Fire Masai Ujiri.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joey wrote: View Post

Lol Ya this is a pretty wild way to look at it ... by this thinking, a mid-2nd rounder shouldn't be traded for anything less than Nikola Jokic or similar class of player, which is of course ridiculous ...

And even with all of that, that obviously means you want to take my bet then, ya?
    youre dismissing goldens point about mgmts ability to find good players with higher draft picks. I mean they chose poeltl with what the ninth pick? and your saying no way it happens again. There will definitely be a few players who end up way better than poeltl. If it was straight up an 8th pick for poeltl at the time you and some others would have said no but seem to be trying to cover mgmts ass now for whatever reason

Comment

• Yuri Gagarin wrote: View Post

youre dismissing goldens point about mgmts ability to find good players with higher draft picks. I mean they chose poeltl with what the ninth pick? and your saying no way it happens again. There will definitely be a few players who end up way better than poeltl. If it was straight up an 8th pick for poeltl at the time you and some others would have said no but seem to be trying to cover mgmts ass now for whatever reason
      And it was wonderful that he turned into the player we hoped he would. Go look at the odds and frequency with which the 8th pick has yielded even passable rotation players, let alone regular starters/all-stars like some people seem to think we're missing out on. Without having the hard stats, I would also bet that the number of players that flame out after their first contract far exceeds the number of players that last.

Trust me, the odds for that bet are in my favor.

Comment

And it was wonderful that he turned into the player we hoped he would. Go look at the odds and frequency with which the 8th pick has yielded even passable rotation players, let alone regular starters/all-stars like some people seem to think we're missing out on. Without having the hard stats, I would also bet that the number of players that flame out after their first contract far exceeds the number of players that last.

Trust me, the odds for that bet are in my favor.
        Bottom line, you wouldn’t get anything remotely close to an 8th pick and two seconds for poeltl now

Comment

Bottom line, you wouldn’t get anything remotely close to an 8th pick and two seconds for poeltl now
          Bottom line, besides Franz, there's not a single player that has been drafted 8th over the past 25 years that I would take over Poeltl.

Comment

Bottom line, besides Franz, there's not a single player that has been drafted 8th over the past 25 years that I would take over Poeltl.

touting a guy picked ninth and saying an 8th will never be good. Ok.

Comment

Yeah, I’ll be a nice guy and spot you a pick. Let’s try those 25 years again with pick #9, shall we?

Comment

I will put good money on the 8 pick in this draft not turning into even half the player that Poeltl is. Anyone want to take that bet?
                I'll take that bet. Poeltl has 38.7 WS in 8 years, so just under 5 WS per season. An average pick 8 historically has been worth 29.3 WS for their entire career, although it projects to 35.6 WS for their entire career using a parabolic curve.

This is a weak draft at the top, so lets say pick 8 this year is more like an average years pick 12 or 13. That would be around 27-28 WS. For Poeltl to be twice as good, he'd need another 4 years at his current production.

For Poeltl to be twice the historic mark, it would take him 5 yrs at his current production and 7 years for the parabolic projection.

I'll make sure to remember this in 10-12 years when pick 8 retires so we can pay up.
                If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• Why are we talking about those seconds when they were included to salary dump Birch's contract? Nobody brings up the second rounder we gave up to salary dump Greg Monroe and that ended up being the 37th pick (JT Thor).

If you want to blame anyone for those 2nd's then it should be MLSE for not allowing us to be a tax team.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                    Why are we talking about those seconds when they were included to salary dump Birch's contract? Nobody brings up the second rounder we gave up to salary dump Greg Monroe and that ended up being the 37th pick (JT Thor).

If you want to blame anyone for those 2nd's then it should be MLSE for not allowing us to be a tax team.
                    Man, don't you know, 2nd round picks shouldn't be traded for anything less than MVP candidates, because one was picked once.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post

I'll take that bet. Poeltl has 38.7 WS in 8 years, so just under 5 WS per season. An average pick 8 historically has been worth 29.3 WS for their entire career, although it projects to 35.6 WS for their entire career using a parabolic curve.

This is a weak draft at the top, so lets say pick 8 this year is more like an average years pick 12 or 13. That would be around 27-28 WS. For Poeltl to be twice as good, he'd need another 4 years at his current production.

For Poeltl to be twice the historic mark, it would take him 5 yrs at his current production and 7 years for the parabolic projection.

I'll make sure to remember this in 10-12 years when pick 8 retires so we can pay up.
                      By the way, here's where I got the info on draft picks.

https://quantimschmitz.com/2023/04/0...20his%20career.
                      If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Not sure why you don't think Poeltl can play at his current level for 4-5 more years... seems pretty sustainable. Not like his game relies on quick burst athleticism and explosive movement. Lol

Comment

Man, don't you know, 2nd round picks shouldn't be traded for anything less than MVP candidates, because one was picked once.
                          There are good reasons to trade them, like this years 2nd rounder that we traded to Memphis as part of the Marc Gasol trade. But I agree with planetmars using them just to save money is not a good reason if winning is the primary goal.

Yeah most bust but they often provide value in trade, because sometimes they hit and very rarely even get a Gasol who was pick #48.

Fun Fact - In the Stupid thread the other day, Jclaw couldn't remember the 15 game Raptors career McGuire guy TRex was complaining about. Dominic McGuire was pick #47 in 2007, taken one pick before Gasol.

Comment

Not sure why you don't think Poeltl can play at his current level for 4-5 more years... seems pretty sustainable. Not like his game relies on quick burst athleticism and explosive movement. Lol
                            I didn't say he can't, but injuries happen and he has to continue to get starter minutes, which may change if we get someone more suited to pair with Scottie.

Main reason I took your bet though is no one else seemed to have the onions to take you up on it without a litany of caveats.

Comment

I didn't say he can't, but injuries happen and he has to continue to get starter minutes, which may change if we get someone more suited to pair with Scottie.

Main reason I took your bet though is no one else seemed to have the onions to take you up on it without a litany of caveats.

Comment

An 8th pick for poeltl a guy that didn’t move the needle was so fkn stupid. Fire masai and webster yup
                                I would take a high draft pick anytime for a guy who cannot nail a jumper outside of 3 feet plus a horrendous freethrow shooter. On top of that he is 28 years old and stupid Ujiri stucked to his $19.5 million x4 years contract.

So idiotic trading for Bruce Brown when your intention all along is to tank the season and half ass or zero commitment to flip him for assets at the deadline.

But what really irks me is that we traded Siakam for crumbs…UJIRI didn’t learn from prior bonehead mistakes of trading Lowry for trash and letting VanVleet walk for nothing.

How can someone defend these idiotic moves AND non moves and say on the other side of their cheek that pointing these out is not using common sense. My suggestion, go thru that record on that list post chip, and tell me if Ujiri was using clear logical direction. LMAO.

P.s. Not surprise the pushback though, especially when someone’s crusade is to trade Siakam just for the sake of trading him because he does not fit with Scottie’s game. Lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X