Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has there ever been a more important off season in franchise history?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH
    replied
    psrs1 wrote: View Post
    Our payroll this year was 81million.
    Yes. Well, no, but close enough. 76M. Nonetheless, to actually sign players you need cap room or exceptions. You don't get to just keep spending whatever you want when contracts expire.

Leave a comment:

• psrs1
    replied
    DanH wrote: View Post
    Yes. Um. The salary cap this summer is 67M, so that 80M number is a bit of a problem.
    Our payroll this year was 81million.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    So far we only have 48million on the books for next year. We could sign one big contract with smaller fillers and still be in the 80+ million range.
    Yes. Um. The salary cap this summer is 67M, so that 80M number is a bit of a problem.

Leave a comment:

• S.R.
    replied
    I wouldn't be that excited about an Aldridge/DD pairing, but agreed that the Raps may be forced to just get good players on solid contracts if they get outbid on the FA market. As long as you have good assets on good contracts and you're still developing some youth internally, you're in a good position to make a big trade as soon as something comes up. There's a false sense of security with free agency, just because you know a guy will be available in a given summer - very hard to outbid major US markets. Historically, the Raps have never really done it. Hedo/JO/Old Hakeem are at the top of the list, which is pretty sad.

Leave a comment:

• psrs1
    replied
    Also, how are we planning to offer the max to Aldridge? We have nowhere near enough cap room - he's a veteran, not a RFA, his max is significantly higher.
    So far we only have 48million on the books for next year. We could sign one big contract with smaller fillers and still be in the 80+ million range.

Leave a comment:

• psrs1
    replied
    Also, how are we planning to offer the max to Aldridge? We have nowhere near enough cap room - he's a veteran, not a RFA, his max is significantly higher.
    My point is that if we can get a quality FA this year rather than waiting for next year it might be worth the risk. Putting too much emphasis on the summer of 2016 could be a big mistake. I disagree with the notion that Aldridge is inefficient.

Leave a comment:

• ebrian
    replied
    Like for example, we extend Casey's contract another 5 years. Expect that, and then you will be pleasantly surprised.
    ...when he only gets a four year extension?
    Last edited by thead; Mon May 11, 2015, 12:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Scraptor
    replied
    MixxAOR wrote: View Post
    how would inefficient big man work with inefficient guards though? I don't know if that line up is actually good.
    Yeah it'd be a hot mess given that Aldridge and DeRozan have been two of the leaders in mid-range jump shooting for a while. Aldridge works in Portland because they surrounded him with 3-point shooters. Put him here or in New York with Melo, who also is a leader in mid-range jumpers, and spacing would be a disaster.

If we move DeMar for a 3 it might work though. Could see some high-low stuff going with Aldridge and Val. But I'd rather look elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

• MixxAOR
    replied
    I know this is HIGHLY UNLIKELY but.....why not offer Lamarcus Aldridge max contract and sell him on easier path to NBA finals

KL/GV
    DD/LW
    TR/JJ
    LA/PP
    JV/Veteran Backup Centre

That could be a pretty exciting lineup. We could also trade TR but the 4 position would be a huge upgrade.

It's nice to dream....I agree that KD not coming and most likely LA going to SA.
    how would inefficient big man work with inefficient guards though? I don't know if that line up is actually good.

Leave a comment:

• raptors999
    replied
    Problem with the off season and Casey is nobody has a clue what the team concept is next season and its the fourth year with the same coach. At least a new coach has some plan and history executing that plan somewhere. Casey is worse than a coach with no NBA HC experience since he's basically going back to step 1 in the rebuild. The game plan determines what the priority is whether it SF, PF or PG since realistically they can only upgrade one position in a meaningful way.

Leave a comment:

• psrs1
    replied
    I know this is HIGHLY UNLIKELY but.....why not offer Lamarcus Aldridge max contract and sell him on easier path to NBA finals

KL/GV
    DD/LW
    TR/JJ
    LA/PP
    JV/Veteran Backup Centre

That could be a pretty exciting lineup. We could also trade TR but the 4 position would be a huge upgrade.

It's nice to dream....I agree that KD not coming and most likely LA going to SA.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    Look around the league and look at teams that have been made by having big FA signings from another team.

Miami: Bosh
    Houston: Howard
    Cleveland: LBJ (exception)

That's it.

All the other teams have been constructed from drafts or trade. I hate all this FA talk of "this guys gonna come to this team"

No, it actually just doesn't happen very often.

Draft and trades are the only ways we are going to build a team, so lets start doing those properly.
    The big thing with each of those teams was they had a star and at minimum a small core in place.

In Miami the core was small but it included Wade and James.

Houston had Harden.

Cleveland is an exception but they also had Irving and other young pieces/picks that became trade pieces to bolster core.

I don't think Araptorsa are going to have anyone lining up to join this current core.

Leave a comment:

• OldSkoolCool
    replied
    KHD wrote: View Post
    We aren't signing durant.

2016 is an illusion. Our way to success is to acquire youthful talent to put into a long-term viewpoint system that runs from development (D-league team, player development) to on-court product. This summer, we need to put the building blocks in place for that system: coaches, training staff, the like. As well, we need to sell high on anything that isn't in the 5-8 year plan, to acquire as much young talent as possible.

Sustainability is the name of the game for this team, because we won't lure the big names.
    mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    Not with the current core.
    Look around the league and look at teams that have been made by having big FA signings from another team.

Miami: Bosh
    Houston: Howard
    Cleveland: LBJ (exception)

That's it.

All the other teams have been constructed from drafts or trade. I hate all this FA talk of "this guys gonna come to this team"

No, it actually just doesn't happen very often.

Draft and trades are the only ways we are going to build a team, so lets start doing those properly.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    KHD wrote: View Post
    We aren't signing durant.

2016 is an illusion. Our way to success is to acquire youthful talent to put into a long-term viewpoint system that runs from development (D-league team, player development) to on-court product. This summer, we need to put the building blocks in place for that system: coaches, training staff, the like. As well, we need to sell high on anything that isn't in the 5-8 year plan, to acquire as much young talent as possible.

Sustainability is the name of the game for this team, because we won't lure the big names.
    Not with the current core.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X