No announcement yet.

Rebuild ... What does it really mean ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We must analyze the state of the Eastern Conference before we begin to analyze the Raptors future.

Atlanta: With multiple all stars, the coach of the year, and one of the cheapest rosters in the league, The Hawks are in line to sign their own free agents and continue to build on a fantastic 2015 season. Their core players, Teague, 27, Harford, 30 Millsap, 30 and Carroll 30 are all in the prime of their careers and Atlanta has the cap space to keep all of them financially happy. Long term Picture: Atlanta should wreck havoc in the East for 3-5 years to come.

Cleveland: Has more question marks with the likes of Lebron’s and Love’s future, both have player options and can opt out at the end of the year. But, this would financially be a poor decision as both of them can receive an upgraded max contract at the end of 2016 when the salary cap is expected to dramatically increase. Kyrie Irving is locked up long term and keeping Lebron is a course a must, he claims he will retire in Cleveland and I believe him, because it would be a PR nightmare if he bails on his home state again. They may have problems keeping Tristan Thompson due to his superb play in this years playoffs granting him a much deserved salary increase in the upcoming years. Either way, the core of Lebron and Kyrie creates a top 2 team in the East for years to come.
    Long term picture: Cleveland should replicate their 2015 season success for the next 5 years in the East, with or without Kevin Love in their lineup. They will have to add a player of Love’s talents if he leaves, but won’t be a problem because who doesn’t want to play with Lebron and have a chance at a title year after year.

Chicago: The Bulls have much more turmoil and question marks than both the Hawks and Cavaliers do. They must re sign Jimmy Butler and find a coach who can maintain their strong defensive play while improving their offensive performance. Gasol and Noah could leave after next season, as Gasol has a player option and Noah’s contract expires. Can Derrick Rose maintain his health as well, without Rose a championship seems out of the question. They seem to have a tight nit group and with the steady rise of Mirotic and Gibson, and young additions like Snell and McDermott, the Bulls will have enough to be competitive for years to come.
    Long term picture: The Bulls window to win a championship is in the next two years. With the aging core players of Gasol and Noah and Rose’s health issues, this will be a boom or bust team within the next couple of seasons.

Washington: Yes, I put Washington ahead of the Raptors not only because they demolished Toronto in the first round but their core players are younger. Beal, 21, Wall, 25, and Porter, 21. Gortat is locked up until 2019 and they have a sense of stability with these four players. John Wall is one of the game’s best point guards already, and Beal showed how tough he is to stop in this year’s playoffs. Porter gave Derozan all he can handle and with a couple additions and more consistent play, the Wizards could the East’s best team in a couple of years.
    Long term picture: If they retain Beal and Porter continues to grow, the Wizards will be competitive for a long time in the East.

So there are currently 4 better teams than the Raptors and one can predict that both Indiana, with Paul George, and the Heat, with Chris Bosh will have better seasons next year. Also, the young Bucks and Celtics will only become better and more experienced with time.

Comment

• Therefore, I am willing to wait 4 years for the Raptors to be a CONTENDER. Not an average, mediocre NBA team.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
        A very real possibility.

But if it does happen?

You start over again.... likely with a new GM.

The process wasn't wrong, the decisions were.

The fear of failure is a guarantee to never achieve success.
        In life, risks are necessary, without them you will be a 1st round exit team every year. Who wants that?

Comment

• IwishIwasZachLowe wrote: View Post
          Therefore, I am willing to wait 4 years for the Raptors to be a CONTENDER. Not an average, mediocre NBA team.
          What about 8-12 years?
          Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• IwishIwasZachLowe wrote: View Post
            Therefore, I am willing to wait 4 years for the Raptors to be a CONTENDER. Not an average, mediocre NBA team.
            4 years? where did you get this number from?
            Mamba Mentality

Comment

• we need to go the ten deep mid 2000s Pistons route and that's the end of the discussion. Kevin Durant is not playing here and any superstar we draft is out the door in year 7 or 8....

there I said it.
              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• A rebuild sometimes takes a year(if you're lucky) sometimes 2 years, sometimes 5 years. Sometimes DECADES. There is NO timeframe.
                Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                  A rebuild sometimes takes a year(if you're lucky) sometimes 2 years, sometimes 5 years. Sometimes DECADES. There is NO timeframe.
                  Give me the name of one team that has been rebuilding for a decade?

Most teams try to win and field a mediocre team to try and make the playoffs and miss yearly, or are first round cannon fodder (like the Raptors)

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post

Most teams try to win and field a mediocre team to try and make the playoffs and miss yearly, or are first round cannon fodder (like the Raptors)
                    I said decades not a decade.

I can give you one. The Clippers.

I can give you one more. Warriors.
                    Last edited by The Great One; Mon Jun 1, 2015, 05:04 PM.
                    Mamba Mentality

Comment

1. As has been pointed out in multiple threads lately, the Raptors have several factors creating a bit of a 'perfect storm' for a quick 1-2 year rebuild, should MU decide to go in that direction (and he's publically stated the possibility of taking a step back next season, to take bigger step forward in the near future). It's not entirely random, or without strategic purpose.

2. People need to remember that the strategy (rebuild) and the execution (good management) are mutually exclusive. Implementing a sound strategy with the pieces in place to make it a successful strategy, can still come undone thanks to mismanagement. If you believe in MU's ability to 'win' trades, evaluate talent and draft well, then you should have confidence in his ability to execute a quick rebuild turnaround (ie: he's not Philadelphia or Sacramento or the 80's/90's Clippers).

Comment

I said decades not a decade.

I can give you one. The Clippers.

I can give you one more. Warriors.
                        The clippers never tanked...they always rode the treadmill. Same with the Warriors. As so soon as both teams went in on the draft they became pretty good teams.

______

TRex from my impression you seem to want to ride the treadmill, and think that if we consistently make the first round we will all of a sudden get "it" and compete for championships.

Comment

The clippers never tanked...they always rode the treadmill. Same with the Warriors. As so soon as both teams went in on the draft they became pretty good teams.

______

TRex from my impression you seem to want to ride the treadmill, and think that if we consistently make the first round we will all of a sudden get "it" and compete for championships.
                          Warriors didn't really go in on the draft. They got super lucky and hit on 3 picks (Curry, Thompson and Green) that massively outperformed their draft positions (Curry, Thompson & Green) and talent ceilings projections. None of those guys were the so-called top 5 picks or gifted athletes that teams who are proactively trying to tank want to get. Their best 'tank' pick was Festus Ezeli. This is a tribute to their scouting and young player development (Mark Jackson should get credit for instilling confidence in those guys).

In fact, having those young guys quickly develop into starters (plus drafting Barnes) made up mistakes in signing David Lee and trading for Andre Iguodala, who are now massively over-paid bench players. This also illustrates the benefits of quickly developing young players. 3 out of 5 of their starting lineup -Thompson, Green & Barnes are still on rookie contracts this season. Festivus Ezeli, a solid rotation player, is also on a rookie contract. That is ridiculously good drafting and player development without proactively tanking.

Next year will be different when they have to pay Green and Klay's contact extension kicks in. So when Curry's next contract comes around, you could be looking at another OKC situation where they have to break up the team to stay under the cap.

Comment

______

1. The Clippers never tanked?? WOW! That's not true at all. There were a COUPLE of seasons back in the mid 2000's where they rode the treadmill. The Elton Brand/Corey Maggette era. But other than that, they were ALWAYS in the LOTTERY every single year(and i'm talking years and years here, DECADES) before they got Griffin back in 2009.

The Warriors are the same thing. They lucked out back in 2009 when Curry fell to them at 7th( or was it 8th?) i can't remember but whatever. They lucked out again in 2011 when Klay Thompson fell to them at 11th.

2. LAST THING on my mind is championships. You have to be REALISTIC, this team is not going to win a championship anytime soon. What i want is a competitive team. Build a WINNING CULTURE. Change the outsiders perception of the Raptors.
                            When potential Free Agents thinks of the Raptors, i want them to think of a team that CARES ABOUT WINNING. Not a team that cares about ping pong balls.
                            Mamba Mentality

Comment

• I still have a lot to say btw but so many things to do today, video editing, design aghhhhh
                              Mamba Mentality

Comment

4 years? where did you get this number from?
                                I think its fair to say a minimal of four years. If we decide to get draft picks this year and next and build them. Best case scenario:

Oklahoma Drafted :
                                Durant- 07
                                Westbrook-08
                                Ibaka-09
                                Harden-09

They went to the Finals in 2012.

Comment

Working...
                                X