Batum: Does he still fit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batum: Does he still fit?

Question is: Will Batum be on the Blazers roster next season to avenge his bad play?

He’s scheduled to make around $11.8 million for the 2015-16 season, which is the final of his four-year contract. There have been rumblings the Blazers could look to move Batum this offseason, maybe around draft time, where GM Neil Olshey promised the team would be “very active.”

Asked about the possibility of being traded this offseason, Batum said: “If that happens, it happens. That’s the business, I understand that. I mean, I can’t control that. All I can control is what I put on the court. I know what I am going to do this summer is try to get better.”

Blazers fans may be attracted to San Antonio’s Kawhi Leonard, but he’s a restricted free agent, who the Spurs seem likely to keep. Instead, if the Blazers look to, and succeed at, trading Batum, keep an eye on Dallas Mavericks small forward Al-Farouq Aminu. He has a player option for around $1.1 million next season, and could opt out, looking to secure a more favorable deal with Dallas or elsewhere.

The connection here: Olshey drafted Aminu during his days with the Los Angeles Clippers. He could look to add him again, maybe for less than Batum’s $11-plus million salary.

Both Olshey and Stotts met with Batum before he departed for the summer. Asked what they told him, Batum said: “Just to be myself again. That’s it.”

If Batum can do that, the Blazers, or another team, should reap the benefit.

http://www.csnnw.com/blazers/season-...-nicolas-batum
    Batum was always very popular on the forums.

He is now 26 (27 in December).

Final year of contract at around $11M. More importantly, Raps would have his Bird Rights.

Would Batum fit on Raptors?

Is there anything Raps could put together to entice Blazers?

Ross and maybe a first? Batum could be what ross is supposto be. A three and d wing. And tge first is a late first. Im willing to deal it since we already have enough youth on the roster. (Bruno bebe dad) Dont need another
    I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Can he still play is the first question. Last year he completely fell apart. Shooting %s all dipped but his 32.4% from deep is most concerning. If he can't find that shot, he is useless.

His defence is still good, but if he can't shoot, is he bringing anything that we don't have in JJ (or Fields for that matter)? Not sure there is much of a role for him there (especially if Casey is coach).

$11.8 mil expiring is at least a manageable contract. That would be the only reason to consider the risk, but you'd have to give up a pretty good player (basically either KL or DD for straight up contracts or a combo of GV or PPAT plys S&T Lou) to make the money work.

Portland owes their 2016 pick to Denver (lotto protected in 2016 & 2017), so that limits options.

Honestly, I think it's a pass for me unless they take back GV & Lou, which they'd be stupid to do.
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I can see the Blazers being stupid this summer to try to keep Aldridge happy. So you may be able to get Batum for cheap. Perhaps all they want is cap space.

Raptors don't really have many good trade assets though. 6 of the players are free agents, and I doubt the Blazers would want to take part in a S&T. GV is an expiring but do the Blazers need another PG? Lowry/DD are worth too much to give away. JV has probably the most worth on the team due to contract but you don't move him for an expiring. Ross has value as a prospect but he doesn't make a lot so can't really do a player swap easily and if you package him with GV I think the Blazers say no. Patterson may be the most tradeable but I don't think the Raptors would trade him considering the fact they are already hurting at the PF spot.

If the Raptors are to improve I think it will be through free agency or draft unfortunately. I think when we have more contracts locked up we could talk about trades.. but that won't be until after this summer.

Anyway Batum played like crap last year too.. is he injured? Is it in his head? His team moves the ball around too, so he gets open looks. Not sure what it is, but I'd personally pass.

Comment

Pretty sure Batum had some injuries he was dealing with and never really got right. IF I remember correctly he had some back issue, a wrist/hand issue and some minor knee contusions.

I think he fits very well on the roster....if we bring back decent movement on offense. Nic has great assist numbers for a forward and can rebound at a decent rate from the 3 spot. He would be a HUGE upgrade from anything we have. Ross, Bruno, and our firts rounder this year or next and I would pull the trigger.
          Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Arron A. is leaving portland as well from the looks of it so.... I don't know they have a shot and a legitimate one. It would take Ross + a first plus something else to get it done. Perhaps T-Hans. Perhaps even JJ.

I would do it cost dependent. He would fit on this team.

Comment

Whoa, am I the only one who absolutely would not trade a first round pick for a one year Batum rental? The guy looked horrible this year and I'd be pretty cautious about giving up value for the last year of his $12m contract. He may not be the player he was again, better to let somebody else take that risk and include him on your list of 2016 FA's to target.
              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                Whoa, am I the only one who absolutely would not trade a first round pick for a one year Batum rental? The guy looked horrible this year and I'd be pretty cautious about giving up value for the last year of his $12m contract. He may not be the player he was again, better to let somebody else take that risk and include him on your list of 2016 FA's to target.
                I wouldn't. Unless it was some sort of package where its Raptor Player + 1st nets us Batum + 1st

Comment

I wouldn't give up a first for him.

I would do Ross + Johnson though.

Or Ross/Johnson/20 for Batum/23.
                  Last edited by mcHAPPY; Tue May 5, 2015, 12:17 PM.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post

Heh, Batum basically is Ross + Johnson, isn't he.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post

They each make less than $3M, Batum is $11M.
                      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Yup. No need to shed any valuable assets for him now. And I think he'd be a great fit here, assuming he returns to form...but yeah, not worth giving something like a pick up for when you can just wait til free agency. And we don't have many other assets to deal. I'd do it for Greivis and Ross....but I don't even think the money works there.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                          Throw in Landry Fields and it's almost a perfect salary match.

Comment

Throw in Landry Fields and it's almost a perfect salary match.
                            Too bad that's impossible...sigh...

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                              Ross is $3.5, JJ $2.5

Batum is $12.2

Raptors would have cap space to do trade if they renounced rights or they could include Amir as a S&T.

Hey - maybe Ross/JJ/S&T Amir for Batum?

It would leave a hole at PF. Maybe make a run at TT?

I'm just throwing stuff out there. I'm bored.

Comment

Working...
                              X