Everything 2024 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yuri Gagarin wrote: View Post
    Ya Id take holmes too. Well rounded game. His pump fake opens up drives and passing out. Rim protector, moves his feet, drops threes, mixes it up. Sign me up
    Not comparing him yet but his handle and passing seems much better than OGs. Havent seen enough to comment on his defence but seems fine

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
      Yeah Holmes is solidly on my list. His defensive overlap with Scottie is kind of the one downside (not clear whether he can slide to the 3 or the 5 on that end yet).

I starting to think though that he's a candidate to move up the board and be gone by 19.
      he moves like JV, lol
      awkward

Comment

• Ya, Holmes isn’t a fluid athlete, very robotic in the way he moves, almost uncoordinated. I would take him at 31 not at 19. I don’t see a high ceiling for him.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
          Ya, Holmes isn’t a fluid athlete, very robotic in the way he moves, almost uncoordinated. I would take him at 31 not at 19. I don’t see a high ceiling for him.
          He is head and shoulders more fluid than a guy like OG. Maybe I'm watching a different guy, but he has some wiggle to his game in the post a smooth looking jumper, and nice drives off a pump fake of attacking a close out.

He came out of high school as a 6'8" 200lb big man prospect, his progression has been very steady, I would be cool with him at 19.
          Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• IF Holland is there at 19 then it's a no brainer.

Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Heck, if Holland is slipping to 12 or something, even that makes a potential Jak deal to OKC or something seem more viable to be able to grab a guy who is slipping.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Some edited ESPN notes from players potentially in the mix for 19.

McCain: Teams say McCain is taking a different strategy than most players who are in his draft range, which is believed to be around Nos. 9 to 20. He is refusing one-on-zero workouts in favor of competitive 3-on-3 group settings. Even though he is viewed as one of the best shooters in this draft, the opportunity to showcase his toughness and mentality could be beneficial, even working out mostly against projected second-round picks.

Edey: Teams say Edey's range appears to be in the Nos. 9-19 range based on the workouts he has conducted and scheduled. Several teams say Edey's productivity ranks him as a top-three prospect in this class according to their draft models. He proved nearly unstoppable in the paint at the college level, drawing fouls, crashing the offensive glass and dismantling defenses with his screening and the incredible gravity he offers diving to the rim in pick-and-roll, helping Purdue shoot 40% from the 3-point line.

Furphy: He should be off the draft board within the top 20. He offers a valid upside swing as an athletic wing who can shoot it comfortably from distance. His youth and considerable room for development both physically and skillwise should make him an attractive option for teams willing to be patient with his development.

George: will be getting looks from many of the teams looking for wing shooting from the late lottery through the early 20s, including Toronto. The fact that he stands over 6-foot-8 but has guard skills, fluidity changing speeds and strong instincts on both ends of the floor helps his appeal with multipositional versatility.
                George is a late bloomer who grew 9 inches over the past four years and wasn't expected to emerge as a one-and-done prospect upon enrolling at Miami. NBA teams are hoping to get a closer look at him in the pre-draft process to get a better feel for what his long-term trajectory might look like.

Carrington: His youth, rapid improvement, and late physical development (he shot up by nearly a foot during his high school years) makes him an intriguing upside play, with interest in the late lottery. How teams value him relative to some of the other young guards will be a determinant here, with several picks in the teens belonging to organizations that might want a more NBA-ready prospect, which may ultimately widen his range down to around No. 20 or so. His impressive year at Pitt, after entering the season relatively off the radar, gives him a compelling long-term case.

Filipowski: He is shaping up to have a pretty wide range, with interest from teams in the late lottery but also feasible scenarios where he could fall into the 20s. His skill level at 7 feet sets him apart from the other bigs in this draft, but his skills are also somewhat fit-specific to teams willing to utilize him creatively.

Collier: He has one of the widest draft ranges of any prospect in this draft, starting in the late lottery and extending through the 20s and perhaps beyond. He has been a hard player for teams to peg for his floor, as he's not the easiest player to slot positionally as a young, ball-dominant guard with streaky perimeter shooting. Few prospects share the size, strength, shot-creation prowess, scoring instincts, and star power Collier boasts, but he'll have to find the right team willing to live through the growing pains that come with empowering him with significant ballhandling responsibility after his uneven freshman campaign.

Missi: He is hoping to entice lottery teams in workouts with his elite physical tools, standing 7 feet with a 9-1½ standing reach and impressive mobility and explosiveness. Every team in the range from No. 9 to 20 wants to gauge his skill level and readiness for helping a team in the short term. He is competing for draft position with the likes of Edey, Ware and, to an extent, Filipowski with workouts likely going a long way in determining what order teams land on Missi. The fact he didn't start playing organized basketball until he was 16 gives him significant long-term upside to tap into.

Those are their 15-23 ranked guys, although I left out Da Silva who should be snapped up by a win-now team. Would love McCain to fall to us.
                The Edey range should please most everyone, since if he's gone by 19, it will validate the posters who like him while also ensuring there's no chance of us drafting him for the haters.

If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                  Some edited ESPN notes from players potentially in the mix for 19.

McCain: Teams say McCain is taking a different strategy than most players who are in his draft range, which is believed to be around Nos. 9 to 20. He is refusing one-on-zero workouts in favor of competitive 3-on-3 group settings. Even though he is viewed as one of the best shooters in this draft, the opportunity to showcase his toughness and mentality could be beneficial, even working out mostly against projected second-round picks.

Edey: Teams say Edey's range appears to be in the Nos. 9-19 range based on the workouts he has conducted and scheduled. Several teams say Edey's productivity ranks him as a top-three prospect in this class according to their draft models. He proved nearly unstoppable in the paint at the college level, drawing fouls, crashing the offensive glass and dismantling defenses with his screening and the incredible gravity he offers diving to the rim in pick-and-roll, helping Purdue shoot 40% from the 3-point line.

Furphy: He should be off the draft board within the top 20. He offers a valid upside swing as an athletic wing who can shoot it comfortably from distance. His youth and considerable room for development both physically and skillwise should make him an attractive option for teams willing to be patient with his development.

George: will be getting looks from many of the teams looking for wing shooting from the late lottery through the early 20s, including Toronto. The fact that he stands over 6-foot-8 but has guard skills, fluidity changing speeds and strong instincts on both ends of the floor helps his appeal with multipositional versatility.
                  George is a late bloomer who grew 9 inches over the past four years and wasn't expected to emerge as a one-and-done prospect upon enrolling at Miami. NBA teams are hoping to get a closer look at him in the pre-draft process to get a better feel for what his long-term trajectory might look like.

Carrington: His youth, rapid improvement, and late physical development (he shot up by nearly a foot during his high school years) makes him an intriguing upside play, with interest in the late lottery. How teams value him relative to some of the other young guards will be a determinant here, with several picks in the teens belonging to organizations that might want a more NBA-ready prospect, which may ultimately widen his range down to around No. 20 or so. His impressive year at Pitt, after entering the season relatively off the radar, gives him a compelling long-term case.

Filipowski: He is shaping up to have a pretty wide range, with interest from teams in the late lottery but also feasible scenarios where he could fall into the 20s. His skill level at 7 feet sets him apart from the other bigs in this draft, but his skills are also somewhat fit-specific to teams willing to utilize him creatively.

Collier: He has one of the widest draft ranges of any prospect in this draft, starting in the late lottery and extending through the 20s and perhaps beyond. He has been a hard player for teams to peg for his floor, as he's not the easiest player to slot positionally as a young, ball-dominant guard with streaky perimeter shooting. Few prospects share the size, strength, shot-creation prowess, scoring instincts, and star power Collier boasts, but he'll have to find the right team willing to live through the growing pains that come with empowering him with significant ballhandling responsibility after his uneven freshman campaign.

Missi: He is hoping to entice lottery teams in workouts with his elite physical tools, standing 7 feet with a 9-1½ standing reach and impressive mobility and explosiveness. Every team in the range from No. 9 to 20 wants to gauge his skill level and readiness for helping a team in the short term. He is competing for draft position with the likes of Edey, Ware and, to an extent, Filipowski with workouts likely going a long way in determining what order teams land on Missi. The fact he didn't start playing organized basketball until he was 16 gives him significant long-term upside to tap into.

Those are their 15-23 ranked guys, although I left out Da Silva who should be snapped up by a win-now team. Would love McCain to fall to us.
                  The Edey range should please most everyone, since if he's gone by 19, it will validate the posters who like him while also ensuring there's no chance of us drafting him for the haters.

I will be very happy for Edey and myself if he is off the board before our pick. Not sure I could handle the stress levels when it becomes our turn if Edey is still on the board.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

I will be very happy for Edey and myself if he is off the board before our pick. Not sure I could handle the stress levels when it becomes our turn if Edey is still on the board.
                    Imagine if Masai passes on Edey and he eventually explodes.
                    Fire able offense.

Comment

• One benefit of these prospects having such wide ranges - good chance someone interesting is sitting there at 31 that we currently don't expect to be there. Good year to have a late 1st and early 2nd.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Heating up on Kyshaun, strikes me as a lights-out Delano Banton and that strikes me as a pretty good player. Our current system favours those that can make the pass and make the shot and he can do both - the ball skills are there and he’s big enough to make it work on D a la Slo Mo Anderson.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                          Heating up on Kyshaun, strikes me as a lights-out Delano Banton and that strikes me as a pretty good player. Our current system favours those that can make the pass and make the shot and he can do both - the ball skills are there and he’s big enough to make it work on D a la Slo Mo Anderson.
                          'current system'
                          Be careful drafting with that in mind instead of the BPA coz coaches are dispensable.
                          Darko won't be here for long.

Comment

• Bleacher Report has us picking Klintman at 31.

https://youtu.be/eyo29slVSzI?si=UE74f2tO_7sNRvSk

Baylor Scheirman might be the shooter that we need tho.
                            Last edited by Kagemusha; Fri Jun 7, 2024, 10:31 PM.

Comment

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post

'current system'
                              Be careful drafting with that in mind instead of the BPA coz coaches are dispensable.
                              Darko won't be here for long.
                              Possibly, but given Scotty and RJ’s development in and aptitude for a pass/cut heavy system I wouldn’t bet against it as an organization direction that would outlive Darko even if his tenure is cut short.
                              Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Sat Jun 8, 2024, 12:37 AM.

Comment

• Here is my wish list at 19

Devin Carter - May not be there, but is a two way guard who stands around 6'4 with a 6'8 wing span. Would be fun off the bench and is a really smart player.

Kel'el Ware - modern big whose game could transend Darko's system into anotehr coach. I dont want a player who can only play one style or who is a system player. They got Kelly to try to see what it would look like with a more versatile big per Bobby. But Kelly is older and can't defend. Ware can play with Poeltl in the starting line up too.

Tristan de Silva - switchable forward who can do everything really but whose developmental runway is shorter. Older but more poised as a prospect.

Ron Holland - seems to be dropping and if he drops enough you move up and get him. He has the 'talent' to be a lottery guy but also solves a lot of the wing defence issues at WORST while having the handle and overall upside to maybe one day punch up into stardom.

Collier - isn't my favorite guard but the talent is clearly there and he would fit a need with his ability to create his own shot. I see him more as a combo guard but its one way to move from JFL to someone with major talent upside in a sense.

Bub - lowest down on the list but he remains relatively high enough that I would say fine pick him if the others aren't there or the options to move up aren't available. He has the shot making upside. Has the tools to be a good defender but hasn't shown it yet. Is very young.

Comment

Working...
                                X