at least one of them become above average is incredibly important for the raptors. That's why they're in the core and I added the ability to reassess caveat.

They're in the core because the raptors need one of them to become "something" and they need as much attention this summer as if they are the future of this team. I can't put derozan or Lowry in the core because they don't need that focus and I don't know effective they will be in 4-5 years.

Comment

I agree with you, but I think having at least one of them become above average is incredibly important for the raptors. That's why they're in the core and I added the ability to reassess caveat.
                      I agree with you. It would be huge if at least one these guys pan out the way we are hoping.

Comment

CORE

Lowry
                        Val
                        Bruno
                        Patterson (26, great 3pt shooter, good defender)
                        JJ (Great FG%, great defender)

TRANSITION

Demar
                        Ross
                        Amir

NOPE

Lou
                        GV
                        The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

I want them to get a good coach first and then we can talk about the style of the play. I know you are all about J.V. but at this point, I want to see more from him before trying to create a style with J.V. as its focal point.

Bring in a good coach, try to build a team that will compete next year and really go after the super star in 2016.
                          I have not seen anything from Bruno that makes me think he HAS TO BE a part of the future.
                          I think it would be a good idea to identify a style of play you want first. Then hire a coach with similar goals. That way front offices and coaches work well together. Cant put the horse before the cart. Personal opinion.

Comment

That wasn't my interpretation of what Masai said.

He said the year was a wash but he said it was always going to be like this. I didn't take his comments to mean the year was a waste. The whole purpose of this year, according to his most recent comments and my interpretation, was for Bruno to get stronger. I'm sure becoming fluent in the English language and experiencing the grind of an NBA schedule was important as well.

I'm not sure what will come of Bruno but his shooting stroke and length would be must have's when doing a list of desirable attributes for your ideal SF. Again, we'll see what comes of him but any comments one way or the other right now is purely speculative opinion.

Comment

Nice question.

CORE:
                              Basically I want to see these guys as a focal point and have the right to reassess

JV
                              Ross
                              Bruno
                              Bebe

TRANSITION
                              Lowry
                              Derozan
                              Patterson
                              JJ

NOPE
                              Not a part of the future 2-3 years down the road

Everyone else

Basically the only "true core" I see is JV. Bruno and Bebe have potential only at this moment and Ross needs better consistency but I like him as a role player for the future.

Lowry is awesome but i can't put him in my core, if he maintains high level of play and works with new coach you keep him. Derozan is an AS in the right system I think. Can't put him in my core until I see it actually happen though. JJ and PP are great role players with a good attitude you keep around

The rest are replaceable in my eyes, or ready for an upgrade.
                              Surprised to see Ross in the core section, even as a Ross suporter.

Re Lowry: I doubt he maintains his play from the beginning of the season. However, I put him in my core because I like his attitude and how hard he competes on the floor. That in its self is an amazing attribute to developing and maintaining a high level system. Lowry and JV are the only two rotation players that play hard and hit the deck on the regular

Comment

Working...
                              X