Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What exactly does a Masai Ujiri team look like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What exactly does a Masai Ujiri team look like?

When Masai took over Denver, he had a coach and most of the roster in place. Karl was run and gun. The pace was uptempo as has just about all of Nuggets teams in franchise history.

When Masai took over Toronto, he had a coach and most of the roster in place. He made a couple of major tweaks in Bargnani and Gay but for the most part this team was, supposedly, grind it out, defense first.

I've always stated that Masai played the hand he was dealt coming to Toronto. There was every intention to join the Riggin' for Wiggins crowd but unexpected success and poor trade value destroyed that option. The team earned the right to come back for another shot with a franchise record wins and 7 game 1st round loss. Masai brought them back with relatively low risk. What did the Raptors do with the opportunity? In the end, they shat all over it.

Soooooooo......

That brings us to now. One has to believe changes are on the way. Masai, for the first time, is going to be able to build a team in HIS own vision.

What type of offense will he look to employ?
    What about defense?
    What type of players does he target?
    Is he going to build through the draft?
    Is he going to swing for the fences in free agency?
    Do any current players fit his vision?

While the season is a relatively recent disappointment for many, I've been disappointed since November - overall. I've had time to adapt and I saw this coming. So while many of you are disappointed, know that there is a lot of reason for optimism and you will see it soon enough once the disappointment dissipates. The Raptors aren't locked in to any killer contracts anymore. They have all their 1st round picks plus worse of DEN/NYK. They have some decent players on short, moveable contracts. They have untapped potential sitting on the bench in Bruno. They have a bonafide C.

What do you think a MU team looks like?

Feel free to dig through old articles to substantiate any claims. When I have time I intend to do so. The only thing I think is conclusive is length and athleticism are very desirable attributes.

Ujiri had his chance to put his stamp on this team, but turned it down.

Comment

When I hear "Masai Ujiri built team", all I can think of is JaVale McGee and Aaron Afflalo. It's not pretty....

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
        When I hear "Masai Ujiri built team", all I can think of is JaVale McGee and Aaron Afflalo. It's not pretty....
        Shhhhhhhhhh. We aren't supposed to talk about those things.
        "Stop eating your sushi."
        "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
        "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

peanutwoozle wrote: View Post
          When did he turn it down...at the deadline???

Who was he going to trade for that was going to make a significant difference on the road to a championship. If we ended up getting the rumoured Tony Parker who has been injured this year...ok so we make the second round then get beat out... Masai hasn't even hired his own coach yet so why is everyone hating on the guy. They did well last year better than expected and were doing well until January. So he decided to stay put. No one could have expected us to continue this free fall after the all star break.

Just wait until the off season. If after the off season we have both the same coach and the same roster and they are saying the same thing as last season that they are still evaluating... then there is a problem and we need to start getting worried about Ujiri.

Comment

TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
            When did he turn it down...at the deadline???

Who was he going to trade for that was going to make a significant difference on the road to a championship. If we ended up getting the rumoured Tony Parker who has been injured this year...ok so we make the second round then get beat out... Masai hasn't even hired his own coach yet so why is everyone hating on the guy. They did well last year better than expected and were doing well until January. So he decided to stay put. No one could have expected us to continue this free fall after the all star break.

Just wait until the off season. If after the off season we have both the same coach and the same roster and they are saying the same thing as last season that they are still evaluating... then there is a problem and we need to start getting worried about Ujiri.
            after the nixed trade with NY, that was his opportunity to put his stamp on the team, but he turned it down. He has had 2 years to bring in his own coach, well, Casey is technically Masai's coach as he extended him, he could have let him walk, but didn't.

Masai talks about this 5 year plan, if he blows this up and tanks, he won't reach his deadline which will NOT get extended.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
              When Masai took over Denver, he had a coach and most of the roster in place. Karl was run and gun. The pace was uptempo as has just about all of Nuggets teams in franchise history.

When Masai took over Toronto, he had a coach and most of the roster in place. He made a couple of major tweaks in Bargnani and Gay but for the most part this team was, supposedly, grind it out, defense first.

I've always stated that Masai played the hand he was dealt coming to Toronto. There was every intention to join the Riggin' for Wiggins crowd but unexpected success and poor trade value destroyed that option. The team earned the right to come back for another shot with a franchise record wins and 7 game 1st round loss. Masai brought them back with relatively low risk. What did the Raptors do with the opportunity? In the end, they shat all over it.

Soooooooo......

That brings us to now. One has to believe changes are on the way. Masai, for the first time, is going to be able to build a team in HIS own vision.

What type of offense will he look to employ?
              What about defense?
              What type of players does he target?
              Is he going to build through the draft?
              Is he going to swing for the fences in free agency?
              Do any current players fit his vision?

While the season is a relatively recent disappointment for many, I've been disappointed since November - overall. I've had time to adapt and I saw this coming. So while many of you are disappointed, know that there is a lot of reason for optimism and you will see it soon enough once the disappointment dissipates. The Raptors aren't locked in to any killer contracts anymore. They have all their 1st round picks plus worse of DEN/NYK. They have some decent players on short, moveable contracts. They have untapped potential sitting on the bench in Bruno. They have a bonafide C.

What do you think a MU team looks like?

Feel free to dig through old articles to substantiate any claims. When I have time I intend to do so. The only thing I think is conclusive is length and athleticism are very desirable attributes.
              We get the worst of either Denver or New York's pick!? Really? Like their first round pick?
              I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

Wingspan

Comment

after the nixed trade with NY, that was his opportunity to put his stamp on the team, but he turned it down. He has had 2 years to bring in his own coach, well, Casey is technically Masai's coach as he extended him, he could have let him walk, but didn't.

Masai talks about this 5 year plan, if he blows this up and tanks, he won't reach his deadline which will NOT get extended.
                  Did Masai ever actually say anything about a 5 year plan? I don't recall him ever doing so.

Comment

GLF wrote: View Post
                    We get the worst of either Denver or New York's pick!? Really? Like their first round pick?
                    2016 but yessir, Got it in the bargnani trade

Comment

GLF wrote: View Post
                      Pretty sure how it works is that out of Denver and NY's first rounders nest year, Denver gets the better one and we get the worse one.
                      The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Did Masai ever actually say anything about a 5 year plan? I don't recall him ever doing so.
                        That's how long his contract was when he first signed it, so that's how long they were giving him to execute his plan, my mistake, I should have rephrased it.
                        Last edited by peanutwoozle; Mon Apr 27, 2015, 04:45 PM.

Comment

I disagree, I think he structured it well so that he has a really good chance over the next couple of years with a ton of expiring contracts.

If he put his stamp on it last season he would've changed up a successful roster to many a fans dismay to only start his process. He was smart and decided to sign some short term contracts to put himself in a position to do what he wants.

I like to think of Milwaukee. I think that's the direction that MU is going to look to go. Long, athletic, young, shoots well, etc...

I dont think getting Bebe was an accident, and drafting bruno gives us length and shooting. MU liking McGee should support how highly he values those physical attributes. Wonder if Masai will look at Hassan Whiteside again this summer when he's a FA, or throw a max at Deandre Jordan. I'm not sure JV is Masai's type of C.

Toss in a few players who move the ball well, and provide some decent on court leadership. I think that's why he likes GV, because its certainly not because he's long and athletic. From what I've seen I could see Lucas being a target of his in the draft, brings the physical tools he seems to like and if he could play behind GV he might pick up on his intellectual style of play. GV could actually be pretty useful on a team full of long and athletic rollers.

Have some smart and hard working role players fill in the rest of the roster, guys like PP fit that description. I could see him liking a healthy Amir.

And of course he'll need his 2 end of bench project guys, MU always seems to have them around.

Might have to take a look after work and really dig into it.

Comment

Javale and Afflalo are actually pretty decent imo. Javale's health has been the main concern but other than being the face of Shaqtin a fool, he's been much better than when he was in DC. Also, don't forget, he's the master of milking the Knicks. He got so much for Melo and Bargs.

His teams so far, including the Raptors, are a bunch of decently talented guys with at least a couple of all-stars or borderline allstars (not superstars) who can win 45-50 games per season, but struggles in the playoffs vs more talented teams.

This off season will be the test, as he has always emphasized that the team will not be in no man's land.

Comment

That's how long his contract was when he first signed it, so that's how long they were giving him to execute his plan.
                              Wait a second.

So you're saying Masai doesn't talk about a five year plan now?

In fact what you're saying is Masai has a five year contract therefore you assume there is a five year plan that must be executed AND successful in that time frame.

You know what I say? I say BULLPOOP - all around. You're reading your perception of the current situation as reality for the Raptors franchise.

And as always, you are living up to your avatar if you really and honestly believe Masai had any choice after the team had a franchise record wins last season and went to 7 games in the first round. If you think he could have turned that success aside and went in another direction you are delusional, in my opinion. You've come out of the shadows in recent weeks to take every opportunity to shit on Masai with a huge helping of hindsight that you conveniently refuse to acknowledge. The team was loaded up with players to fit perceived weaknesses last season and resigned players were brought back with manageable, tradeable, and short term contracts. I wonder if you are Masai's Jon Snow - except Masai wanted nothing to do with you unlike Ned Stark. It really is the only explanation I can think of. IF Masai had started to turn this team in to whatever vision he has last year, there would have been Hell, Fire, and Brimstone reigning down in Raptorland. Do not forget this is a business. I do not think the corporate sponsorships would have been too keen with such an approach. The fact they pooped the bed gives Masai every reason to now possibly make changes he possibly deems necessary.

Anyways, all this is the past. I'm asking what about the future.

......and if we don't see significant changes this off season, I will certainly start to change my view of Ujiri. But until then the only way one can possibly stand by an argument of he should have changed this team last year was if one had not been following the team for the previous 6 seasons.

Comment

Working...
                              X