No wrong way to build a team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No wrong way to build a team

Both the Warriors and Rockets are proving that multiple avenues can eventually lead to the championship podium.

Neither method is necessarily preferable over the other.

Golden State has more young, cost-effective talent, but those rising stars will all need to be paid at some point. Houston's group is battle-tested and should be fairly easy to manage from a financial standpoint. But the Rockets had to pay absolute top dollar for Harden, may have missed out on Howard's best years and don't have a ton of prospects coming through the pipeline.

There are pros and cons on either side.

But it's hard to knock the methods given what they ultimately produced: a pair of NBA heavyweights battling for a single ticket to the game's ultimate stage.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...ckets-got-here

Interesting read on the path to the West finals for both teams.

One way or another both teams relied heavily on prospects and picks to get to where they are today.

Houston seems more sustainable but lower ceiling while GS has more potential but cap casualties means they need to capitalize now.

Then GS blows Houston out last night to take a 3-0 lead to support that theory.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I am expecting Masai to do more than a roster tweak this summer.
      Last edited by stretch; Sun May 24, 2015, 02:04 PM.

Comment

In both cases extreme talent evaluation capability and a clear sense of how specific players can fit into the roster seems to be the key. When you know what you are giving up and what you are getting in any trade, and how a given player can contribute down the road on draft night, you can control your destiny.

Easier said than done. I have long been an advocate of spending money on the none player side of the game. Excellent trainers, assistant coaches, Head Coach and scouts etc. can be hired away from other teams. No cap penalty. Excellent practice facility and rehab machines/facilities keep your players in top form. No cap penalty. D League team. No cap penalty. The Raps have done a better than average job in this respect it would appear. They can do better. No cap penalty. And what you pay for excellent staff and facilities is peanuts compared to player salaries.

Comment

The Ellis-Bogut trade was pretty important for the Dubs. I feel like that accomplished several things for the Dubs: put the team firmly in Curry's hands, set up a stealth tank that year that enabled them to keep their protected pick (ended up being Barnes), brought in an amazing defensive anchor in Bogut.

If Masai could do something like that for us, we might yet have a shot without tanking. Trade DeMar, put team in Val's hands, add a two-way 3 or 4. Draft Draymond Green, add strategic mind like Kerr.... Championship.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
            In both cases extreme talent evaluation capability and a clear sense of how specific players can fit into the roster seems to be the key. When you know what you are giving up and what you are getting in any trade, and how a given player can contribute down the road on draft night, you can control your destiny.
            Bingooo ... This is the key. Having the right people in right place to make the right decisions.

Bogut, Iggi trades were amazing trades.
            Green was an amazing pick up from2nd round.
            Same goes with Rocket. Some of the moves they make were ridiculed by fans right here in RR. But they have shown they are able to bounce back from their mistakes and make ore good decision than bad ones.

Sitting Idle and just evaluating and waiting for no talent draft picks to become super stars did not make these teams what they are right now.
            Last edited by McRealistic; Sun May 24, 2015, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
              put team in Val's hands,.
              Big Big Big mistake.

It seems like some fans just like to repeat the same mistake over and over again.

Big Val has not shown anything to us the past 2-3 years that he is a Super Star and can be first option so we " put the team" in his hands.

Listen to the podcast on the first page of RR which clearly discusses the short comings of Big Val.
              As of now, he has shown us potential to be the 3rd option in a very good team. He may get better but I like to see more from him before I start to build around him and put the team in his hands.

This team lacks a star power and lets not just build around another subpar star wanna be.
              Last edited by McRealistic; Sun May 24, 2015, 12:43 PM.

Comment

JV projects to be at least as good as Al Horford. I'll build around that for now over anyone else we have.
                Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                  JV projects to be at least as good as Al Horford. I'll build around that for now over anyone else we have.
                  2 mistakes right here :

1) Projected to be ... by who ? When ? how good these predictions are ?

2) " Anyone else we have now" !!! Who cares what we have now !! We have bunch of role players and 3rd options guys ? Does it mean we have to settle around one of these guys ? NO, it does not. That is the mistake we always do.

The key here is to realize our limitations. To understand what talent we have and understand that we don't have that star that you can build around.

For me, Big Val is a very talented young player who did not grown as much last year but still has the potential to be a 3rd best player in a very good team. Does he have a potential to have a team build around him as the first option and take the team to the NBA finals or even east finals ? No, he does not. He has not shown us anything to support it.

Comment

No wrong way to build a team

Axel wrote: View Post
                    Potential is overrated around these parts. At some point the player needs to show something (can't blame it all on the coach, talent usually makes coaches look better regardless).

JV is a solid player, but I have doubts that he will reach all-star status. He's too scared to shoot the ball. He had tons of opportunities to take 10-18 ft jump shots and almost always turns them down for a more difficult running hook shot. I would like to see more of an inside out game from JV (like Marc and Pau Gasol, Aldridge, Horford, Love, Bosh, Randolph, Cousins, Patterson, Davis, Hawes, Duncan, etc). Dude just clogs the paint. Yet, he's not a dominant enough to control the paint and dunk on everyone like Andre Drummond or Deandre Jordan,

I needed to see more from JV this past season. Can he consistently hit a 18 foot jumpshot or even a corner 3? Seems like a decent shooter and it might actually open up the inside for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by special1; Sun May 24, 2015, 01:39 PM.

Comment

special1 wrote: View Post
                      even a corner 3?

I'm fine with never ever ever ever ever ever ever seeing a corner 3 from Val ever.

Comment

Mindlessness wrote: View Post
                        I'm fine with never ever ever ever ever ever ever seeing a corner 3 from Val ever.
                        I want to see him take a 3 pointer. Has he ever done that?
                        The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Mindlessness wrote: View Post
                          What about my entire post about 10-18 ft shots? I would agree with you if he was a dominant inside presence.....But he's not. He's a +75 percent free throw shooter. He should take the wide open shots that he gets. That's the difference between the other guys I mentioned and JV. He just doesn't seem to feel comfortable taking those open shots. That's on him.

Comment

The Dubs had some incredible luck with those picks. That lineup they drafted with Curry, Thompson, Barnes, Green and Ezeli is a 50-55 win team for sure, and neither of them above 7 and 2 were second rounders. That's making the most of your picks right there. A century could go by before something like that gets repeated.

Comment

007 wrote: View Post
                              I want to see him take a 3 pointer. Has he ever done that?
                              I'd bet he would shoot them at a better clip than our SG

Comment

Working...
                              X