X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OldSkoolCool
    replied
    TRex wrote: View Post
    1. The Clippers never tanked?? WOW! That's not true at all. There were a COUPLE of seasons back in the mid 2000's where they rode the treadmill. The Elton Brand/Corey Maggette era. But other than that, they were ALWAYS in the LOTTERY every single year(and i'm talking years and years here, DECADES) before they got Griffin back in 2009.

The Warriors are the same thing. They lucked out back in 2009 when Curry fell to them at 7th( or was it 8th?) i can't remember but whatever. They lucked out again in 2011 when Klay Thompson fell to them at 11th.

2. LAST THING on my mind is championships. You have to be REALISTIC, this team is not going to win a championship anytime soon. What i want is a competitive team. Build a WINNING CULTURE. Change the outsiders perception of the Raptors.
    When potential Free Agents thinks of the Raptors, i want them to think of a team that CARES ABOUT WINNING. Not a team that cares about ping pong balls.
    I will CAPITALIZE every IMPORTANT word to EMPHASIS my POINT

Seriously though the Clippers and Warriors never improved until the drafted well in the lottery. But they still were in the lottery, not like at 20 where we will be as first round cannon fodder.

Even though they didn't go full tank (except for Blake), they still needed some high draft picks to get better, and good drafting

Leave a comment:

• IwishIwasZachLowe
    replied
    Now, the bigger problem maybe management and MLSE. If revenues are strong and profits are growing, they don't need to build a contender. They just need some form of relevance and more Atlantic division banners hanging. Seriously, the Raptors win a playoff round once every 20 years. Think about that level of excellence.

Leave a comment:

• IwishIwasZachLowe
    replied
    4 years? where did you get this number from?
    I think its fair to say a minimal of four years. If we decide to get draft picks this year and next and build them. Best case scenario:

Oklahoma Drafted :
    Durant- 07
    Westbrook-08
    Ibaka-09
    Harden-09

They went to the Finals in 2012.

Leave a comment:

• The Great One
    replied
    I still have a lot to say btw but so many things to do today, video editing, design aghhhhh

Leave a comment:

• The Great One
    replied
    OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    The clippers never tanked...they always rode the treadmill. Same with the Warriors. As so soon as both teams went in on the draft they became pretty good teams.

______

TRex from my impression you seem to want to ride the treadmill, and think that if we consistently make the first round we will all of a sudden get "it" and compete for championships.
    1. The Clippers never tanked?? WOW! That's not true at all. There were a COUPLE of seasons back in the mid 2000's where they rode the treadmill. The Elton Brand/Corey Maggette era. But other than that, they were ALWAYS in the LOTTERY every single year(and i'm talking years and years here, DECADES) before they got Griffin back in 2009.

The Warriors are the same thing. They lucked out back in 2009 when Curry fell to them at 7th( or was it 8th?) i can't remember but whatever. They lucked out again in 2011 when Klay Thompson fell to them at 11th.

2. LAST THING on my mind is championships. You have to be REALISTIC, this team is not going to win a championship anytime soon. What i want is a competitive team. Build a WINNING CULTURE. Change the outsiders perception of the Raptors.
    When potential Free Agents thinks of the Raptors, i want them to think of a team that CARES ABOUT WINNING. Not a team that cares about ping pong balls.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    The clippers never tanked...they always rode the treadmill. Same with the Warriors. As so soon as both teams went in on the draft they became pretty good teams.

______

TRex from my impression you seem to want to ride the treadmill, and think that if we consistently make the first round we will all of a sudden get "it" and compete for championships.
    Warriors didn't really go in on the draft. They got super lucky and hit on 3 picks (Curry, Thompson and Green) that massively outperformed their draft positions (Curry, Thompson & Green) and talent ceilings projections. None of those guys were the so-called top 5 picks or gifted athletes that teams who are proactively trying to tank want to get. Their best 'tank' pick was Festus Ezeli. This is a tribute to their scouting and young player development (Mark Jackson should get credit for instilling confidence in those guys).

In fact, having those young guys quickly develop into starters (plus drafting Barnes) made up mistakes in signing David Lee and trading for Andre Iguodala, who are now massively over-paid bench players. This also illustrates the benefits of quickly developing young players. 3 out of 5 of their starting lineup -Thompson, Green & Barnes are still on rookie contracts this season. Festivus Ezeli, a solid rotation player, is also on a rookie contract. That is ridiculously good drafting and player development without proactively tanking.

Next year will be different when they have to pay Green and Klay's contact extension kicks in. So when Curry's next contract comes around, you could be looking at another OKC situation where they have to break up the team to stay under the cap.

Leave a comment:

• OldSkoolCool
    replied
    I said decades not a decade.

I can give you one. The Clippers.

I can give you one more. Warriors.

______

Leave a comment:

• CalgaryRapsFan
    replied
    Give me the name of one team that has been rebuilding for a decade?

Most teams try to win and field a mediocre team to try and make the playoffs and miss yearly, or are first round cannon fodder (like the Raptors)
    1. As has been pointed out in multiple threads lately, the Raptors have several factors creating a bit of a 'perfect storm' for a quick 1-2 year rebuild, should MU decide to go in that direction (and he's publically stated the possibility of taking a step back next season, to take bigger step forward in the near future). It's not entirely random, or without strategic purpose.

2. People need to remember that the strategy (rebuild) and the execution (good management) are mutually exclusive. Implementing a sound strategy with the pieces in place to make it a successful strategy, can still come undone thanks to mismanagement. If you believe in MU's ability to 'win' trades, evaluate talent and draft well, then you should have confidence in his ability to execute a quick rebuild turnaround (ie: he's not Philadelphia or Sacramento or the 80's/90's Clippers).

Leave a comment:

• The Great One
    replied

Most teams try to win and field a mediocre team to try and make the playoffs and miss yearly, or are first round cannon fodder (like the Raptors)
    I said decades not a decade.

I can give you one. The Clippers.

I can give you one more. Warriors.
    Last edited by The Great One; Mon Jun 1, 2015, 05:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• OldSkoolCool
    replied
    A rebuild sometimes takes a year(if you're lucky) sometimes 2 years, sometimes 5 years. Sometimes DECADES. There is NO timeframe.

Leave a comment:

• The Great One
    replied
    A rebuild sometimes takes a year(if you're lucky) sometimes 2 years, sometimes 5 years. Sometimes DECADES. There is NO timeframe.

Leave a comment:

• thead
    replied
    we need to go the ten deep mid 2000s Pistons route and that's the end of the discussion. Kevin Durant is not playing here and any superstar we draft is out the door in year 7 or 8....

there I said it.

Leave a comment:

• The Great One
    replied
    IwishIwasZachLowe wrote: View Post
    Therefore, I am willing to wait 4 years for the Raptors to be a CONTENDER. Not an average, mediocre NBA team.
    4 years? where did you get this number from?

Leave a comment:

• Mess
    replied
    IwishIwasZachLowe wrote: View Post
    Therefore, I am willing to wait 4 years for the Raptors to be a CONTENDER. Not an average, mediocre NBA team.
    What about 8-12 years?

Leave a comment:

• IwishIwasZachLowe
    replied
    mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    A very real possibility.

But if it does happen?

You start over again.... likely with a new GM.

The process wasn't wrong, the decisions were.

The fear of failure is a guarantee to never achieve success.
    In life, risks are necessary, without them you will be a 1st round exit team every year. Who wants that?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X