Everything WNBA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DanH wrote: View Post

Yeah, I mean, you definitely don't watch the WNBA. They play real rough. I'm not actually sure how closely you watch the NBA. Guys get hit like Clark has been getting hit all the time. Heck sometimes guys actually throw punches - which Clark has not actually been on the receiving end of (yet) - she's just taking some hard fouls.

It's really not a bad look. It's bad reporting, sure. People that regularly report on the WNBA have been outspoken about how this isn't really odd. It's the new blood reporters who haven't bothered watching any WNBA prior to Clark that are making this into a whole thing. And absolutely zero people would be making a fuss if an NBA rookie went through similar hits.

From what I can tell watching the hard core WNBA fan and coverage community, the quickest way to tell whether someone has any idea what they are talking about re: the WNBA, is to see if they are upset about this Clark stuff. For the most part it's blowhards, racists, misogynists and the uninformed new folks that are making a fuss. I'm pretty sure it's the latter in here. But not a grouping I'd be eager to lump myself in with.

Seriously, go back, look at the couple of highlights of "cheap shots" posted in this thread, and tell me you would be raising a fuss over this if an NBA player had those plays happen to them. Not a chance. You'd be pissed at the refs for missing a call if they didn't call it, but that would be the end of it.
    this post and particularly the bolded part of it is completely outrageous and you know it... there are definitely blowhards in here too.

sometimes i might even be one of them

Comment

The Caitlin Clark effect.

Mamba Mentality

Comment

So they keep fumbling the bag huh?

Mamba Mentality

Comment

Clark's not good enough to make the team right now, I think is the bigger factor.

If they are building the team to draw viewers, then I can see the argument for her to be on the team. If they are building the team to win, right now? No reason for her to make it. I don't even think she's first on the list of snubs.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Clark's not good enough to make the team right now, I think is the bigger factor.

If they are building the team to draw viewers, then I can see the argument for her to be on the team. If they are building the team to win, right now? No reason for her to make it. I don't even think she's first on the list of snubs.
            What?

The USA women's basketball team is better than everybody else. They've won 7 straight gold medals. If they took the best player on the team(Wilson?) and replaced her with the worst player in the league, they would still be a massive favorite to win the whole thing.

It's another missed opportunity to grow the game.

Who do you take out? who cares? by the way, Taurasi is 42 years old. FORTY TWO. And has won 6 gold medals. Why is she on the team?
            Mamba Mentality

Comment

The Great One wrote: View Post

What?

The USA women's basketball team is better than everybody else. They've won 7 straight gold medals. If they took the best player on the team(Wilson?) and replaced her with the worst player in the league, they would still be a massive favorite to win the whole thing.

It's another missed opportunity to grow the game.

Who do you take out? who cares? by the way, Taurasi is 42 years old. FORTY TWO. And has won 6 gold medals. Why is she on the team?
              So you agree, they brought the best players, as they should.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

So you agree, they brought the best players, as they should.
                I don't know you tell me. You're the WNBA expert here. Is a 42 year old one of the best players in the league? Is Taurasi better than Clark?

Mamba Mentality

Comment

The Great One wrote: View Post

I don't know you tell me. You're the WNBA expert here. Is a 42 year old one of the best players in the league? Is Taurasi better than Clark?

those numbers are fairly close aside from assists, stocks, and 3%

they are also raw counting stats - most advanced stats favor DT

maybe USAB decided the tiebreaker goes to the 5 time gold medallist widely considered to be the GOAT of her sport?

Comment

Team USA is going to win gold regardless, so what matters after that is growing the women’s game, sponsorships and setting themselves up for the future… and they dropped the ball on that. Even from the POV of getting Clark some experience for next time.

Nobody cares, has cared or will care about Taurasi. Whether it’s her or some other sacrificial lamb, they’ve got to make room for Clark. This is all about business and getting badly needed resources into the system and striking while the iron is hot.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                      Team USA is going to win gold regardless, so what matters after that is growing the women’s game, sponsorships and setting themselves up for the future… and they dropped the ball on that. Even from the POV of getting Clark some experience for next time.

Nobody cares, has cared or will care about Taurasi. Whether it’s her or some other sacrificial lamb, they’ve got to make room for Clark. This is all about business and getting badly needed resources into the system and striking while the iron is hot.
                      Thank you.
                      Mamba Mentality

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post

those numbers are fairly close aside from assists, stocks, and 3%

they are also raw counting stats - most advanced stats favor DT

maybe USAB decided the tiebreaker goes to the 5 time gold medallist widely considered to be the GOAT of her sport?
                        No. They should give it to the girl who's super charging the sport.

Not sure who made the decision to not include Clark on the team but I can't imagine NBC is happy about it. The ratings are going to be bad. Nobody's going to watch it.
                        Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Right. So everyone is saying they have no issue at all with the roster that was put together but think the team should be prioritizing their PR instead. Which is a fine stance to have, but don't act like super confused why they did it.

Actually every public statement from Clark on every one of these ridiculous topics has established one thing very clearly - no one disagrees with the silly narratives flying around more than Clark herself.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                            Right. So everyone is saying they have no issue at all with the roster that was put together but think the team should be prioritizing their PR instead. Which is a fine stance to have, but don't act like super confused why they did it.

Actually every public statement from Clark on every one of these ridiculous topics has established one thing very clearly - no one disagrees with the silly narratives flying around more than Clark herself.
                            I tend to look at pro sports through the business lens, because it's basically all about money and more entertainment than sports these days... it's a multi-billion dollar industry. Combine that with the fact that the women's roster doesn't even matter from a winning standpoint and David Stern would be rolling in his grave right now. WNBA and women's USAB has finally found their MJ and they are doing their best to squander it.

Yes, I am totally confused from a business standpoint.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

I tend to look at pro sports through the business lens, because it's basically all about money and more entertainment than sports these days... it's a multi-billion dollar industry. Combine that with the fact that the women's roster doesn't even matter from a winning standpoint and David Stern would be rolling in his grave right now. WNBA and women's USAB has finally found their MJ and they are doing their best to squander it.

Yes, I am totally confused from a business standpoint.
                              That's fine.

But there's no reason to be confused. They built the team the way they always do - they have a couple vets who have been there forever and otherwise have brought all the best players.

You can say "I would have built it differently because of business reasons" sure. But I'm 100% certain you fully understand the reasoning why they didn't - they weren't building the team for business reasons. They were building the team the way basically every single team is built - to play the game. Don't pretend that's confusing just because their motivations are not your own.

Yes, MJ definitely didn't end up with much of a career since he didn't play in the Olympics until 1992. If only the Olympics accepted NBA players onto their rosters earlier, then that MJ guy could have had an impact on the league. Now that Clark didn't go in her rookie year, she will definitely never have an MJ level impact on the WNBA.

We as basketball fans should absolutely not be rooting for the business side of the game to be prioritized over the basketball side. Like, especially for international competition?
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

That's fine.

But there's no reason to be confused. They built the team the way they always do - they have a couple vets who have been there forever and otherwise have brought all the best players.

You can say "I would have built it differently because of business reasons" sure. But I'm 100% certain you fully understand the reasoning why they didn't - they weren't building the team for business reasons. They were building the team the way basically every single team is built - to play the game. Don't pretend that's confusing just because their motivations are not your own.

Yes, MJ definitely didn't end up with much of a career since he didn't play in the Olympics until 1992. If only the Olympics accepted NBA players onto their rosters earlier, then that MJ guy could have had an impact on the league. Now that Clark didn't go in her rookie year, she will definitely never have an MJ level impact on the WNBA.

We as basketball fans should absolutely not be rooting for the business side of the game to be prioritized over the basketball side. Like, especially for international competition?
                                Don't act like the last roster spot actually makes one iota of difference... for "basketball reasons". US women's basketball is on a 7 Olympic gold medal winning streak, 70-3 in the history of the program. But it will make a difference for media partners and sponsors. For a sport that now has a chance to stand on their own feet, instead of being reliant on handouts, the business side should've been the priority over non-existent "basketball reasons".

And sure, you can "understand why" people make dumb decisions. But it doesn't make those decisions less dumb.
                                Last edited by golden; Mon Jun 10, 2024, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X