Taj Gibson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S.R. wrote: View Post
    My first thought was "Taj Gibson? Not a bad Amir replacement." Then I realized Taj Gibson is two years older than Amir Johnson - he's turning 30 this summer. Kind of weird to replace your worn down 28 year old PF with a 30 year old on a brand new contract unless you're in win-now mode, isn't it?
    If we made the trade we would have Taj for two seasons, and I highly doubt he will drop off significantly the next two seasons. Also, while older than Amir, he has played Only 6 NBA seasons to Amir's 10, so Amir definitely has a lot more miles on him. Personally, I think Taj is a little better than Amir both offensively and defensively. Taj is also on a good value contract that isn't too long. I think to resign Amir would cost more years and more money per year for a slightly inferior player. If we want to upgrade the starting PF spot, trading Ross for Gibson seems like the easiest and most realistic way to do so. The next most realistic option is maxing out Monroe, and I'd rather get Taj at a good price while still having money left over to go after a SF.

Comment

Let's see, we are getting a servicable starting PF, and we are giving up what exactly? a useless scrub in Ross, 20 times out of 10 you do it.

Comment

peanutwoozle wrote: View Post
        Let's see, we are getting a servicable starting PF, and we are giving up what exactly? a useless scrub in Ross, 20 times out of 10 you do it.
        Yep, the questions isn't whether we would do it, it's whether Chicago gets a better offer or not. We do this swap for sure if given the option.

Mack North, As far as Taj not being the starting PF on a championship team, is there anyone on our roster that would be a starter on a championship team? I'd peg Taj as a championship team starter before anyone on our roster.
        Last edited by Primer; Tue May 19, 2015, 01:46 PM.

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
          My first thought was "Taj Gibson? Not a bad Amir replacement." Then I realized Taj Gibson is two years older than Amir Johnson - he's turning 30 this summer. Kind of weird to replace your worn down 28 year old PF with a 30 year old on a brand new contract unless you're in win-now mode, isn't it?
          But the main difference between them is Amir came into the NBA at age 18, Taj was 23.
          "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
            I wouldn't be surprised at all if Amir got a deal for greater than $9.5M. With the cap going up, that will be the new range for fringe starters, especially capable big men. If TT is going to get a near max deal then surely Amir's contract will be in the ball park.
            I'm hoping Amir gives the Raptors a hometown/we-know-you're-broken-down discount and comes back in a reserve role/sometimes starter. I have my doubts that Amir is really capable on a night to night basis anymore with heavy minutes. And I think teams would feel the same way.
            Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

If we made the trade we would have Taj for two seasons, and I highly doubt he will drop off significantly the next two seasons. Also, while older than Amir, he has played Only 6 NBA seasons to Amir's 10, so Amir definitely has a lot more miles on him. Personally, I think Taj is a little better than Amir both offensively and defensively. Taj is also on a good value contract that isn't too long. I think to resign Amir would cost more years and more money per year for a slightly inferior player. If we want to upgrade the starting PF spot, trading Ross for Gibson seems like the easiest and most realistic way to do so. The next most realistic option is maxing out Monroe, and I'd rather get Taj at a good price while still having money left over to go after a SF.
              Yeah, I'm not interested in Monroe at all. I suppose my thoughts re: Gibson would hinge on if DD or Lowry gets moved, and for what. If MU keeps Casey and this core (KL/DD/JV) and only adds Gibson-caliber players, I'd find that very underwhelming. If bigger changes are in the works, are they gonna be changes that are going to peak in the next year or two, a timeline that would lineup with a Gibson acquisition? Because if more significant changes mean peaking a couple seasons down the line, then you want to be going after younger players than Gibson.
              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Mess wrote: View Post
                I'm hoping Amir gives the Raptors a hometown/we-know-you're-broken-down discount and comes back in a reserve role/sometimes starter. I have my doubts that Amir is really capable on a night to night basis anymore with heavy minutes. And I think teams would feel the same way.
                I just don't see the role for Amir unless it's undersized backup center, and I'd rather pay Bebe $1M per year to man that spot than $10M to Amir. We're already set at backup PF, and that's exactly where Amir should be at this point in his career. I just don't see any way that it makes sense to bring Amir back. Our starting roster needs change, and Amir is the one starter whose contract is up, and therefore easiest position to make a change.

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                  When people want to acquire Gibson, it is not this year's Gibson, who struggled a lot due to a couple injuries and a less solid spot in the rotation, but last year's Gibson, who was a very good defender. Last year Gibson was a top 10 RPM PF and a top 5 DRPM PF. This year he was well below average, for whatever reasons.
                  And his value dropped so this may be a good oppurtunity. We desperately need help at the 3/4.

Comment

screw all of your advanced stats....my eye test says Taj Gibson helps this team
                    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

If we are running the same style of play than Taj is probably the ideal replacement for Amir, outside of Draymond perhaps. He can do what Amir does defensively (not as well as a fully healthy Amir maybe, but certainly better than a hobbled Amir), and his offence is much better than Amir's. Better shot, better in the post, better dribbler etc. And if all it takes is Ross, than you have to do it IMO, if for no other reason than asset management. All things considered, I would imagine Taj starting here would increase his trade value relative to current value, and Ross has just plummeted here last season and looks disinterested. No brainer move, although I'd imagine it would cost more.

Mack North, As far as Taj not being the starting PF on a championship team, is there anyone on our roster that would be a starter on a championship team? I'd peg Taj as a championship team starter before anyone on our roster.
                      These statements make little sense anyways. Is harrison barnes a starting SF on a championship team? Is Mozgov a starting C on a championship team? Is Mario Chalmers a starting PG on a championship team? The answer of course, is no, until they are actually champions. Taj could be a starting PF on a championship team if the right players surround him. I'm sure the LBJ Cavs with Irving could get him a ring as a starter. Championship teams don't need 5 all-stars starting.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                        If we are running the same style of play than Taj is probably the ideal replacement for Amir, outside of Draymond perhaps. He can do what Amir does defensively (not as well as a fully healthy Amir maybe, but certainly better than a hobbled Amir), and his offence is much better than Amir's. Better shot, better in the post, better dribbler etc. And if all it takes is Ross, than you have to do it IMO, if for no other reason than asset management. All things considered, I would imagine Taj starting here would increase his trade value relative to current value, and Ross has just plummeted here last season and looks disinterested. No brainer move, although I'd imagine it would cost more.

These statements make little sense anyways. Is harrison barnes a starting SF on a championship team? Is Mozgov a starting C on a championship team? Is Mario Chalmers a starting PG on a championship team? The answer of course, is no, until they are actually champions. Taj could be a starting PF on a championship team if the right players surround him. I'm sure the LBJ Cavs with Irving could get him a ring as a starter. Championship teams don't need 5 all-stars starting.
                        That argument is made with a team like the Pistons in mind. Obviously if you have Lebron or Curry on your team you can get away with a couple players not being typical championship calibre starters. But with the Pistons lineup of Billups-Hamilton-Prince-Wallacex2, there really wasn't a weak link. So if we were to get a bunch of players that fit with each other well and Taj was the PF, would he be considered a weak link or would he keep up?

Great modern day example is Atlanta. Teague-Korver-Carroll-Millsap-Horford has no weak link and no superstar.

Comment

Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
                          That argument is made with a team like the Pistons in mind. Obviously if you have Lebron or Curry on your team you can get away with a couple players not being typical championship calibre starters. But with the Pistons lineup of Billups-Hamilton-Prince-Wallacex2, there really wasn't a weak link. So if we were to get a bunch of players that fit with each other well and Taj was the PF, would he be considered a weak link or would he keep up?

Great modern day example is Atlanta. Teague-Korver-Carroll-Millsap-Horford has no weak link and no superstar.
                          Taj wouldn't be a weak link. I think he's just as good as someone like Prince was. The whole key to that Detroit team was defense, everyone had to be a good defender to make that work.

Comment

Working...
                          X