Is Tanking An Option?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
    Tanking is not an option. Winning keeps you relevant. You start tanking, not only do you get no attention from free agents, but it becomes a culture. A few seasons of tanking is disastrous, especially for a franchise like this.

I hope Masai and company can identify a culture their would like to foster, bring in a coach that reflects what their identity, and go from there.
    I disagree. Tanking is the best way for us to bring in elite talent and that will attract free agents. Look at Clippers, they went from being the laughing stock to contenders after drafting Griffin.
    "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• hotfuzz wrote: View Post
      I disagree. Tanking is the best way for us to bring in elite talent and that will attract free agents. Look at Clippers, they went from being the laughing stock to contenders after drafting Griffin.
      The Clippers did the tank thing for like 20 years though. Their draft history is spotty at best.

Comment

• I have no idea why, but part of me loves that the tanking debate is back
        "Stop eating your sushi."
        "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
        "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

And now you guys want him gone. How messed up is that?
          The team and coach earned the right to come back this season.

They decided to poop all over the opportunity.

Time to move on.

I don't like the tanking connotation so I changed my avatar to a few explosions.

Masai needs to fire Casey and maximize assets.

He needs to hire a competent coach who shares his vision and work together to build that.

The key is to start getting players who will be able to grow into that vision.**

It isn't going to happen overnight....or in a year or two.

That is why you build through draft and with guys you currently have as RFA in future.

**God help us all if this season was Masai's vision. I pray it was not. I pray he asked Casey what do you want and he gave it to him. In other words I hope Masai gave gave Casey all the rope needed to hang himself after such unexpected success last season.

You are on the clock, Masai.

Comment

The Clippers did the tank thing for like 20 years though. Their draft history is spotty at best.
            Well that's because their management sucks. To add my point, the Raptors had a winning culture for the past 2 seasons and earned respect and what did they lead to? getting swept by a mediocre team. Where was the culture in this series? No where. Anything and everything else is useless without elite talent.
            "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• peanutwoozle wrote: View Post
              Kyle Lowry (a lot of people thought he was an All-Star last year)

Tell me the last time Cities like Denver, Salt Lake City,
              Lowry re-upped because he wanted to be 'the guy' on the team. Couldn't be that anywhere but here. Toronto also paid a premium to retain him. Moreso than the Rockets.

But you ask any player in the NBA where they would rather play between those 3 cities and Toronto is at the bottom. Players love to visit here, but don't like to actually stay and play here.

Comment

Well that's because their management sucks. To add my point, the Raptors had a winning culture for the past 2 seasons and earned respect and what did they lead to? getting swept by a mediocre team. Where was the culture in this series? No where. Anything and everything else is useless without elite talent.
                Or a lot of really, really good and well coached talent......see Hawks, Atlanta

Comment

and elite talent is useless without good management.

Comment

Lowry re-upped because he wanted to be 'the guy' on the team. Couldn't be that anywhere but here. Toronto also paid a premium to retain him. Moreso than the Rockets.

But you ask any player in the NBA where they would rather play between those 3 cities and Toronto is at the bottom. Players love to visit here, but don't like to actually stay and play here.
                    winning and good management will fix that.

and do you have a source to show me how much the rockets offered him?

Comment

• Does Pops have any more assistants?

Comment

• I can't find the tweets but earlier in the year (it seems like early 2015) both Cathal Kelly and Wolstat...maybe Lewenberg, tweeted out with come certainty that many of these players would not be back next year. Does anyone remember those?

Comment

• To add further to the debate, we've never actually done a proper rebuild in god knows how long. BC was always looking for short sighted moves to sneak into the playoffs. Masai was about to tank but then we started winning. We've never actually tanked properly in the last 8 seasons.
                          "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                            The team and coach earned the right to come back this season.

They decided to poop all over the opportunity.

Time to move on.

I don't like the tanking connotation so I changed my avatar to a few explosions.

Masai needs to fire Casey and maximize assets.

He needs to hire a competent coach who shares his vision and work together to build that.

The key is to start getting players who will be able to grow into that vision.**

It isn't going to happen overnight....or in a year or two.

That is why you build through draft and with guys you currently have as RFA in future.

**God help us all if this season was Masai's vision. I pray it was not. I pray he asked Casey what do you want and he gave it to him. In other words I hope Masai gave gave Casey all the rope needed to hang himself after such unexpected success last season.

You are on the clock, Masai.
                            I understand what you're saying. You also have to look at this team won 49 games with a coach that seemed to lose the team after January 1.

Masai has the perfect storm here. He has to bring in a new coach first and foremost.
                            The only guys who are under contract after next season is Patterson, Lowry and Bruno, hopefully Valanciunas, too. He has a chance to make his mark on the team. I truly believe that DeRozan will be gone this summer because he has only 1 year left and he's going to want max money. With cap space looming, this franchise can makeover themselves on the fly.

Drafts are lottery tickets. Relying on it can be very dangerous.

Comment

I understand what you're saying. You also have to look at this team won 49 games with a coach that seemed to lose the team after January 1.

Masai has the perfect storm here. He has to bring in a new coach first and foremost.
                              The only guys who are under contract after next season is Patterson, Lowry and Bruno, hopefully Valanciunas, too. He has a chance to make his mark on the team. I truly believe that DeRozan will be gone this summer because he has only 1 year left and he's going to want max money. With cap space looming, this franchise can makeover themselves on the fly.

Drafts are lottery tickets. Relying on it can be very dangerous.
                              If we keep relying on the draft, we're all going to have to go here. http://www.bellwood.ca/problem-gambling/

Comment

• Should continue to be interesting to watch the hunt for the new MLSE boss. So....our cornerstone franchise (the leafs) just fired everyone and is selling everything not nailed down but on the plus side, the franchise that has won the hearts of fans...might just be about to do the same thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X