What will be MU's next move?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Is wrote: View Post
    From what I've read from quite a few sources, this is not an exaggeration but in fact, seems very likely. It was one of the things that really sold me on the guy actually being a really great coach. Some team is going to pick him up. I just hope its us.
    I agree. The fact that he has no life outside basketball is a plus--this is exactly the type of coach we need moving forward. Lazy habits and form would be eliminated with Thibs as our coach.

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
      I agree. The fact that he has no life outside basketball is a plus--this is exactly the type of coach we need moving forward. Lazy habits and form would be eliminated with Thibs as our coach.
      More than anything; there would be accountability. Thibs treats all of his players the exact same way and hold them all to the same standards.

I actually really don't like that I have to point that out as a good quality since you'd think a good coach would naturally do this.
      Last edited by Just Is; Fri May 29, 2015, 12:11 PM.
      "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
      "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• Just Is wrote: View Post
        More than anything; there would be accountability. Thibs treats all of his players the exact same way and hold them all to the standards.
        this is a great point, and the #1 reason why i love Thibs. the derek rose - hat story is a perfect example of why Thibs would be the perfect guy to actually turn this thing around.
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• I don't get why so many of you are high on Thibs, he's like a rich man's Casey. He doesn't have an offensive scheme, and taxes his best players too hard. Deng Gibson Noah and Rose are guys that Thibs loved to play, and all of them have injury issues now. I'd rather go for a coach that has an offensive scheme, be it new guy or old vet

Comment

• milesbudokai wrote: View Post
            I don't get why so many of you are high on Thibs, he's like a rich man's Casey. He doesn't have an offensive scheme, and taxes his best players too hard. Deng Gibson Noah and Rose are guys that Thibs loved to play, and all of them have injury issues now. I'd rather go for a coach that has an offensive scheme, be it new guy or old vet
            Those guys might just be injury prone. Don't see any correlation to Thibs' coaching. The only one who really got run into the ground was Deng, but Chicago had terrible wing rotations for most of Thibs' years. And Deng has had injury issues before and after Thibs' stint (as did Noah). I find this narrative one with little evidence to support it.

Comment

• milesbudokai wrote: View Post
              I don't get why so many of you are high on Thibs, he's like a rich man's Casey. He doesn't have an offensive scheme, and taxes his best players too hard. Deng Gibson Noah and Rose are guys that Thibs loved to play, and all of them have injury issues now. I'd rather go for a coach that has an offensive scheme, be it new guy or old vet
              Thibs has the 6th best winning percentage in NBA history for a coach with over 300 games coached. That's why people want him, he's a proven winner.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                Those guys might just be injury prone. Don't see any correlation to Thibs' coaching. The only one who really got run into the ground was Deng, but Chicago had terrible wing rotations for most of Thibs' years. And Deng has had injury issues before and after Thibs' stint (as did Noah). I find this narrative one with little evidence to support it.
                Can't agree more.

Thibs played Deng and Butler a lot but no more than Casey has played DD (37/38 minutes per game) prior to this year.

Did Casey run DeRozan in to the ground hence the injury this year?

Comment

• I also don't agree with the over playing issue with thibs. These players are the peak of human athletics, especially the young ones. Deng is notorious for not complaining and playing through anything which just escalates further injury likelihood.

Comment

• James Harden has stated that he would like to have a PG added to HOU...which clearly killed them in the WCF

Time to ship Lowry to HOU for Popinikalau, Motiejunas, Prigioni 18th pick and 32nd pick....GET IT DONE MASAI!
                    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                      James Harden has stated that he would like to have a PG added to HOU...which clearly killed them in the WCF

Time to ship Lowry to HOU for Popinikalau, Motiejunas, Prigioni 18th pick and 32nd pick....GET IT DONE MASAI!
                      Lol I didn't realize colangelo was still trying to turn the raptors into a Euro team
                      "Bruno?
                      Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                      He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

James Harden has stated that he would like to have a PG added to HOU...which clearly killed them in the WCF

Sounds good - except I'd try to get Jones away from them. Jones, Motie, 18th and 32nd for Lowry. Probably asking too much.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Harden does not want a shoot first, ball dominate, weak defender PG. If anything, he wants a pass first, strong defender PG. Lowry is not what Houston looking for in a PG.

Comment

• McRealistic wrote: View Post
                            Harden does not want a shoot first, ball dominate, weak defender PG. If anything, he wants a pass first, strong defender PG. Lowry is not what Houston looking for in a PG.
                            I doubt he is thinking like that. I think he wants a bigger offensive threat at the 1 so he has more room to operate at the 2. He already has Patrick Beverley if all he wants is a defensive PG.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• An average athlete with an excellent feel for the game, good fundamentals, and terrific maturity, Papanikolaou's profile may not jump off the page on first glance, but his size, defensive prowess, experience and productivity at the highest levels of European basketball make him one of the most intriguing 1990-born international prospects automatically eligible for the 2012 NBA Draft.

Standing 6'8 with a solid frame, Papanikolaou has excellent size for a NBA small forward, though he sees time at both forward spots for the Euroleague champions Olympiacos. He runs the floor with purpose, and is able to play above the rim when he has a head of steam, but is otherwise an average athlete. He isn't explosive from a stand-still and his limited agility makes it difficult for him to create his own shot in one-on-one situations, but his non-stop motor and willingness to initiate contact allow him to make some plays by virtue of his physical tools in the European game.

On the offensive end, Papanikolaou spends most of his time out on the perimeter, even if quite a few of his possessions end at the rim as a result of his off-ball movement. Not a terribly assertive scorer, Papanikolaou functions as a complementary player, seldom forcing the issue and making smart reads playing off his teammates. He's turned the ball over just 30 times so far this year in nearly 1000 minutes, about once for every 40 Euroleague minutes he plays.

Nearly half of Papanikolaou's touches come in spot-up situations according to Synergy Sports Technology, and the lefty has been a sporadic catch and shoot player in recent seasons. He is the definition of a rhythm shooter, seldom making a contested shot or a long jumper that he doesn't simply step into, but he's knocked down 39% of his catch and shoot jumpers this season. Showing a quick release and solid shooting mechanics, he's been a little streaky at times this year, making just 34% of his 3-pointers on the season. Considering how heavily his contributions offensively revolve around this part of his game, he'll need to continue improving his consistency to reach his full potential in the European game or otherwise, but his showing this past weekend at the Final Four was clearly a major and very visible step forward.

Apart from his touches as a spot-up shooter, most of Papanikolaou's shots come right at the rim. He isn't adept at creating his own shot, and is only a decent ball-handler, even if he does occasionally push the ball up the floor himself or beat his man and get to the rim with a straight-line drive. Extremely active off the ball, Papanikolaou proves to be a capable finisher at the rim, using his body well and showing good touch. He struggles to finish over and around athletic shot-blockers, but gets the job done in the paint at this level with timing and smarts, converting 60% of his field goal attempts inside the arc.

Defensively, Papanikolaou is rock solid at the Euroleague level. By no means is he a lock down defender, but he competes every possession, always boxes out, makes some plays in the passing lanes thanks to his anticipation, and does a terrific job pestering his man off the ball. Spending time defending both forward spots, Papaniolaou is better suited to defend the three, as his lack of size and tremendous physical strength can be a challenge for him in the post. His average lateral quickness may render him slightly less effective at the NBA level, but his fundamentals and basketball IQ would surely help him hold his own against better athletes. He's also a solid rebounder, particularly on the offensive end due to his activity level.

One of the most mature and polished players in this year's group of automatically eligible international prospects, Papanikolaou is by no means a glamorous player. He may not be an aggressive enough scorer for certain NBA coaches, but his size, defensive prowess, ability to accept and fill an important role, knack for playing low-mistake basketball, and reputation as a winner at every level he's played at make him one of the most intriguing role-playing prospects available in the second round.
                              From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/#ixzz3bdeUlVUz
                              http://www.draftexpress.com
                              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                                I doubt he is thinking like that. I think he wants a bigger offensive threat at the 1 so he has more room to operate at the 2. He already has Patrick Beverley if all he wants is a defensive PG.
                                I doubt that ... They are already having problem with ball distribution with him and Howard and Howard wants more offensive touches. Harden is just like DD. He wants the ball and he likes to shoot it a lot. Now, that Howard is healthy and wants the ball more, there will already be a competition there. Add to that the personality of Harden and Howard and how there are problems in the locker room with the chemistry, you don't want to add another ball hug with history and huge ego.

I think if they want someone else other than Beverley, Collison would be a much better choice for them.

Comment

Working...
                                X