No announcement yet.

Game #74 Sixers at what's left of the Raptors Sunday March 31st 6:00pm on TSN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game #74 Sixers at what's left of the Raptors Sunday March 31st 6:00pm on TSN

And with that begun an uneasy step into the unknown of the Raptors 2023-24 season

So as we endure the final death spiral of this season,
    I stand before you to say,
    it was a great success!

No, I'm not selling snakeskin oil here.
    I'm not paying homage to a certain foolish day in April that follows this game.

Where were we at the beginning of the season?
    We were not suffering delusions of grandeur,
    expecting the Raps to make it to the Finals.
    (maybe I suffered a bit of grandeur betting the win over but...whatever)

So,
    what were the goals of the season?
    What boxes did we have to tick to make it a success?

1)
    What is Scottie?
    Hard to believe but if you can take yourself back 6 or 7 months ago,
    there was a good chunk of the NBA ether (Raps fans included)
    that worried Scottie was another Michael Carter-Williams.
    So did we get an answer?

And this for good measure,
    I can't find the original tweet but it went something like this
    golden wrote: View Post

My expectation is for regular 20/10/5 seasons in the future.... depending on how Scottie's 3-pt shot develops. Something like 17.5 / 8.5 / 5.5 would be good progress for this year.
    with @HPbasketball responding to that prediction
    by saying "nice thought but that would make him do something
    only these x number of greats have done before"
    And he did it
    (if anyone can find that exchange, I would love to see it again)

Check.

2)
    Chose an uncomfortable direction with Pascal and, to a lesser extent, OG.

Say what you will about hindsight, but that's a pretty good haul
    for a player that either didn't want to sign with us or we didn't want to resign.

Check

3)

Develop our new late lottery Dick pick
    Gotta admit, things looked dicey as he looked like a not ready for 905 time player.
    But amid many doubters,
    here we are.
    Sure he's got style

but he's also got substance

He's shown enough to be a starter next year.
    Do we need him to guard the other team's best scorer?
    No. If that happens something's gone wrong.
    As in right now he is guarding the other team's best player.
    And many things have gone wrong

Check

4)

Develop some of the bench
    I'll give them a pass on this one.
    As in, Jontay looked like he could be an interesting big
    as he showed elite level passing.
    That was, until he decided not to pass
    and to hit on 16 instead

5)

How's the new coach?

This might elicit some mixed reviews.
    But the season has not made it easy on him.
    But even with all that,
    with multiple injuries,
    historic losses and historic losing streaks,
    the team still managed to do this

Pretty sure that's good and that's the sign of a system that could work
    when we actually have players.

Check.

So maybe not an A+ with the lack of an improving bench,
    but definitely an A.

I can't imagine anyone could disagree but let me know if you do,

But alas, there is likely a certain taste that
    you feel on your tongue when you think about this team

(follow me here...if you notice purple sparkles between your seats at the game Sunday,
    she'll have performed at the arena the night before
    and undoubtedly put on a better show than Sixers-Raps)

But drink whatever you can to wash that taste out of your mouth.
    Because,
    and hear me out,
    the only thing worse than bad Raptors basketball,
    is no Raptors basketball.

So with only nine games to go,
    enjoy what we have left.
    Remember, a Sixers win helps a little more with getting Indy in the play in.
    Would you want to bet your season on one game against the Hawks or Bulls?

Go Raps

That assists record of 2086 is crazy. 2086 assists would have placed us 14th in the league last year. It says something about Darko's system, but a lot more about Raptors teams in years past. The old record was our championship season and we were 13th that year. Casey's 2015-16 and 2016-17 teams won 107 regular season games, but finished 29th and 30th in assists with a total of 3053.
    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Huge week upcoming. Grizz start a road trip in Orlando tomorrow, Detroit Monday, Milwaukee Wednesday and back home to face Detroit Friday. We'll have a back to back, finishing our homestand Tuesday vs the Lakers and flying out to face the TWolves Wednesday, then on to play the Bucks Friday.

If the Grizz beat the Pistons once, we'll have breathing room, sweep the Pistons and the #6 position will be pretty well ours.
      If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Wedgie! This game makes me feel less bad about waiving Jeff Dowtin Jr.

Comment

What a thread!

Comment

5 posts in a game thread. That's hilarious. And the game was at 6pm. I know Easter and all that but still that's super funny.

Well I saw that game because I'm a degenerate. I know the feeling when you start itching for ball and preseason is still a month away. So want to get all these games in now.

Anyway, we ultimately lost because of the 3pt shot. Our 3pt defense has been so bad lately. Or teams just have so much confidence that they can score at 50% from behind the line against us. Oubre was on fire. But it wasn't just him. Cameron Payne made 6 threes.. like get out of here with that crap. Kyle who's a 33% shooter this year made 3 of 5. Batum made 5 of 6. You can't compete with that. We made it close at times but it doesn't make a difference when the opponent is shooting 3's like they are layups. Maxey wasn't even playing. I mean Philly is 19th in 3pt%.

Offensively we were pretty good though. Scored 120. A lot of those were with ball movement. Finished with 31 assists. Kelly had 11 of those and he's been great as our PG. Trent and Nwora were our big scorers. I thought Simmons was pretty good last night too. Dick got to the line a few times. He made some nice quick shots in the mid range which was nice to see.

Still rolling. 13 now in a row. Nothing has changed in the standings though. Still 6th worst. Still 1 game back (or ahead I guess) of 7th worst. It's so hard to tank.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
              5 posts in a game thread. That's hilarious. And the game was at 6pm. I know Easter and all that but still that's super funny.

Well I saw that game because I'm a degenerate. I know the feeling when you start itching for ball and preseason is still a month away. So want to get all these games in now.

Anyway, we ultimately lost because of the 3pt shot. Our 3pt defense has been so bad lately. Or teams just have so much confidence that they can score at 50% from behind the line against us. Oubre was on fire. But it wasn't just him. Cameron Payne made 6 threes.. like get out of here with that crap. Kyle who's a 33% shooter this year made 3 of 5. Batum made 5 of 6. You can't compete with that. We made it close at times but it doesn't make a difference when the opponent is shooting 3's like they are layups. Maxey wasn't even playing. I mean Philly is 19th in 3pt%.

Offensively we were pretty good though. Scored 120. A lot of those were with ball movement. Finished with 31 assists. Kelly had 11 of those and he's been great as our PG. Trent and Nwora were our big scorers. I thought Simmons was pretty good last night too. Dick got to the line a few times. He made some nice quick shots in the mid range which was nice to see.

Still rolling. 13 now in a row. Nothing has changed in the standings though. Still 6th worst. Still 1 game back (or ahead I guess) of 7th worst. It's so hard to tank.
              If they're not going to fire Darko, then they need to bring in the best possible defensive assistant coach (i.e. find the next Thibs, back when he was Doc Rivers assistant). Not trying to stir up that "coaching matters" debate again, but defense is the one area where it's 100% irrefutable that coaching can make a huge difference. All the Raps contract issues should be resolved next season, so there won't be excuses for guys saving energy to chase stats instead of playing hard on D.

That said, regardless of the assistant coach, I don't know if Darko has it in him to hold guys accountable for not playing hard on D.... that would create a lot less smiles and hugs.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post

If they're not going to fire Darko, then they need to bring in the best possible defensive assistant coach (i.e. find the next Thibs, back when he was Doc Rivers assistant). Not trying to stir up that "coaching matters" debate again, but defense is the one area where it's 100% irrefutable that coaching can make a huge difference. All the Raps contract issues should be resolved next season, so there won't be excuses for guys saving energy to chase stats instead of playing hard on D.

That said, regardless of the assistant coach, I don't know if Darko has it in him to hold guys accountable for not playing hard on D.... that would create a lot less smiles and hugs.
                Personnel matters more than coaching. Even on defense. Raptors had a pretty half decent defense when healthy (post trades).

I mean our starting 5 of Jak, Scottie, RJ, IQ and Gary have only played 10 games... but when they are on the court they have a defensive rating of 109.2 The Magic as a team have a defensive rating of 110.4 (2nd in the league).

I mean its a super small sample size but it shows that our starting group can be good defensively.. and that includes RJ, Gary and IQ who are not very good defenders.

Add a few defensive guys off the bench and maybe we have something. It should start with getting another defensive big man. So that Kelly is not on an Island.

As for 3pt shooting defense. No idea on how to solve that one. Maybe close Scotia Bank so that the opposing team can't get shots up before pre game?

Comment

Its weird how hard is it to get up on guys at the three line? Not like its a recent thing either. Hope your right planetmars and when healthy the starting five will be the cure. For the bench Id like a mobile big with a little girth that can play D. Someone like Adem Bona intrigues me with our 31st or get another early 2nd

https://youtu.be/273usMziS-Q?si=y_hRhdFqSt5L4Kqx

https://youtu.be/uSWKeKAdplE?si=7XKkXLUMpvoFyVPh
                  Last edited by Yuri Gagarin; Mon Apr 1, 2024, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Yuri Gagarin wrote: View Post
                    Its weird how hard is it to get up on guys at the three line? Not like its a recent thing either. Hope your right planetmars and when healthy the starting five will be the cure. For the bench Id like a mobile big with a little girth that can play D. Someone like Adem Bona intrigues me with our 31st or get another early 2nd

https://youtu.be/273usMziS-Q?si=y_hRhdFqSt5L4Kqx

https://youtu.be/uSWKeKAdplE?si=7XKkXLUMpvoFyVPh
                    poppy playtime chapter 3
                    Nice videos

Comment

Working...
                    X