Zach Lowe Says Things We Already Know

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
    Why do you need to fire the current coach in order to start looking for a new one?
    I think it's a rule that you can't contact other coaches if you have one. I could be wrong though.

Comment

Why do you need to fire the current coach in order to start looking for a new one?
      It was mentioned when Kidd forced the Buck to fire the HC. JVG mentioned how discussing a non-vacated coaching position caused friction between Kidd and other coaches

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
        I also agree.

Unless the first choice is a currently employed coach rumoured to be available soon.
        He seemed to say that he was going to be evaluating all the players and coaching in the near future. I'd like to think that MU wanted to speak near the end of the season to calm down the fans even though he hasn't made any decisions yet. Now he is going to do his evaluations and will announce coaching changes in a few weeks. I haven't been paying attention but the only teams i know of that have a HC vacancy right now are the Nuggets, Magic and Thunder. I imagine that most candidates want to wait for all options to open up or as you said there are some coaches currently in the playoffs (Head coaches and assistants).

He really didnt say anything though in his exit conference. I watched Rob Hennigans conference from the Magic and he kept mentioning how he believed in the pieces on his team. Like WAY more than MU did. Masai also mentioned how July will be fun/interesting and I got the impression that changes would be made. Oddly, the only people he seemed to be committed to were Lowry, Ross and JV. Maybe is missed a section or two, but he never really talked about/defended DD but he definitely did Ross and JV. I was probably reading into it too much but do you think that his idea of the core consists of JV/Ross/Lowry and then the Brazilians as prospects? He may have just not talked about DD because he wasn't asked about him or I could have missed that part of the conference.

Edit: Did anyone else get the feeling that Masai wouldn't have mentioned the D League thing if nobody asked about Bruno's year of development?
        Last edited by DogeLover1234; Wed Apr 29, 2015, 02:10 AM.

Comment

A matter of principle.

You don't talk to prospective coaches if your coach is still there. It also doesn't say much to possible new coaches about your integrity either.

No different than a husband chatting up ladies for more than entertaining conversation at a bar.

When you're committed to someone, you don't survey the scene on possible replacements until you've ended prior commitment.

Comment

DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
            He seemed to say that he was going to be evaluating all the players and coaching in the near future. I'd like to think that MU wanted to speak near the end of the season to calm down the fans even though he hasn't made any decisions yet. Now he is going to do his evaluations and will announce coaching changes in a few weeks. I haven't been paying attention but the only teams i know of that have a HC vacancy right now are the Nuggets, Magic and Thunder. I imagine that most candidates want to wait for all options to open up or as you said there are some coaches currently in the playoffs (Head coaches and assistants).

He really didnt say anything though in his exit conference. I watched Rob Hennigans conference from the Magic and he kept mentioning how he believed in the pieces on his team. Like WAY more than MU did. Masai also mentioned how July will be fun/interesting and I got the impression that changes would be made. Oddly, the only people he seemed to be committed to were Lowry, Ross and JV. Maybe is missed a section or two, but he never really talked about/defended DD but he definitely did Ross and JV. I was probably reading into it too much but do you think that his idea of the core consists of JV/Ross/Lowry and then the Brazilians as prospects? He may have just not talked about DD because he wasn't asked about him or I could have missed that part of the conference.

Edit: Did anyone else get the feeling that Masai wouldn't have mentioned the D League thing if nobody asked about Bruno's year of development?
            Hennigan's in a different situation though - he's been rebuilding for years now, and it's unclear whether he's acquired anyone who could be even a third option on an elite team. Their rebuild's been a bit of an underrated disaster, and he needs to deflect away from that by gushing about his players and making it seem like everything's going to plan.

As for announcing the d-league team: that was so slick how Masai announced it. He of course knew SOMEONE would eventually ask about Bruno, so he just waited patiently and slipped it in like it was nothing. Honestly, watching it in real time, I thought that he must have announced it before, and I'd just missed it - that's how low key he was.
            "Stop eating your sushi."
            "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
            "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
            - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Zach Lowe:

The Wizards understood that Toronto’s defense gave up the middle of the floor on side pick-and-rolls, and they came in with a simple game plan: Run those plays, see how aggressively Toronto rotates, and use that aggression against them.

The Raptors never adjusted. You had to check the time and score to make sure the Washington basket you just watched wasn’t an instant replay. Toronto could have gone under picks, pulled its big-man defenders further back into the paint, directed Wall toward the sideline, or tossed hockey sticks at him. A wholesale strategic change is tough to orchestrate on the fly in April, but coaches do it, and anything would have been better than sticking with a broken scheme.
              Dwane Casey:
              No, we tried everything. We made adjustments, we tried to make every proper adjustment, according to their small lineup, their big lineup, their pick ‘n roll game, their post-up game. The only thing we didn’t implement, and it was tough for us to get in, was our zone. Everything else, we switched, they exploited that.
              Sounds like they weren't watching the same series. I was watching the same one as Lowe, anyone watch the series Dwane watched?
              "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Zach Lowe:

The Wizards understood that Toronto’s defense gave up the middle of the floor on side pick-and-rolls, and they came in with a simple game plan: Run those plays, see how aggressively Toronto rotates, and use that aggression against them.

The Raptors never adjusted. You had to check the time and score to make sure the Washington basket you just watched wasn’t an instant replay. Toronto could have gone under picks, pulled its big-man defenders further back into the paint, directed Wall toward the sideline, or tossed hockey sticks at him. A wholesale strategic change is tough to orchestrate on the fly in April, but coaches do it, and anything would have been better than sticking with a broken scheme.
                Dwane Casey:
                No, we tried everything. We made adjustments, we tried to make every proper adjustment, according to their small lineup, their big lineup, their pick ‘n roll game, their post-up game. The only thing we didn’t implement, and it was tough for us to get in, was our zone. Everything else, we switched, they exploited that.
                Sounds like they weren't watching the same series. I was watching the same one as Lowe, anyone watch the series Dwane watched?
                "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
                  Zach Lowe:

Dwane Casey:

Sorry dude, didn't you get the memo? We aren't allowed to question anything an NBA professional does. Seriously, for your own sake, just stop. You're embarrassing yourself.

Where's the pink font button?
                  "Stop eating your sushi."
                  "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                  "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                  - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Most coaches won't interview for a job that one of their colleagues already holds. There was a story a few years back about this but I can't remember the pursued coach in question.

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                      Sorry dude, didn't you get the memo? We aren't allowed to question anything an NBA professional does. Seriously, for your own sake, just stop. You're embarrassing yourself.

Where's the pink font button?
                      I think my copy got lost... along with the pink font button. Thanks for filling me in!

Comment

Same guys on here that demand a massive roster change also demand a better coach.

Which is it?

Commit to something guys, dont just bitch and whine 24/7

I think you people need to go back a year and read the comments. Go back and see how happy you all were.

Its embarrassing for you, you just don't see it because you're on this site 24/7, all together patting each other on the back for how smart you are. But boys, you are missing a nice reality out there.

A coach can lose the battle in the room. That might be the case, and after 14 interviews and then a few more with the staff MU will know this one way or another. But for you guys to simply ignore anything impressive a coach has done, then place your own horribly under educated opinons upon a critique of he capabilities is just wrong.

DC might have lost that room. Masai, for his part might have added few time bombs to a mix that worked..... who knows, but half the reason I am never here anymore is this prevalent, and im sorry, 100% inaccurate and infantile culture of attacking the coach. Even worse, crowning some dude, Zach Lowe, as the fucking final word on all things basketball. What do you think he gets paid? Think he wouldn't be thrilled with a coaching job n the NBA? Assistant???? I wonder why he hasn't got one......

Comment

Superjudge wrote: View Post
                          Same guys on here that demand a massive roster change also demand a better coach.

Which is it?

Why can't it be both? The coach isn't good enough, AND the current core isn't good enough.

#Think

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                            Why can't it be both? The coach isn't good enough, AND the current core isn't good enough.

#Think
                            #ProveEm
                            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Which is it?

I think you people need to go back a year and read the comments. Go back and see how happy you all were.

Its embarrassing for you, you just don't see it because you're on this site 24/7, all together patting each other on the back for how smart you are. But boys, you are missing a nice reality out there.

A coach can lose the battle in the room. That might be the case, and after 14 interviews and then a few more with the staff MU will know this one way or another. But for you guys to simply ignore anything impressive a coach has done, then place your own horribly under educated opinons upon a critique of he capabilities is just wrong.

DC might have lost that room. Masai, for his part might have added few time bombs to a mix that worked..... who knows, but half the reason I am never here anymore is this prevalent, and im sorry, 100% inaccurate and infantile culture of attacking the coach. Even worse, crowning some dude, Zach Lowe, as the fucking final word on all things basketball. What do you think he gets paid? Think he wouldn't be thrilled with a coaching job n the NBA? Assistant???? I wonder why he hasn't got one......
                              False dichotomy. We need a new coach and an injection of talent.

There have been plenty of specific examples given for why many fans do not like DC's coaching of this team.

Comment

But boys, you are missing a nice reality out there.

Even worse, crowning some dude, Zach Lowe, as the fucking final word on all things basketball. What do you think he gets paid? Think he wouldn't be thrilled with a coaching job n the NBA? Assistant???? I wonder why he hasn't got one......
                                Zach Lowe probably makes more than an assistant coach. And I actually don't think he would have any interest being one. That said, the guy is one of the most respected basket-ball writers out there, but you don't get a crown for that. You can shit on whatever I or anyone else says, but Zach watches more game tape than anyone on this site, and probably watches more game tape than most coaches (since they have other people in the org to watch and provide notes). He also gets the privilege of picking the brains of league executives, both on and off the record, something he's done with Ujiri. Is he in the locker room? Nope, but it's pretty hard to take your point of view seriously, when since it seems like you are relient on insults and belittling.

It is NOT embarrassing for me.
                                My opinions are not any more horribly uneducated than yours, so if I'm not educated enough to share my opinion, it stands to reason that you are sufficiently educated enough to have an opinion about my opinion. Especially given that the information you have about me is significantly less than the information I have about Casey and the Raptors.

I'm not sure what "infantile culture is"--babies aren't developed enough to act in any sort of concerted fashion, that could be construed as "culture".

For someone who appears to be asking for others to show a little more perspective, it might be more effective for you to show some yourself.

Comment

Working...
                                X