Are Casey's assistants the problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Casey's assistants the problem?

I look at Los Angeles Clippers who have Lawrence Frank and Mike Woodson ... Cassey is a young ( in coaching experience ) and so shouldn't somebody in his staff have some veteran experience .. Did Cassey even hire his own assistants ? I do recall his men were removed two summers ago ..

I think most of the current assistants are direct Masai hires, no?

Comment

But at the end of the day, it all depends on what kind of relationship Casey has with his staff, and what kind of power is afforded to them.

We could have the greatest assistants in the world, but it won't help if Casey chooses to ignore them.

Comment

This staff was chosen by Casey as far as I thought.

The old staff was not Casey's, it was largely BC's. Sterner is the only holdover, and not surprisingly, he was in Dallas with Casey.

All the guys currently there were chosen with Casey's approval, if not outright just as his decision. Assistants are not the problem.

Comment

If/hopefully when we hire a new coach. I hope the entire staff is fired. Except maybe sterner for obvious reasons. (Championship experience and his god like persona)

Id want the new coach to put together his own coaching staff that fits his (or maybe even her) playstyle
          I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

I think part of the problem may be that Casey doesn't have a good strong defensive assistant coach (at least I don't know who it is). I think he's trying to play that role himself as well as head coach. That's tough.

Management theory 101 would be that he should look at giving up the defensive role to someone else, and focus on managing people.

Comment

What are the responsibilities of the assistant coaches though. Are they usually not the ones whom work most closely with the young players to develop them? I ask because there is a lot of talk of how JV's developments isn't where it should be in his 3rd year (I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with this). If this is true does it fall on Casey or the assistants more so?

Comment

I remember when we hired Nurse it was like "oh thank god we'll actually run plays now" meanwhile...
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                  This staff was chosen by Casey as far as I thought.

The old staff was not Casey's, it was largely BC's. Sterner is the only holdover, and not surprisingly, he was in Dallas with Casey.

All the guys currently there were chosen with Casey's approval, if not outright just as his decision. Assistants are not the problem.
                  Exactly. The problem lies with the head coach. The assistants are largely yes men.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                    I remember when we hired Nurse it was like "oh thank god we'll actually run plays now" meanwhile...
                    We did have a good system last year, "the horns." This year the offence was constructed differently, according to Patrick Patterson. He said more plays were run for him, but the offence as a whole often broke down. It actually worked better for the bench, at least early in the season, than it did for the starters, for reasons that have been endlessly discussed.

Comment

Working...
                    X