Synergy: Defensive Possessions Against

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synergy: Defensive Possessions Against

In reading the article in this post I just put up on Tobias Harris, I came across an interesting statistic.

When judging NBA defenders, it’s important to look beyond opponent shooting percentages. Giving up the shot (especially at the rim) is already a partial failure. Offenses will try to avoid the best defenders. Even when challenged, the best defenders force passes or turnovers before shots. The best defense in the NBA is no shot at all.

Synergy tracks defensive possessions in the NBA. They track when the defender faces isolations, pick and rolls, post-ups, hand-offs, and off-the-ball screens. We will refer to the collection of these defensive possessions as Defensive Possessions Against (DPA). Together, these constitute all of the defensive possessions (that Synergy tracks) where the defender is in a position to defend his man with all of his defensive options available. It excludes transition plays, put-backs after offensive rebounds, and kick outs after the shooters’ defenders dropped to help.

http://www.basketballanalyticsbook.c...rrated-player/

Does anyone have access to Synergy?

Does anyone have the means to look at the Raptors players, particularly wings, to find their Defensive Possessions Against (DPA)?

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    In reading the article in this post I just put up on Tobias Harris, I came across an interesting statistic.

Does anyone have access to Synergy?

Does anyone have the means to look at the Raptors players, particularly wings, to find their Defensive Possessions Against (DPA)?
    That would be interesting. This was easy to see with D.Jordan in the first round - crazy to see vets like Ginobli and Parker or 7 foot centres not even attempt a shot after DJ got into their head with a few blocks. Guys have great position at the rim and instead turn the possession into a desperate bail out pass towards the perimeter that they hope somebody catches.
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

is this a subscription based thing? Perhaps the republic could crowdfund the fee and make it available for the writers here. It sounds like it has a lot more to offer than just this one stat

*I'd chip in a few bucks if it helped
      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
        is this a subscription based thing? Perhaps the republic could crowdfund the fee and make it available for the writers here. It sounds like it has a lot more to offer than just this one stat

Ditto
        Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
        Because its 2015

Comment

thead wrote: View Post

Yeah, it is, I know the HQ has a license (well, SBNation has some they dole out, anyway). I haven't taken advantage of it due to my distrust if synergy stats - and the raw stuff is all available for free via NBA.com anyway, as of this year.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
            Yeah, it is, I know the HQ has a license (well, SBNation has some they dole out, anyway). I haven't taken advantage of it due to my distrust if synergy stats - and the raw stuff is all available for free via NBA.com anyway, as of this year.
            why don't you trust synergy stats? just curious.

Comment

DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
              why don't you trust synergy stats? just curious.
              Not trying to speak for Dan, but I did some analysis of the synergy post D numbers, and they're very prone to flaws. For example, guys who lack mobility like Val and AlJeff show solid on post D, but are horrible at spot up shooting D because they are unconsciously cheating by staying home.

On D you really have to take the whole spectrum of numbers together, and then use the eye-test to make sure things are legit. On offense Synergy is much more useful on a play-by-play basis.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                Not trying to speak for Dan, but I did some analysis of the synergy post D numbers, and they're very prone to flaws. For example, guys who lack mobility like Val and AlJeff show solid on post D, but are horrible at spot up shooting D because they are unconsciously cheating by staying home.

On D you really have to take the whole spectrum of numbers together, and then use the eye-test to make sure things are legit. On offense Synergy is much more useful on a play-by-play basis.
                Yeah, defensively they fall pretty short - it's kind of like individual defensive rating - it can give an idea of what a player can do individually, but does a terrible job describing help or team defence, which in today's game is 90% of defence. I'd use it for isolation defence and post defence (even then with some hesitation) but the rest of the defensive numbers I don't have any faith in. Offensively it has similar failings, though not to the same degree.

Throw in that most of the play by play data is available for free now and I haven't felt the urge to delve into the pay service. Probably will at some point just to see what there is.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                X