Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do you rate DD among the two's in the NBA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
    are you implying that he was ever in the top three?
    yes last season
    Abbas wrote:

First of all i was my own source

Comment

DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
      are you implying that he was ever in the top three?
      Demar was a top 3 SG last season
      I know this may be a bit controversial but I think the Raptors have proven that they're the best team in the NBA from Canada
      -random Facebook user. 2016

Comment

YoungGunRaptor wrote: View Post
        and im sure come play off time he'll be back in the top 3
        Abbas wrote:

First of all i was my own source

Comment

YoungGunRaptor wrote: View Post
          Yea... i mean he was definitely better than Butler last year. And Klay only really emerged this season. Wade was inconsistent and injured. So DeMar was hovering around top 3, definitely top 5 last season.

Comment

DDelight wrote: View Post
            Yea... i mean he was definitely better than Butler last year. And Klay only really emerged this season. Wade was inconsistent and injured. So DeMar was hovering around top 3, definitely top 5 last season.
            Oh thought he meant start of this season. Cant remember who all was really good last year lol but 5ish sounds right

Comment

hotfuzz wrote: View Post
              SGs better than him:

Butler
              Healthy wade
              harden
              klay
              wes matthews
              healthy kobe
              Ellis is debatable
              Maybe Hayward

7-10 seems right.

Come on man that's ridiculous.
              Healthy kobe doesn't really exist anymore so I'd put DD ahead of him.

And I thought Hayward was a SF, doesn't Utah play Burke/Exum and Burks in the backcourt??

Wes is debatable as he's a 3&D.

Only guys I think are for sure are Harden, Klay, Butler, and healthy Wade(again an asterisk on this guy)

Definitely have DD 4-7 with Ellis, Wade, Beal and maybe Korver

Comment

You guys confuse individual talent and team worth all the time.

DD is pretty good in a head to head in-a-vacuum comparison of wing players. But this is a team game and you have to look at what a player brings to the team that actually impacts the game.

(All stats run for MP > 22.5)

For example, wing players with Net Ratings higher than DD:

Klay
                Igoudala
                Reddick
                Tony Allen
                Korver
                Danny Green
                Ginobli
                Lou Williams
                Wesley Matthews
                Harden
                Middleton
                Beal
                Anthony Morrow
                Butler
                Ellis
                JR Smith
                Shumpert
                Crawford
                CJ Miles
                Lee
                Tyreke Evans

Then look at players with higher ORat:

Klay
                Reddick
                Lou Williams
                Korver
                Igoudala
                Ross
                Crawford
                JR Smith
                Danny Green
                Harden
                Tyreke Evans
                Ellis

Then look at players with a higher TS% on >22% Usage:

Harden
                Klay
                Lou Williams
                Kevin Martin
                Ginobili
                Wade
                Crawford
                Stuckey
                Oladipo
                Mayo
                Nick Young
                Beal
                Wiggins
                CJ Miles
                Ellis

Then look at NBA.coms PIE:

Harden
                Wade
                Butler
                Klay
                Bryant
                Stuckey
                Lou Williams
                Tyreke Evans
                Ginobili
                Middleton

So a list of players that are definitely better than him in terms of impact on the game:

Harden
                Wade
                Bulter
                Klay
                Tyreke Evans
                Middleton
                Ginobili
                Danny Green
                JJ Reddick
                Korver
                Igoudala
                Matthews

List of players who are arguably better based on team impact:

Hayward
                Batum
                Parsons
                Ariza

List of players who are still very young, but will be better than DD:

Wiggins
                Oladipo
                McLemore
                Giannis
                Parker

Ya, you guys who think DD is a top 5 guy are smoking some funky stuff

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                  You guys confuse individual talent and team worth all the time.

DD is pretty good in a head to head in-a-vacuum comparison of wing players. But this is a team game and you have to look at what a player brings to the team that actually impacts the game.

(All stats run for MP > 22.5)

For example, wing players with Net Ratings higher than DD:

Klay
                  Igoudala
                  Reddick
                  Tony Allen
                  Korver
                  Danny Green
                  Ginobli
                  Lou Williams
                  Wesley Matthews
                  Harden
                  Middleton
                  Beal
                  Anthony Morrow
                  Butler
                  Ellis
                  JR Smith
                  Shumpert
                  Crawford
                  CJ Miles
                  Lee
                  Tyreke Evans

Then look at players with higher ORat:

Klay
                  Reddick
                  Lou Williams
                  Korver
                  Igoudala
                  Ross
                  Crawford
                  JR Smith
                  Danny Green
                  Harden
                  Tyreke Evans
                  Ellis

Then look at players with a higher TS% on >22% Usage:

Harden
                  Klay
                  Lou Williams
                  Kevin Martin
                  Ginobili
                  Wade
                  Crawford
                  Stuckey
                  Oladipo
                  Mayo
                  Nick Young
                  Beal
                  Wiggins
                  CJ Miles
                  Ellis

Then look at NBA.coms PIE:

Harden
                  Wade
                  Butler
                  Klay
                  Bryant
                  Stuckey
                  Lou Williams
                  Tyreke Evans
                  Ginobili
                  Middleton

So a list of players that are definitely better than him in terms of impact on the game:

Harden
                  Wade
                  Bulter
                  Klay
                  Tyreke Evans
                  Middleton
                  Ginobili
                  Danny Green
                  JJ Reddick
                  Korver
                  Igoudala
                  Matthews

List of players who are arguably better based on team impact:

Hayward
                  Batum
                  Parsons
                  Ariza

List of players who are still very young, but will be better than DD:

Wiggins
                  Oladipo
                  McLemore
                  Giannis
                  Parker

Ya, you guys who think DD is a top 5 guy are smoking some funky stuff
                  Are you sure you're not the one looking at things in a vacuum? I'm sorry, neither Reddick or Korver are better basketball players than Demar. They are better 3pt shooters and better off the ball players. Switch either of them with Demar and our team gets much worse. Context is everything in the NBA. At the end of the day one has to decide what one needs from the position in question. And given our current personnel and system, there are a bunch of players of your list which just wouldn't be better than Demar is for the team. Stuckey, Mayo, Nick Young? Dude, you know better than that. And if 3pt shooting is what you want from the the SG spot, than great, Korver would be awesome. But what you gonna do to get him the ball? Our system isn't gonna get great shooters good looks consistently. That's the way it is. Buy hey, if CJ Miles has a better TS% than Demar, than I guess clearly he is the better player.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                    Are you sure you're not the one looking at things in a vacuum? I'm sorry, neither Reddick or Korver are better basketball players than Demar. They are better 3pt shooters and better off the ball players. Switch either of them with Demar and our team gets much worse. Context is everything in the NBA. At the end of the day one has to decide what one needs from the position in question. And given our current personnel and system, there are a bunch of players of your list which just wouldn't be better than Demar is for the team. Stuckey, Mayo, Nick Young? Dude, you know better than that. And if 3pt shooting is what you want from the the SG spot, than great, Korver would be awesome. But what you gonna do to get him the ball? Our system isn't gonna get great shooters good looks consistently. That's the way it is. Buy hey, if CJ Miles has a better TS% than Demar, than I guess clearly he is the better player.
                    Bold 1: Yes they are. Based on the context of what they do for their teams. Both guys play a very similar roles in their offense and are very good at it. They open up a ton of open opportunities for their teammates. DD waves them off and drives into 2 defenders for a fade away 2....

Bold 2: I didn't say that. Fail on your part.

Bold 3: Yes, I listed players who were more efficient than DD as part of a basis for who is better. And CJ Miles has a better TS%, but no I did not say CJ Miles was better. Fail on your part again.

If you are going to ridicule someone for their post, please read it properly before replying

Otherwise to me it makes you look like

Who knows _____

Oh and I forgot, the list puts DD ranked 22 in the league. A long cry off "top 5"

Comment

One thing that really bothers me about DeRozan is how horrible his accuracy is. For a guy who attempts almost 17 shots per game, there is nobody else nearly as low of a shooting percentage as DeRozan, and that's not just this season. DeMar DeRozan is literally making history here.

There are a total of 5 players in the history of the game who has shot 41% or lower while averaging more than 16 field goal attempts per game. DeMar DeRozan, Deron Williams, Paul Pierce, Jamal Crawford (twice) and Stephen Jackson. Of these, only Stephen Jackson and DeRozan were playing on a winning team. That's because when you do something like that (attempt a whole bunch of shots and shoot horribly), it's detrimental towards winning games.

Now you might say DeRozan gets to the line a lot, so we should consider TS% since it accounts for free throws. Well, DeRozan is top 5 in FTA but averaging just 50.6 TS%. Going back to the NBA history books, looking at guards only, DeRozan is just amongst 4 others again who averaged below 51% TS and shot the ball 16+ times per game -- Vince Carter, Jason Richardson, Monta Ellis, Jamal Crawford. Again, no winning teams amongst those occurrences.
                      your pal,
                      ebrian

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                        One thing that really bothers me about DeRozan is how horrible his accuracy is. For a guy who attempts almost 17 shots per game, there is nobody else nearly as low of a shooting percentage as DeRozan, and that's not just this season. DeMar DeRozan is literally making history here.

There are a total of 5 players in the history of the game who has shot 41% or lower while averaging more than 16 field goal attempts per game. DeMar DeRozan, Deron Williams, Paul Pierce, Jamal Crawford (twice) and Stephen Jackson. Of these, only Stephen Jackson and DeRozan were playing on a winning team. That's because when you do something like that (attempt a whole bunch of shots and shoot horribly), it's detrimental towards winning games.

Now you might say DeRozan gets to the line a lot, so we should consider TS% since it accounts for free throws. Well, DeRozan is top 5 in FTA but averaging just 50.6 TS%. Going back to the NBA history books, looking at guards only, DeRozan is just amongst 4 others again who averaged below 51% TS and shot the ball 16+ times per game -- Vince Carter, Jason Richardson, Monta Ellis, Jamal Crawford. Again, no winning teams amongst those occurrences.
                        Well put

Playing like he does means "addition by subtraction" to me. Can't win with him playing that way (and that's who he is)

Comment

Bold 1: Yes they are. Based on the context of what they do for their teams. Both guys play a very similar roles in their offense and are very good at it. They open up a ton of open opportunities for their teammates. DD waves them off and drives into 2 defenders for a fade away 2....

Bold 2: I didn't say that. Fail on your part.

Bold 3: Yes, I listed players who were more efficient than DD as part of a basis for who is better. And CJ Miles has a better TS%, but no I did not say CJ Miles was better. Fail on your part again.

If you are going to ridicule someone for their post, please read it properly before replying

Otherwise to me it makes you look like

Who knows _____

Oh and I forgot, the list puts DD ranked 22 in the league. A long cry off "top 5"
                          First off, wasn't ridiculing. Just trying to have a convo but your on the defensive so I get it. But if you think I'm a crow that knows shit, then ok. But hey, you were the one using stats in a vacuum to suggest that a bunch of two guards are better than Demar. If there was some other way to interpret your post, then I'd like to hear it. You suggested context was needed, but did nothing to show it. Also, I never said Demar was top5, although I think he is pretty damn close.

And if you think Reddick and Korver do more for the success of their respective clubs than Demar does for the Raps, than that's what you think and I know nothing I say would change that. But if you weren't suggesting that all those players are better than Demar, than I do not know the point of your post. Please feel free to "retaliate" with some "context" perhaps.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                            First off, wasn't ridiculing. Just trying to have a convo but your on the defensive so I get it. But if you think I'm a crow that knows shit, then ok. But hey, you were the one using stats in a vacuum to suggest that a bunch of two guards are better than Demar. If there was some other way to interpret your post, then I'd like to hear it. You suggested context was needed, but did nothing to show it. Also, I never said Demar was top5, although I think he is pretty damn close.

And if you think Reddick and Korver do more for the success of their respective clubs than Demar does for the Raps, than that's what you think and I know nothing I say would change that. But if you weren't suggesting that all those players are better than Demar, than I do not know the point of your post. Please feel free to "retaliate" with some "context" perhaps.
                            1) Listed players with Net Rating, TS%, ORat, and PIE > DD to establish a pool of names who have some statistical evidence for being better than DD offensively.

2) Drew from those names to establish a list of players who were definitely better. Statistically based as well as role within their team. Ex) Harden

3) Chose players based on their eye-test impact, because they did not have the statistical backing. Ex) Batum, Ariza, Hayward

4) Chose players based on potential > DD. Ex) Wiggins

Last 3 lists are the relevant ones. In Summary:

Harden
                            Wade
                            Bulter
                            Klay
                            Tyreke Evans
                            Middleton
                            Ginobili
                            Danny Green
                            JJ Reddick
                            Korver
                            Igoudala
                            Matthews
                            Hayward
                            Batum
                            Parsons
                            Ariza
                            Wiggins
                            Oladipo
                            McLemore
                            Giannis
                            Parker

Are better than DD

Comment

1) Listed players with Net Rating, TS%, ORat, and PIE > DD to establish a pool of names who have some statistical evidence for being better than DD offensively.

2) Drew from those names to establish a list of players who were definitely better. Statistically based as well as role within their team. Ex) Harden

3) Chose players based on their eye-test impact, because they did not have the statistical backing. Ex) Batum, Ariza, Hayward

Harden
                              Wade
                              Bulter
                              Klay
                              Tyreke Evans
                              Middleton
                              Ginobili
                              Danny Green
                              JJ Reddick
                              Korver
                              Igoudala
                              Matthews
                              Hayward
                              Batum
                              Parsons
                              Ariza
                              Wiggins
                              Oladipo
                              McLemore
                              Giannis
                              Parker

Are better than DD
                              might as well add Lebron, Melo, Rudy Gay if you included SFs like Hayward, Ariza and Parsons. Wiggins will be SF too.
                              Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Harden
                                Wade
                                Bulter
                                Klay
                                Tyreke Evans
                                Middleton
                                Ginobili
                                Danny Green
                                JJ Reddick
                                Korver
                                Igoudala
                                Matthews
                                Hayward
                                Batum
                                Parsons
                                Ariza
                                Wiggins
                                Oladipo
                                McLemore
                                Giannis
                                Parker

Are better than DD
                                Fair enough. But I wouldn't include Ariza, Parsons, Batum, Hayward, Iggy, Giannis and maybe Middleton as I'd consider them SF's. And even if I were to include them, then the only edge they have is D, although I could see an argument for Hayward as being as good or better than Demar offensively as well. The rest aren't more gifted offensively as Demar is IMO. I also can't consider 3pt specialists as being better than Demar, despite how good they may be at that skill or how valuable that skill is to the success of their respective teams. 3pt specialists are only as effective as their teammates and systems allow for IMO. And then you have 3&D guys like Matthews, who's success is as dependent on LA and Lillard than his own abilities. Wiggins, Oladipo and Parker are too young for me to suggest are better than Demar. At this point I do not think they are, but they may be in the near future. McLemore I do not think is better than Demar. But again, if I had one of the best big men in the game and a good scoring wing like Gay on my team, than sure I'd probably take Mclemore over Demar for obvious reasons. But I do not think this means he is better. Green, also looked like crap outside of the Spurs system. I don't think Tyreke is as good as Demar either.

Given our system and personnel, the only players on your list I would take over Demar are Harden, Butler, and Klay. Wade is obviously better, but I wouldn't take him due to his health issues. Wiggins I'd probably take due to his enormous potential, but I don't think he is presently as good as Demar.

And given your analysis, I'm surprised Kawhi, Afflalo, and Ellis never made your list.

Comment

Working...
                                X