Report: Raptors to target Monty Williams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scraptor wrote: View Post
    Oh I was just being glib. It was either joke about being swept or upgrading to the 22nd best defense.

Williams has definitely been on the chopping block for a while. I actually have read a couple really positive stories about Williams as a person and as a teacher, but I don't know if this change would be anything more than cosmetic.
    Fair enough.

I wonder why Williams would even be interested. Surely he'll get a crack at another head coaching job at some point and he's still under contract so NOLA has to pay him. Why not just take a vacation for a year?

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
      Fair enough.

I wonder why Williams would even be interested. Surely he'll get a crack at another head coaching job at some point and he's still under contract so NOLA has to pay him. Why not just take a vacation for a year?
      Because there is blood in the water in Toronto. He could easily become a head coach for us next year when Casey falls on his face again. I think we'll get him if he doesn't get one of the current head coach openings.

This isn't an endorsement of Williams for our next coach. He actually seems very Casey esque in that he's a good assistant who can't quite cut it as a head coach.

Comment

the good news is although Masai is targeting Monty as an assistant head coach...he seeking another HC position and is a candidate for the ORL or DEN job. chances are he's not in Toronto next year...regardless of the fact NO snuck into the playoffs b/c of a banged up OKC the pelicans have always underachieved with the talent they have there...

Comment

RepTdot wrote: View Post
          the good news is although Masai is targeting Monty as an assistant head coach...he seeking another HC position and is a candidate for the ORL or DEN job. chances are he's not in Toronto next year...regardless of the fact NO snuck into the playoffs b/c of a banged up OKC the pelicans have always underachieved with the talent they have there...
          I could totally see Denver and Orlando picking up Brooks and Williams, which would be great, as I'll be pissed if they get one or two of the elite assistant coaches that we should be hiring right now.

Comment

From what I have read Williams is similar to Casey in terms of developing rapport with his players but is not viewed as a great x's and o's coach. I will admit his results this season were superior to Casey's given the injuries and the competition but I don't love this hire for our staff. I think NO should have fired Demps as well because I hate most of the moves they have made since drafting Davis. I wish we were shopping for a new head coach rather than a lead assistant though. Frustrating.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
              Anthony Davis >>>> Toronto Raptors
              I think any team could win a 15 on one game.

Comment

I think this is pretty obvious.

You add a high character guy to a coaching staff with head coaching experience so if the lame duck is lead to the chopping block earlier than expected you have someone with extremely high character and NBA head coaching experience to safely navigate to the end of the season.

Next off season you target your coach for the future (which I hope happens regardless of whether Casey makes it through next season or not).

Comment

tDotted wrote: View Post
                  For those saying Monty is worse than Casey; something to consider:

In their series against the GSW (with Norris Cole getting significant minutes), the 67 win Warriors only won by a margin of victory of 8 points. The Raptors on the other hand lost by a margin of 14 to the 46 win Wizards.
                  Playoff brow is better than all the raps combined
                  I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
                    I think you missed the point.

Comment

Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
                      Ahahaha good sig! Punking OldSkool hard lmao
                      You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                        Pelicans get swept by higher seed: fire coach, target Tom Thibodeau
                        Raptors get swept by lower seed: keep coach, target fired Pelicans coach
                        this shit right here is so fucking sad, thanks for the perspective. sums up quite a bit about our gm, he dont have the stones to make the big decisions #FIREMU bell and rogers need to step the fuck up, they should emulate molson

Comment

tDotted wrote: View Post
                          I think any team could win a 15 on one game.
                          not if its coached by Casey, he would still run iso's on offence.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                            I think this is pretty obvious.

You add a high character guy to a coaching staff with head coaching experience so if the lame duck is lead to the chopping block earlier than expected you have someone with extremely high character and NBA head coaching experience to safely navigate to the end of the season.

Next off season you target your coach for the future (which I hope happens regardless of whether Casey makes it through next season or not).
                            what, is MU still evaluating Casey, because if so then #FIREMU

he signed JJ for one reason, I don't even need to say it because the reason is so well known.

Casey did not play him in the playoff, nothing else needs to be said becasue we've all discussed why/how this happened

either jj fucked up and should of been waived (MU does nothing)

or Casey did have a grudge and we witnessed the results (MU does nothing)

if jj should of been waived but was not becasue was viewed as an assest he should of been moved at the trade deadline becasue this issues clearly happened before it ended.

Comment

Day One wrote: View Post
                              what, is MU still evaluating Casey, because if so then #FIREMU

he signed JJ for one reason, I don't even need to say it because the reason is so well known.

Casey did not play him in the playoff, nothing else needs to be said becasue we've all discussed why/how this happened

either jj fucked up and should of been waived (MU does nothing)

or Casey did have a grudge and we witnessed the results (MU does nothing)

if jj should of been waived but was not becasue was viewed as an assest he should of been moved at the trade deadline becasue this issues clearly happened before it ended.
                              And most in the media accepted DC's explanation re 'special matchup'.

Comment

I guess we'll have an interim head coach if we fire Casey.
                                The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Working...
                                X