Compression Gear a placebo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meh. I don't think it does anything.

Compression clothing is like the new football armband. Back in the early 2000's, Iverson was the only player in the NBA that wears the football armband. He's started that look. Now every players wear it. It looks cool...... i guess... so that's why they wear it.
    Mamba Mentality

Comment

Personally helps me with cramping...especially hamstrings

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
        Personally helps me with cramping...especially hamstrings
        People always complain about that, but I've never had a cramp anywhere before. It's weird.
        I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

It's a proven fact that compression shirts increase bench press in power lifters. They even list record lifts w/ and w/out compression shirts because the difference is so dramatic. Not sure how that applies to basketball, but compression shirts absolutely do something in certain contexts.

Comment

Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
            People always complain about that, but I've never had a cramp anywhere before. It's weird.
            No worries, plenty of men never had a cramp. That's why you can find millions memes about LeBron and his cramp.

Cramps are no joke y'all!

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
              Hey guys, remember when NBA players weren't pansies? I miss those days....

In today's NBA, that's a flagrant foul and quite possibly a double-technical.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                It's a proven fact that compression shirts increase bench press in power lifters. They even list record lifts w/ and w/out compression shirts because the difference is so dramatic. Not sure how that applies to basketball, but compression shirts absolutely do something in certain contexts.
                Are those "bench shirts" the same as regular compression clothing? Or are they specifically designed for the purpose of lifting more weight?

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                  In today's NBA, both Oak and Rodman would get T'd up for simply stepping on the floor.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    Are those "bench shirts" the same as regular compression clothing? Or are they specifically designed for the purpose of lifting more weight?
                    I think they provide more compression than a typical basketball compression shirt. My basic understanding is that the compression shirt acts like artificial shoulders and chest to resist the movement (like a spring) and give you a boost when you lift. That would seem to be pretty helpful on the knees in basketball, having extra support like a spring so it's not as hard on your knees when you're jumping up and down. Also would provide extra support for the chest and shoulders to help prevent injuries there too. Basketball doesn't really have strength movements, so it seems the compression gear is mainly for injury prevention.

Comment

I wouldn't compare the two. The bench/squat suits that powerlifters wear are so tight that they are actually painful to put on and take off. They basically pack your body in so tight that it is forced into a specific movement pattern. This prevents the weight being lifted from going off the ideal movement path when lifting upwards of 600lbs. The compression gear worn by basketball players is more for keeping muscles warm and activated throughout the entire game/practice. Additionally, lots of the stuff out these days has the padding on it. The compression underwear has light padding on the ass, tailbone, and side of hips for guys like D. Rose or D Wade who have made a career out of flying at the hoop at mach 1 and landing on the floor 75% of the time.

Comment

92TillInfinity wrote: View Post
                        I wouldn't compare the two. The bench/squat suits that powerlifters wear are so tight that they are actually painful to put on and take off. They basically pack your body in so tight that it is forced into a specific movement pattern. This prevents the weight being lifted from going off the ideal movement path when lifting upwards of 600lbs. The compression gear worn by basketball players is more for keeping muscles warm and activated throughout the entire game/practice. Additionally, lots of the stuff out these days has the padding on it. The compression underwear has light padding on the ass, tailbone, and side of hips for guys like D. Rose or D Wade who have made a career out of flying at the hoop at mach 1 and landing on the floor 75% of the time.
                        Like a sweater

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                          92TillInfinity wrote: View Post
                          Are you guys talking about like the belt in this pic?

"Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

Most players wear compression pads just because it looks cool.

Also, a lot of NBA players like Westbrook and Dwight have chicken legs so they use pads to conceal them or divert attention. Not tryna sound like a dick, just pointing out the obvious.

Comment

Working...
                            X