Everything 2024 Off-season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Primer wrote: View Post

Pacers have some interesting bigs hitting free agency. Jalen Smith and Obi Toppin. Those guys are both gettable with our cap space should we choose to use it.
    I thought about Toppin too, but he is an RFA and so any offer could be matched.

I think I would have preferred the cap space route too but that was before we traded for Kelly and then learned that we are working on an extension. That extension eats into that available cap space.

So now what's smarter? Dumping Brown / letting Gary walk, and then using whatever money we have (about $20M) on one other player like Jalen Smith? And having the room-midlevel (about $5-6M for some scrub).

Or would it be better to keep Brown (and possibly Gary if he wants back).. and still have the full MLE (about $13M) to use on another player? Could even use that $13M on Jalen Smith

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post

I'm probably in the minority but not terribly fussed about targeting specific player archtypes at this point, especially 3&D guys. When they are competitive, those are the kinds of roles you bring in vets to fill. Obviously, you still need to field a team that makes sense so a veteran backup PG is important and you'd like to add some size at the forward spot but that's just run of the mill roster stuff.

Since I'm not totally sold on the IQ/RJ/Barnes combo as of yet I think they've got a lot of work to do. Just go get the best player available at this point and if you have to make room by moving off other guys you do it.
      Agree with this. There’s always a younger version of Jae Crowder 3&D vet who can do like 80% of what OG provided. We just need a stop gap and time to figure out how all the pieces fit together, or even if they do fit together, like you said. Not sold either.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post

Agree with this. There’s always a younger version of Jae Crowder 3&D vet who can do like 80% of what OG provided. We just need a stop gap and time to figure out how all the pieces fit together, or even if they do fit together, like you said. Not sold either.
        The reality is that whenever this team gets really good (if it ever does with Barnes) it won't look much like it does right now. I'm hopeful IQ can adapt into the PG they need and that RJ continues to evolve his game cause that would be a pretty solid set of players but we will see. IQ probably needs an offseason to reset his game and then we will need to see that trio work with whomever is on the floor next season, so I'm withholding judgement. Draft will matter, too.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post

I thought about Toppin too, but he is an RFA and so any offer could be matched.

I think I would have preferred the cap space route too but that was before we traded for Kelly and then learned that we are working on an extension. That extension eats into that available cap space.

So now what's smarter? Dumping Brown / letting Gary walk, and then using whatever money we have (about $20M) on one other player like Jalen Smith? And having the room-midlevel (about $5-6M for some scrub).

Or would it be better to keep Brown (and possibly Gary if he wants back).. and still have the full MLE (about $13M) to use on another player? Could even use that $13M on Jalen Smith
          Pacers likely can't or won't want to match a Topin offer now that they have to max Pascal, so he's very gettable.

I personally prefer locking up a younger player on a long term deal, so a 3 or 4 year deal with Smith or Topin is a better option to me than keeping Brown and Gary.

Every move should be eye on the future not pretending we are gonna be contenders next season.

Comment

Pacers likely can't or won't want to match a Topin offer now that they have to max Pascal, so he's very gettable.

I personally prefer locking up a younger player on a long term deal, so a 3 or 4 year deal with Smith or Topin is a better option to me than keeping Brown and Gary.

Every move should be eye on the future not pretending we are gonna be contenders next season.
            i'd chase after jalen smith instead

Comment

Toppin is older than Gary Trent Jr. Plus look at his rebounding numbers... I mean I don't know the player that much, but what does he bring to the table that would help us this much?

As for our new trio, I really like what Barrett brings to date as a decision-maker: willing and good passer, really good driver. Just needs to upgrade his FT percentage a bit.

I kindof see them as the new 6'9 vision, the ''3-headed PG'', like they don't really need a ''pure'' point guard to operate. Now they just need to find the pieces that are going to complement them on the starting five, but I think that Gradey could be part of it. Been impressed by his play the last 15 games or so.

Comment

TomAmnot wrote: View Post
                Toppin is older than Gary Trent Jr. Plus look at his rebounding numbers... I mean I don't know the player that much, but what does he bring to the table that would help us this much?

As for our new trio, I really like what Barrett brings to date as a decision-maker: willing and good passer, really good driver. Just needs to upgrade his FT percentage a bit.

I kindof see them as the new 6'9 vision, the ''3-headed PG'', like they don't really need a ''pure'' point guard to operate. Now they just need to find the pieces that are going to complement them on the starting five, but I think that Gradey could be part of it. Been impressed by his play the last 15 games or so.
                Toppin is a PF, we need more bigs. He has a 65% eFG and is shooting 40% from 3pt. So he replaces Gary's shooting at a position of need. I also see him as a buy low candidate who hasn't gotten a chance to start yet, similar to IQ.

Comment

Toppin is a PF, we need more bigs. He has a 65% eFG and is shooting 40% from 3pt. So he replaces Gary's shooting at a position of need. I also see him as a buy low candidate who hasn't gotten a chance to start yet, similar to IQ.
                  He was starting early on this season. But yeah if we can add him for cheap, why not. But... not as a starter please

Comment

jalen smith

Comment

TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
                      jalen smith
                      Yeah I also think he should be a primary target. Wonder how much he'll cost.
                      Last edited by TomAmnot; Fri Feb 23, 2024, 04:19 PM.

Comment

TomAmnot wrote: View Post

Yeah I also think he should be a primary target. Wonder how much he'll cost.
                        I think MLE is his floor and a Jak type contract is the ceiling, so somewhere between $13-$20M per.

Comment

What about Saddiq Bey? I believe he will be a free agent. Is he of any interest? I don't know much about him. He is shooting the 3 very poorly this season but was better in previous years. Can he defend?

Comment

We dont need to get guys just because we have some money. Roll with this crew and new draft picks and try to get even more under the cap. Let new team develop to see what we meed before spending

Comment

Yuri Gagarin wrote: View Post
                              We dont need to get guys just because we have some money. Roll with this crew and new draft picks and try to get even more under the cap. Let new team develop to see what we meed before spending
                              You also don’t want to get to a point where you have to pay Scottie then you can’t afford to go out and get complimentary players. Take advantage of the cap room while you have it.

But they need to add the right players that can grow and compliment the core.

Comment

Poeltl | Olynyk | Porter
                                Barnes | Smith | Boucher
                                Barrett | Agbaji | Nwora
                                Dick | Trent
                                Quickley | Brown

I don't think McDaniels should take a roster spot next year... Could they just waive him? This roster is excluding the rookies and the 2-ways. That's a pretty decent looking squad right here!

Comment

Working...
                                X