No announcement yet.

Report: Raptors to target Monty Williams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the move. Monty is known as development coach. People put the player development on Casey. When its not in his job. Player development is the assistant coaches jobs.

https://youtu.be/JuPFmiIuz0c
    Start listening at the 27 min mark. Charles talk about a bit about the impact of an assistant coach.
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

tDotted wrote: View Post
      I think any team could win a 15 on one game.
      Not if they don't pass the ball. Casey ball for the loss.
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Let me get this straight:

- Casey is not that bad, it's the players who suck. Upgrade the roster.
        - Monty Williams is not that good, he just had Antony Davis. Player made the coach.

Now I've got questions about what makes a good coach, because I'm not sure what we're looking for anymore

In other news, I was re-watching Cavs/Bulls game 5 and you should have heard Chris Webber ragging on the Bulls offense. He was knocking Thibs' play calling/off. system prettty hard. Thought there was no excuse for such a talented team to be so low scoring, basically.
        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

I don't think anyone isn't placing any blame on Casey...the roster needs a few upgrades (SF/PF/Backup 5) but not a complete overhaul like a lot of the over-reactors here are calling for...

- Casey is a bad coach who mismanaged key players that influence our wins (i.e JJ, JV, overusing Ross), showed no creativity on offence (iso heavy, 3-ball), and had a bottom 5 defense after a top 10 the year before when his calling card is supposed to be D!
          - Monty Williams has always underachieved in NO...any roster with an MVP calibre player in Davis with a supporting cast of Holiday, Gordon, Evans, Asik, Anderson and Anjica should have been alott better...Monty and Casey are similiar in that sense where they are not good x n o coaches that mismanages players...

Comment

RepTdot wrote: View Post
            I don't think anyone isn't placing any blame on Casey...the roster needs a few upgrades (SF/PF/Backup 5) but not a complete overhaul like a lot of the over-reactors here are calling for...

- Casey is a bad coach who mismanaged key players that influence our wins (i.e JJ, JV, overusing Ross), showed no creativity on offence (iso heavy, 3-ball), and had a bottom 5 defense after a top 10 the year before when his calling card is supposed to be D!
            - Monty Williams has always underachieved in NO...any roster with an MVP calibre player in Davis with a supporting cast of Holiday, Gordon, Evans, Asik, Anderson and Anjica should have been alott better...Monty and Casey are similiar in that sense where they are not good x n o coaches that mismanages players...
            The problem is you can't upgrade SF, PF, and backup 5 without some kind of overhaul. We have $16M in cap space, that's enough for one of those positions and a steamer-esque backup center. A trade of one of our main guys has to happen to make the other upgrades you want. If we're going tank job you can trade Lowry and promote GV to starter, that guarantees a lottery slot. If we're still shooting for the playoffs you either have to keep Lowry or replace him with another competent starter.

Comment

RepTdot wrote: View Post

- Monty Williams has always underachieved in NO...any roster with an MVP calibre player in Davis (68 games) with a supporting cast of Holiday (40 games), Gordon (61 games), Evans (79 games), Asik (76 games), Anderson (61 games) and Anjica (Oh no you di'nt! lol - 68 games) should have been alott better...Monty and Casey are similiar in that sense where they are not good x n o coaches that mismanages players...
              Rambling thoughts alert:

I mean, I'm not about to argue Monty Williams is a great coach because I don't think he is. The point here is just that he did a damn good job with an injury riddle team, got to 45 wins in the West and made the playoffs AND still lost his job - meanwhile Casey is here with no injury excuses, a couple more wins in a much, much weaker conference, and the main defense for keep him seems to be that they won some regular season games and the roster isn't that good.

If the roster is the reason for the sub .500 nosedive and the playoff sweep, what's the reason for being top 10 at both ends of the floor for a couple months last year? What's the reason for being within a shot of the second round last year? What's the reason for franchise record wins? Isn't that also the roster?

It seems like an argument that's trying to have it both ways, defending Casey like this. Out of one side of the mouth - he didn't do that bad of a job, they won a lot of regular season games, a couple of division banners, and made the playoffs. Out of the other side of the mouth - extended periods of sub .500 play, a bottom third defense, and getting swept out of the playoffs - well that's because the roster is bad, not really Casey's fault. Conclusion: any positives out of the last two years are because Casey did a decent job. Any negatives are because the roster is bad.

I don't believe that for a second, because I watched the games. We discussed basic coaching issues ad nauseum all year long, and in my opinion many of them proved true in the playoffs and the exit interviews. This roster needs to be better, but I'm not happy with the coaching at all.
              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

MU is reverse stacking the HC position. Fire Casey and the assistant is just as bad. #FireMU

Comment

Yeah..wow his a real quality coach,is this franchise ever gonna get serious and dish out the money and get championship caliber coach,whoopee, blah...if Tom Thibodeau get's let go by bull's(which would b stupid) I go get him,maybe his not won championship,but his on the cusp,just needs the support from ownership and some elite players. Bull's had one,but he always is injured,still did fantastic job..Great Defensive Coach,not like fake a@@ coach like Casey.
                  "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
                  My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

Comment

Class act
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Dr Hannibal Lecter wrote: View Post
                        Yeah..wow his a real quality coach,is this franchise ever gonna get serious and dish out the money and get championship caliber coach,whoopee, blah...if Tom Thibodeau get's let go by bull's(which would b stupid) I go get him,maybe his not won championship,but his on the cusp,just needs the support from ownership and some elite players. Bull's had one,but he always is injured,still did fantastic job..Great Defensive Coach,not like fake a@@ coach like Casey.
                        "Go get him" is much easier said than done. We wouldnt be the only team trying to hire him
                        You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

http://newsok.com/report-thunder-tar...rticle/5419963

Yeah...Raps won't get him.
                          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                            Yep, the Thunder job is a way better situation for him. Becoming the #1 Assistant on a title contending team, quickest way back to a head coaching gig. The Raptor's situation is basically, if the ship starts sinking, there's a great chance we'll make you Captain.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                              Yep, the Thunder job is a way better situation for him. Becoming the #1 Assistant on a title contending team, quickest way back to a head coaching gig. The Raptor's situation is basically, if the ship starts sinking, there's a great chance we'll make you Captain.
                              Also, just make you the Captain to go down with the ship (since we'll throw Casey overboard as soon as the boat starts to rock), which might mean he'll be looking for work again in a summer...

Honestly I feel like the situation would be less desirable for potential assistants than potential head coaches (if we had fired lamebrain). Why would you want to come in under a guy who's had 2 different staffs in his tenure? And who's clearly going to be on the hot seat right from the start of the season? Feels like no matter what you'll be a casualty, an innocent bystander, of a shit situation.

A head coaching change would at least mean maybe the new guy feels if he can right the ship, he'll be leading it a while. But again, even a talented assistant would likely just end up screwed by the situation and out of work soon again.

Comment

Day One wrote: View Post
                                this shit right here is so fucking sad, thanks for the perspective. sums up quite a bit about our gm, he dont have the stones to make the big decisions #FIREMU bell and rogers need to step the fuck up, they should emulate molson
                                or he already spoke to coach A, who already told him he wasn't coming to Toronto, so you know, he didn't waste his time.

Comment

Working...
                                X