No announcement yet.

What will be MU's next move?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't think Harden is looking a Beverley 2.0. He wants something different from the point guard spot.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
      I doubt he is thinking like that. I think he wants a bigger offensive threat at the 1 so he has more room to operate at the 2. He already has Patrick Beverley if all he wants is a defensive PG.
      The problem is what PG would want that?

I mean, would anyone believe that they'd get to have the ball in their hands as much as they want/do now playing next to Harden? It's part of the reason Beverley has worked so well for them. It's not easy to find a match. Would a guy like Lowry, Lawson or Dragic even really fit? Would they be happy?

I feel like Houston's best option is trying to find a minor upgrade to Beverley with a good defensive PG who's slightly better offensively. Maybe like a George Hill. Otherwise I feel like maybe a good bench PG/SG is their best option. That's why yesterday I floated the idea of trading Greivis to them.

Greivis...can shoot off the ball and run the offence. Can play next to either Harden or Beverley. Can step up and start with injuries. Doesn't seriously impact their flexibility. Smaller salary makes matching salaries easier in a deal.

I'd dangle Greivis to them trying to get Terrence Jones. Feel like he's the odd man out in the big rotation, especially if they bring back Smith. And that won't help his value, so maybe getting a bench guard like Greivis would be good return for him at this point. I wonder if Houston would be open to this.

*I also wonder if you could get it as a Jones + Papanikolaou return. The only other young piece I think they'd move, partly because the bloated salary they had to pay him to come over from Europe. And also probably their best option to fill salary (without just sending cash instead). **Pap has a team option, and I could see Houston being reluctant to pick it up, but a trade offer could change that tune. I don't know how that appeals to Toronto, but if they aren't looking to mix it up too much in free agency, it doesn't really impact anything too much.
      Last edited by white men can't jump; Sat May 30, 2015, 12:31 PM.

Comment

• My assumption is that Harden wants a PG who can play next to him as a shooter/defender, but can also create for himself and teammates. Beverley is a solid spot up shooter, but someone like Lowry could change dynamics in creating for himself.

Multiple players who can create would actually ease Harden's load and potentially make the team more dangerous.
        http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

• McRealistic wrote: View Post
          Harden does not want a shoot first, ball dominate, weak defender PG. If anything, he wants a pass first, strong defender PG. Lowry is not what Houston looking for in a PG.
          Not so sure of that...besides, Morey was at Lowry's house midnight of free agency (the first one) making a pitch. I think McHale was with him too. Lowry was tempted but Houston was hedging with Carmelo & then Bosh. Clearly there was interest there and they saw a fit.

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
            James Harden has stated that he would like to have a PG added to HOU...which clearly killed them in the WCF

Time to ship Lowry to HOU for Popinikalau, Motiejunas, Prigioni 18th pick and 32nd pick....GET IT DONE MASAI!

18, 32, and one of Jones or Capela would do it for me.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
              Not so sure of that...besides, Morey was at Lowry's house midnight of free agency (the first one) making a pitch. I think McHale was with him too. Lowry was tempted but Houston was hedging with Carmelo & then Bosh. Clearly there was interest there and they saw a fit.
              They saw a fit, but did Lowry?

This is where I think the situation is tough for Houston. If Harden wants a high-caliber PG, say top 10ish or so, are any of those guys really going to be thrilled to go into a situation where they have to play off the ball more? Is there enough ball to go around in the starting lineup?

There are definitely issues in trying to find the right guy to put next to Harden. And that's why I think a bench guy like Greivis could be the right fit for them.

Comment

You might be right ... One thing for sure is that Huston window is now and they will not shy away from getting what they need and giving draft picks for it.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                  They saw a fit, but did Lowry?

This is where I think the situation is tough for Houston. If Harden wants a high-caliber PG, say top 10ish or so, are any of those guys really going to be thrilled to go into a situation where they have to play off the ball more? Is there enough ball to go around in the starting lineup?

There are definitely issues in trying to find the right guy to put next to Harden. And that's why I think a bench guy like Greivis could be the right fit for them.
                  Bold: the article in the link below seems to suggest that Lowry did as well. I think that KL decided to stay because Houston had too many irons in the fire at the time (who knows if MU put a date/decision pressure on him) with wooing Carmelo, Bosh and playing with the Parsons f/a issue.

http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2014/09...-is-coachable/

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                    James Harden has stated that he would like to have a PG added to HOU...which clearly killed them in the WCF

Time to ship Lowry to HOU for Popinikalau, Motiejunas, Prigioni 18th pick and 32nd pick....GET IT DONE MASAI!
                    Not bad, but I like this more:

To Houston: Kyle Lowry
                    To Toronto: Terrence Jones, Corey Brewer, Clint Capela, and Kosta Papanikoloau

Why Houston does it: They finally get themselves a starting caliber PG to take them to true contender status.
                    Why Toronto does it: Even though there would be a huge gap at the staring PG spot, alot of other issues would be addressed. We get ourselves a starting PF replacement in Terrence Jones who I am a huge fan of (think a defensive minded PP), Corey Brewer is the wing defender we wish T Ross was and can hit the 3 relatively well, We get ourselves a very promising looking backup C in Capella (remember how monstrous this guy was in the last HOU-TOR matchup?). To be honest I don't know much about Papanikoloau, but he seems to be a forum favourite on here.

Comment

Bold: the article in the link below seems to suggest that Lowry did as well. I think that KL decided to stay because Houston had too many irons in the fire at the time (who knows if MU put a date/decision pressure on him) with wooing Carmelo, Bosh and playing with the Parsons f/a issue.

http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2014/09...-is-coachable/
                      I don't doubt Lowry saw positives, but the way free agency played out could also turn people off. You know you're not the priority, or at least Lowry did last year. If you're not the priority in free agency, how can you be confident they really think you're the missing piece and will make your comfort on the court a priority as well.

No one wants to be an afterthought or backup plan.

Comment

• GinobilisBaldSpot wrote: View Post
                        Not bad, but I like this more:

To Houston: Kyle Lowry
                        To Toronto: Terrence Jones, Corey Brewer, Clint Capela, and Kosta Papanikoloau

Why Houston does it: They finally get themselves a starting caliber PG to take them to true contender status.
                        Why Toronto does it: Even though there would be a huge gap at the staring PG spot, alot of other issues would be addressed. We get ourselves a starting PF replacement in Terrence Jones who I am a huge fan of (think a defensive minded PP), Corey Brewer is the wing defender we wish T Ross was and can hit the 3 relatively well, We get ourselves a very promising looking backup C in Capella (remember how monstrous this guy was in the last HOU-TOR matchup?). To be honest I don't know much about Papanikoloau, but he seems to be a forum favourite on here.
                        You really think Houston is that dumb?
                        Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                        Because its 2015

Comment

• Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
                          You really think Houston is that dumb?
                          To be completely honest, this was taken from an article on the main page written by Tim W. (here's the link: http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2015/...trade-targets/), so I'd guess you'd have to ask him that. I personally thought it was a good trade.

Comment

• GinobilisBaldSpot wrote: View Post
                            To be completely honest, this was taken from an article on the main page written by Tim W. (here's the link: http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2015/...trade-targets/), so I'd guess you'd have to ask him that. I personally thought it was a good trade.
                            Either way, I don't see them giving up Capela and Terrence Jones for Lowry.
                            Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                            Because its 2015

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                              mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                              Lowry is a top 30 player in the league, back to back years, and he's signed long term at fantastic value. He's also the engine of our team and singlehandedly keeps us relevant. I'm not dealing him for that return. If we keep Lowry were still a playoff team, if we deal him were going to be terrible. Would have to be top 10 pick coming back, plus another useful player minimum. I'm not crazy about Jones, and I wouldn't expect to get much with the 18th and 32nd pick. Capella is interesting potential wise, but still not worth Lowry.

I'd take that return for Derozan. Although I'd prefer a lotto pick for Derozan than a player like Jones.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                                Lowry is a top 30 player in the league, back to back years, and he's signed long term at fantastic value. He's also the engine of our team and singlehandedly keeps us relevant. I'm not dealing him for that return. If we keep Lowry were still a playoff team, if we deal him were going to be terrible. Would have to be top 10 pick coming back, plus another useful player minimum. I'm not crazy about Jones, and I wouldn't expect to get much with the 18th and 32nd pick. Capella is interesting potential wise, but still not worth Lowry.

I'd take that return for Derozan. Although I'd prefer a lotto pick for Derozan than a player like Jones.
                                You're right. He should fetch more.

Problem is the league is full of PGs. Few teams actually looking for one.

It wouldn't be my first choice but if that was the best I could do, I'd pull the trigger.

If the Raptors are a .500 or just below team, which they were for the majority of last season, then I don't think Lowry is going to be a happy camper and is only going to destroy whatever value he does have, in my opinion. Oh, especially with Casey coming back.

Comment

Working...
                                X