Greg Monroe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    I think if you somehow land Monroe, JV becomes expendable. Neither guy can hit a jump shot...without pump faking 3 times...so the paint would be realy clogged up. Monroe works well with Drummond because Drummond is really more of a clean up guy and finisher while Monroe is the guy who works in the low post. Would hep with rebounding issues though.
    That's what JV has excelled. JV is a rebounder and a finisher right now. He yet can create his own shot in one on one situations. Monroe been doing consistent for 4 straight years.
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Scouting report
      + Skilled big man with good passing skills.
      + Operates best from elbows, but needs space to work.
      + Above-average defender. He's tough with limited athleticism and can struggle in space.

Analysis
      Perhaps the biggest causality of the Pistons' lackluster season was the 6-foot-11 Monroe. Sharing a frontcourt with Drummond and Smith proved difficult for Monroe, to say the least, and it went a long way toward masking the things Monroe does best. Monroe is very good with the ball in his hands but was used more last season as a finisher. His assist rate fell by more than two percent, and his rebounding was down, as was his usage. It doesn't help that Monroe has lost confidence in his midrange shot, hitting just 24 percent on long 2s.

Given Monroe's discomfort, it's less than shocking he spent the summer avoiding offer sheets on the restricted free-agent market and ultimately signed the Pistons' qualifying offer. The move gives him leisure to pick his team after the season and prevents Detroit from dealing him this season without his approval. However, forgoing what would have likely been a sizable contract extension is a risk if he gets hurt and is money he probably won't be able to make up even if he doesn't. It will be interesting see how Van Gundy focuses Monroe's strengths, of which there are plenty. One is simply showing up: Monroe has missed just three games in four seasons as a pro.
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Greg Monroe is a two way player.
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

rocwell wrote: View Post
          great fit for us? Are you kidding me?

Greg + JV = disaster. 2way PF is what we need.
          Then trade JV, problem solved

Comment

peanutwoozle wrote: View Post
            Then trade JV, problem solved
            and how's that exactly?

Comment

Monroe would be a great addition.... if we had a SG that could shoot 3's, and a centre who felt comfortable shooting 12-15 footers. Having Jonas and Monroe with a SG who primarily tries to get to the rim would be a disaster. There would be no floor spacing. To have an inside-outside game all three wings (PG, SG, SF) have to be a threat outside. We basically need a stretch 4 when DeMar is on the court.

With or without Monroe, Jonas has to get comfortable shooting without pump faking from 10- 15 feet away from the basket.

Comment

SVG has had some very positive things to say about Monroe's defense this year.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/spo...undy/22253271/

"He's a very good low post defender, in my opinion. And he's a smart defender. He doesn't make a lot of mistakes."
                He's not a shot blocker but he's not out of position very much," Van Gundy said. "He's very attentive to game plans, you can make adjustments with him. He's smart, a very good position defender. I think he's developed that over time."
                "He's not that freak athlete where he can make a mistake and recover with quickness and jumping ability," Van Gundy said of Monroe. "He's got to be in the right spot and he is. His mental approach and ability makes him a solid defender."

I'm not sold on him, but I wouldn't write him off as a complete non-fit for us.

Comment

rocwell wrote: View Post
                  and how's that exactly?
                  You claimed the two don't fit, so getting rid of one of them would solve the problem, right?

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                    If you think JV is slow and a poor defender, you're going to really be enthralled with Monroe.
                    He's brutal defensively. Should fit in well with DC's scramble defence.

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                      Greg Monroe is a two way player.
                      clueless

Comment

hes an upgrade over whatever we have at the 4.

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post
                          clueless
                          So I guess Stan is clueless and who ever wrote his scouting report on ESPN is as well.

He has all the tools. 7'2.25" wingspan and agile. He also thinks the game. He knows where he suppose to be. He a lot like 2pat that way.
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Watching that video, a lot of his moves were on skinny jonas. Skinny jonas really sucked, glad he bulked up. He was slow for a pf AND tiny for a centre. Now he's just big, which is awesome
                            I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

peanutwoozle wrote: View Post
                              You claimed the two don't fit, so getting rid of one of them would solve the problem, right?
                              No.

Comment

Nope nope nope.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X