Most miserable sports cities in North America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Right, but if we're suggesting that just the top 4 seeds in each conference/league deserve a spot in the post-season, the Raptors are 1 loss away from missing the playoffs.
    Nah, this really only applies to baseball. Best team will win a 7 game basketball series most of the time, therefore more teams is beneficial. Too many fluke things happen in baseball playoffs to let the lower seeds in, or you'll end up with the 12th best team in the league winning the World Series way too often. I like my championship teams to actually be representative of (one of) the best teams.

The other side applies too though. If this were baseball, just by getting in the Raptors would have a serious chance of winning the whole thing. But since those type of flukes don't really happen in the NBA, it's kind of a hopeless case for this year.
    That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

What makes the Leafs such a bad joke is that Toronto is actually considered the centre of the hockey universe (maybe that notion is self-propagated). That careers of numerous hockey analysts, sportscasters and news reporters/photographers etc depend and continue to thrive on such a losing franchise is truly remarkable.

Comment

Can you imagine what this city would be like if the Leafs were actually good? My God it would be insufferable.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
          Can you imagine what this city would be like if the Leafs were actually good? My God it would be insufferable.
          Thank god it's never going to happen

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
            What makes the Leafs such a bad joke is that Toronto is actually considered the centre of the hockey universe (maybe that notion is self-propagated). That careers of numerous hockey analysts, sportscasters and news reporters/photographers etc depend and continue to thrive on such a losing franchise is truly remarkable.
            This is where they're like the Knicks. Between MSG and all the playground basketball, New York is supposed to be the Mecca of basketball, but I'm not sure why. The pro team doesn't have the greatest history, there are no college teams, and all that playground ball has produced very little in terms of pro careers. You're just as likely to get a HoFer from rural Indiana as from the 5 boroughs (no joke). Is New York the Mecca just because of the quantity of hoop fans? Because that would make it a lot like the Toronto Maple Leafs of the NBA. At least Toronto sustained some team success 50+ years ago.
            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
              You mean Boston?
              That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

Other Scott wrote: View Post
                Nah, this really only applies to baseball. Best team will win a 7 game basketball series most of the time, therefore more teams is beneficial. Too many fluke things happen in baseball playoffs to let the lower seeds in, or you'll end up with the 12th best team in the league winning the World Series way too often. I like my championship teams to actually be representative of (one of) the best teams.

The other side applies too though. If this were baseball, just by getting in the Raptors would have a serious chance of winning the whole thing. But since those type of flukes don't really happen in the NBA, it's kind of a hopeless case for this year.
                Then why even bother with a playoff format? Why not have the best records in the Al and NL go straight to the World Series?

Obviously not a serious question, but it just highlights a point. The more teams that participate in the playoffs, the better it is for the league's fanbase as a whole. Imagine how great the past 20 years would've been if the Jays were managing to squeak in for just 10 of those years.

Personally, I don't see any difference between a Royals/Giants World Series vs. an Angles/Nats one.

Comment

Then why even bother with a playoff format? Why not have the best records in the Al and NL go straight to the World Series?

Obviously not a serious question, but it just highlights a point. The more teams that participate in the playoffs, the better it is for the league's fanbase as a whole. Imagine how great the past 20 years would've been if the Jays were managing to squeak in for just 10 of those years.

Personally, I don't see any difference between a Royals/Giants World Series vs. an Angles/Nats one.
                  Instead of rings and championships they should give out participation ribbons and awards for best effort. If they format it correctly the entire regular season can be rendered pointless

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
                    Instead of rings and championships they should give out participation ribbons and awards for best effort. If they format it correctly the entire regular season can be rendered pointless
                    With the Jays out of contention before the allstar break every year, one could say that the regular season is already rendered pointless

Comment

With the Jays out of contention before the allstar break every year, one could say that the regular season is already rendered pointless
                      Plenty of teams have won without pitching. Bullpens are overrated. Jays will be in contention until the back and hamstring injuries pile up. Somebody should see if running on concrete for 81 games is unhealthy

Comment

Three guys in a basement write something and this blog flips out. This ranks right up there with the decades old debate of whether Toronto is a world class city. Who cares? Toronto sports teams have been terrible. This article adds nothing to the debate with its pseudo scientific pain model.

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                          This is where they're like the Knicks. Between MSG and all the playground basketball, New York is supposed to be the Mecca of basketball, but I'm not sure why. The pro team doesn't have the greatest history, there are no college teams, and all that playground ball has produced very little in terms of pro careers. You're just as likely to get a HoFer from rural Indiana as from the 5 boroughs (no joke). Is New York the Mecca just because of the quantity of hoop fans? Because that would make it a lot like the Toronto Maple Leafs of the NBA. At least Toronto sustained some team success 50+ years ago.
                          I share that opinion. The common thread is that NYC is also a media centre (for most/all things..TO is only it for hockey). So this mecca/hockey centre is like a media driven self-appointment bordering on the delusional but also imo a self-preservation (probably subconcious) effort to prop the location up. The joke is that the propsters have yet to look out of their bubble and notice that these labels bear no resemblance to the state of the sport... at least at the professional level in their respective locations.

There has been a long standing theory about the famed athletes who plied their hustle on the hoop playgrounds in NY....while truly gifted athletically and individual play they fail at the team game.... and then there is the education thing too. I think Marbury was one of the last great playground practitioners to have "made it" to the pros and we all know the problems he faced or was.
                          Last edited by Bendit; Fri Apr 10, 2015, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X