RaptorsRepublic chats with Jack Armstrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RaptorsRepublic chats with Jack Armstrong

Jack offers insights into what comes next.....

Jack: Back then there was a greater sense of urgency as you wanted to hold on to Chris Bosh, and in order to keep a foundational player around, you’ve got to continue building a winning vibe. With all due respect to the guys they currently have on their roster now, there’s not a guy on the roster who’s as good as Chris Bosh. So I think that Masai at the trade deadline knew that this was far from a finished product, and decided to punt rather than go for first down. So I think he said ‘okay, let it breathe, let’s see how this season pans itself out, let’s see how this team performs in the playoffs, and then we’re open to any / all moves that come out’.

I think the approach taken was the right approach. You don’t want to start building on a foundation that you’re not convinced in or don’t believe in yet.

People forget that the assistant GM at the time you mention was Masai Ujiri. So again, he has a pretty good sense of what took place, and he doesn’t want history to repeat itself again. I think he has a pretty good sense of this roster, and as crazy as it sounds, I think what happened against Washington might end up being a blessing in disguise, because it gives you an even greater understanding that this isn’t a group to build on top of. There are some pieces that are good to keep, and there are some pieces that could potentially be hazardous for you.

I think it’s been a great two year run. It’s been a lot of fun. Yes, it was disappointing getting swept by Washington, but when you look at the totality of the two years, it’s time now, based on what you learned from that, to go in a different direction. Does it have to be dramatic? No. But I think you’re going to have a different team next year.
    What pieces are hazardous?? Inquiring minds want to know!

Kiyan: Where are the Raptors in the rebuild process now? Does the playoff sweep mean the Raptors have relapsed further into a rebuild, and does having the all-star game in Toronto next year force Masai to build a good team for next season?

Jack: That’s an interesting question, that I don’t know the answer to. I think the benefit that Masai has is that they’re in the Atlantic Division. So whatever they do, they can still maintain a relatively competitive standing in the division that they’re in.

I’ll say this: Kyle Lowry and DeMar DeRozan are in the primes of their career. This is not a young team. I don’t buy into that whatsoever. Jonas Valanciunas and Terrence Ross are going into their fourth year, they’re the only two guys that are young and even play.

These guys (Lowry and DeMar) are in the prime of their career, I can’t see a rebuild with those two guys. DeMar DeRozan has lost enough in his career, he wants to keep going.

Bottom line is – and I think I’ve said this enough times and I firmly believe it – they need a starting small forward, and they need a starting power forward.
    Thing is the Atlantic is not always going to be a pushover. Boston is only going to get better. Brooklyn actually played well down the stretch after early season tough love from Hollins.

One of DeRozan or Lowry seems inevitable to be traded. How else do you improve or add the pieces to allow improvement through growth and/or free agency?

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2015/...ack-armstrong/

DeRozan's contract could potentially be hazardous in the sense that it lasts only one more year. After that, he would want a very large sum of American dollars to continue in Toronto, given that the spending cap will rise significantly next summer. So as much as I admire the guy and like watching him play (now that he rarely dribbles off his foot anymore) the team in future would be better off by trading him now.
    Last edited by caccia; Tue May 19, 2015, 07:40 AM.

Comment

i don't mind ejecting both lowry and derozan at this point. lowry seems too hard headed and absolutely took no responsibility in being utter shit in the playoffs. derozan still thinks every shot he takes is a kobe shot. either they both have hard-stanced media talking points they need to stick by so they don't screw up like big mouth terrence ross, or are just completely delusional.

Comment

I wonder what DeMar's market range actually is? In today's NBA with the sophisticated stats available, endless tape to view, and scouting reports, DeMar's pluses and minuses are on full view. He would only fit into particular lineups as a max player, in my opinion. Not to say that doesn't mean there won't be GM's willing to spend max money I guess.

I wonder what he can do this summer to improve his game? If the Raps can't have a roster and system in place that can hide his warts and maximize his talents, then they have to trade him, or he has to take less than max.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
          Jack offers insights into what comes next.....

What pieces are hazardous?? Inquiring minds want to know!

Thing is the Atlantic is not always going to be a pushover. Boston is only going to get better. Brooklyn actually played well down the stretch after early season tough love from Hollins.

One of DeRozan or Lowry seems inevitable to be traded. How else do you improve or add the pieces to allow improvement through growth and/or free agency?

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2015/...ack-armstrong/
          JV could maybe get you something decent. JV and DeRozan might be able to get you Jimmy Butler.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
            I wonder what DeMar's market range actually is? In today's NBA with the sophisticated stats available, endless tape to view, and scouting reports, DeMar's pluses and minuses are on full view. He would only fit into particular lineups as a max player, in my opinion. Not to say that doesn't mean there won't be GM's willing to spend max money I guess.

I wonder what he can do this summer to improve his game? If the Raps can't have a roster and system in place that can hide his warts and maximize his talents, then they have to trade him, or he has to take less than max.
            Not everyone in the nba has an especially advanced view of the game - see Phil 'Goink' Jackson, or Byron Scott.
            Last edited by JimiCliff; Tue May 19, 2015, 08:55 AM.
            "Stop eating your sushi."
            "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
            "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
            - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post

I agree - if people are questioning whether or not Deandre Jordan is worth a max, then you bet some people in management would avoid giving DeMar the max. The problem is it only takes one GM dumb/desperate enough to do it, and there probably is one. If DeMar does go into UFA, I could see somebody throwing money at him as their Plan C after whiffing on their first couple of options. GMs will have to spend their money and fill out their rosters by the end of next summer, whether they get their #1 targeted guys or not.
              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Blow it up, I say. Trade quality for quality, not draft picks. When all is said and done I would like to see a team less dependent on isolation plays on offense and more determined on defense.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                  Blow it up, I say. Trade quality for quality, not draft picks. When all is said and done I would like to see a team less dependent on isolation plays on offense and more determined on defense.
                  I'm almost ready for this, but look at how dramatically the team changed with a couple of key moves when Gay and Bargs were shipped out and Casey was brought in after Triano. You swap out a core player, several role players, and (eventually, I hope) the coach, and you're in a completely different situation without having to take a crack at 2-4 straight years of top 10 picks.

Who's left in the playoffs? Houston acquired their two core guys through trade and FA, Atlanta retooled their one-and-done team without bottoming out, Cleveland is not replicable unless Andrew Wiggins becomes a "build my own teams" Lebron clone and has a similar soft spot for is hometown, and the Clippers had more of a typical draft > build path with Griffin and Jordan then the addition of Paul.

So many different ways to build. We always oversimplify, imho. I'm really unsure about free agency acquisitions in the next couple of seasons with so much competition on the open market, I'd put a good amount of hope in Masai's great trade history. 'Melo, Gay, Bargs - he has an above average track record of moving big contracts/core players and getting a very good return.
                  "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                    I agree - if people are questioning whether or not Deandre Jordan is worth a max, then you bet some people in management would avoid giving DeMar the max. The problem is it only takes one GM dumb/desperate enough to do it, and there probably is one. If DeMar does go into UFA, I could see somebody throwing money at him as their Plan C after whiffing on their first couple of options. GMs will have to spend their money and fill out their rosters by the end of next summer, whether they get their #1 targeted guys or not.
                    It's a given that he'll get a hefty pay raise simply because of the market. Virtually every team is going to have a lot of cap room with the new tv deal but not every team will have guys to spend it on. You can absolutely guarantee that the contracts are going to be big across the board with a lot of terrible deals being signed by management teams and owners desperate to show that they are doing something. That's how it has worked in every major North American sport for 30 years. The next step will be when the CBA is re-negotiated and the owners tell us how poor they are....

Comment

I wonder what MU can get for DD and Lowry ?? Can he get a top 8 drat pick ?

My biggest fear is that we move these guys for some late first round picks, some expiring contract with the future flexibility in mind.
                      I fear that MU build another Denver Nuggets here.

Comment

McRealistic wrote: View Post
                        I wonder what MU can get for DD and Lowry ?? Can he get a top 8 drat pick ?

My biggest fear is that we move these guys for some late first round picks, some expiring contract with the future flexibility in mind.
                        I fear that MU build another Denver Nuggets here.
                        That Nuggets teams he built from the Melo trade was actually really damn good. They got screwed by Gallinari getting injured right before the playoffs as he was a key starter. I don't think you should fear becoming the Nuggets post Melo trade. They won 50 games the season Melo was dealt, then went 38-28 in the lockout season, and then got 57 wins in Masai's final season as GM. So they were better than any Raptors team ever every single year after the trade.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                          That Nuggets teams he built from the Melo trade was actually really damn good. They got screwed by Gallinari getting injured right before the playoffs as he was a key starter. I don't think you should fear becoming the Nuggets post Melo trade. They won 50 games the season Melo was dealt, then went 38-28 in the lockout season, and then got 57 wins in Masai's final season as GM. So they were better than any Raptors team ever every single year after the trade.
                          That Nuggets team with their players would have never mount to anything in Western conference except to regular season wins.
                          The Raptor that MU built here won 49 games and could have easily win 50+ wins.

These numbers mean nothing when you can not go far in the play offs.

So yah, I do fear that he builds a Nugget team around questionable talents like Mcgee and some average players like Chandler and Gallinari and Lawson.

Comment

I really like Jacks comments on the age.

This is not a young team and so many hold on to that refrain as reason to stay status quo.

The core of this team right now is JV, DD, and KL. One of those guys need to be moved - and it isn't the guy on a rookie scale deal - otherwise this team is going to be thin with whatever they add with cap space.

Go hard after Tobias Harris and use KL/DD as trade bait to address depth.

Comment

I've decided we need some Kostas Popinikalau in our lives here
                              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Working...
                              X