Why????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axel wrote: View Post
    I think the answer is in every thread over the last few years.

This is such a troll thread.
    Not at all. It's a fair question to ask when there are multiple threads all saying the same thing, to dump KL and DD .....

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
      blocks do not necessarily equal good defense
      Lol - It helps though!

Is JV a good defender?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

danno wrote: View Post
        Not at all. It's a fair question to ask when there are multiple threads all saying the same thing, to dump KL and DD .....
        If there are multiple threads saying it already then what is the point of this thread if not to repeat the same arguments?
        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

If there are multiple threads saying it already then what is the point of this thread if not to repeat the same arguments?
          Sometimes people can't see the forest for the trees, sometimes the obvious needs to be stated.

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
            Because JV is a "young" player with a lot of "potential"

Raptors fans loves "potential" and "young players" and "draft picks" they all think of their young players/draft picks as future stars or all stars.

Once they realized that JV is no star, and he is no star, you can quote me on that(he's an NBA starter but not a star). They're going to turn on him real quick. Just like how they turned on Bargnani and now Ross.

I was right about Bargnani, i was right about Graham, i was definitely right about Ross(right guys?!) and i'm pretty confident about this one.

I'm going to give it 2 years.
            Spot on

I wasnt right on Baragnani not going to lie but i said from day 1 ross will never be a star and i think JV will be a 1 or 2 time all star at best
            Last edited by Abbas; Sat May 30, 2015, 07:10 PM.
            Abbas wrote:

First of all i was my own source

Comment

I think the answer is in every thread over the last few years.

This is such a troll thread.
              Bull poop.

This is a valid thread. I guess you only want to talk about Demar and Kyle everyday??

This just comes back to the OP. JV is off-limits for whatever reason. Anyone who has anything to write about JV (other than he's awesome) is now trolling? Ridiculous.

Comment

special1 wrote: View Post
                Bull poop.

This is a valid thread. I guess you only want to talk about Demar and Kyle everyday??

This just comes back to the OP. JV is off-limits for whatever reason. Anyone who has anything to write about JV (other than he's awesome) is now trolling? Ridiculous.

Thank you!

Comment

JV can do no wrong around here. Anytime someone points out the obvious, posters pull out a bunch of advanced stats showing why he's a superstar in the making.

No one says anything about him being 34th in blocks per game.....behind such awesome players as Ed Davis (#31), Steven Adams (#29), Alex Len (#20), Mozgov (#33)....Drummond was 8th.

He's 26th in total blocks behind those same players (Drummond was 5th).....except Steven Adams (#30).

The problem I have with JV is that our guards couldn't keep anyone in front of them..... There were a lot of opportunities for him to have more blocks.

Somehow he gets a pass around here. He's the last line of defence and nobody was scared to drive to the rim against him. How many layups did you see get by him (he was always a split second too late). It's always everyone else's fault...The sad part is TRex is right. If he doesn't improve and fast.....Watch the fans turn on him within the next couple years.

I'm not sure why I'm even bothering, but here goes...

1. Blocks alone are not an indicator of good defense. Like steals, you can cheat on rotations and get more blocks. Brook Lopez and Pau Gasol were two players who racked up blocks this year while not playing good defense.
                  2. Even if we were to use blocks as a proxy for good D, using per game and total blocks ignores the fact that players who get more minutes get more blocks. Block % is the best metric for seeing how many blocks someone gets.
                  3. This year, Jonas had a better block % than Joakim Noah, Tyson Chandler, and Dwight Howard, who have won 5 of the last 7 Defensive Player of the Year awards.
                  4. Jonas has been instructed by the coaching staff to go straight up to employ verticality like Roy Hibbert. This has reduced his block % since his rookie season but has also helped bring his fouls per 36 down. His block % actually improved this year over his sophomore year as he learned when to challenge and when not to.
                  5. You argue that our guards can't keep anyone in front of them and then say he was always a split second too late... How exactly is someone supposed to defend two guys at once? Because that's what happens without perimeter containment. Apparently we were last in the league in Keep-in-Front % per Vantage Sports... That puts all the pressure on our bigs inside.

I'm not saying JV is a great defender, he obviously needs a lot of work, but the reason people use advanced stats is because people who use basic stats like you did end up missing what's really going on on the floor. That's why advanced stats came about in the first place.

Comment

Why are so many on here so critical of KL and DD, but JV is talked about as the next great Center in the NBA? The Raps set a team record for wins , in consecutive seasons, and did it on the backs of the 2 guys that most of you want to ship out of town! And JV has proven very little to date other than he is not quick enough and not strong enough to go up against the other centers in the league. He was schooled by Gortat in the playoffs.

Just seems funny to throw KL and DD under the bus while giving JV a free pass ...
                    Bull poop.

Why do people post about trading KL? Well they generally state why in the very posts you're referring to.

Why do people post about trading Demar? Same thing plus the wealth of posts in the Everything Demar thread.

Why do people have hope for JV? Read the "JV Comparables in the Modern NBA" and "JV offence" thread for that.

Why do people not hold JV as accountable for the team's playoff performance? Cause DD and KL were the leaders of this team. DD was on the court almost all of every game. They took the shots, led the locker room and generally controlled the fate of the team.

Flame thread at best.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Why do people post about trading KL? Well they generally state why in the very posts you're referring to.

Why do people post about trading Demar? Same thing plus the wealth of posts in the Everything Demar thread.

Why do people have hope for JV? Read the "JV Comparables in the Modern NBA" and "JV offence" thread for that.

Why do people not hold JV as accountable for the team's playoff performance? Cause DD and KL were the leaders of this team. DD was on the court almost all of every game. They took the shots, led the locker room and generally controlled the fate of the team.

Flame thread at best.
                      So stop posting in it then ...

Comment

Abbas wrote: View Post
                        Spot on

I wasnt right on Baragnani not going to lie but i said from day 1 ross will never be a star and i think JV will be a 1 or 2 time all star at best
                        Fair expectation. A lot depends on the next couple years though.

Comment

So stop posting in it then ...
                          Lol

Comment

Why????

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                            I'm not sure why I'm even bothering, but here goes...

1. Blocks alone are not an indicator of good defense. Like steals, you can cheat on rotations and get more blocks. Brook Lopez and Pau Gasol were two players who racked up blocks this year while not playing good defense.
                            2. Even if we were to use blocks as a proxy for good D, using per game and total blocks ignores the fact that players who get more minutes get more blocks. Block % is the best metric for seeing how many blocks someone gets.
                            3. This year, Jonas had a better block % than Joakim Noah, Tyson Chandler, and Dwight Howard, who have won 5 of the last 7 Defensive Player of the Year awards.
                            4. Jonas has been instructed by the coaching staff to go straight up to employ verticality like Roy Hibbert. This has reduced his block % since his rookie season but has also helped bring his fouls per 36 down. His block % actually improved this year over his sophomore year as he learned when to challenge and when not to.
                            5. You argue that our guards can't keep anyone in front of them and then say he was always a split second too late... How exactly is someone supposed to defend two guys at once? Because that's what happens without perimeter containment. Apparently we were last in the league in Keep-in-Front % per Vantage Sports... That puts all the pressure on our bigs inside.

I'm not saying JV is a great defender, he obviously needs a lot of work, but the reason people use advanced stats is because people who use basic stats like you did end up missing what's really going on on the floor. That's why advanced stats came about in the first place.
                            I really don't know why you bothered.

Same stuff I was expecting. Excuses. Same during Bargnani's heyday.

You bring up Hibbert and the verticality. That would make some sense if Hibbert wasn't #18 in RPG and #13 in total rebounds in LESS minutes than JV. Matter fact, plenty of those guys ahead of JV play less minutes than JV. Like I said, I knew the excuses would start coming.

Pretty soon I'm gonna hear that actual blocks aren't important..... Block percentages are far more important. Lol....Oldskool says that blocks don't equal good defence. Do blocks even help the defence anymore? No one knows.....Has anyone admitted that JV is a bad defender? That's a starting point. Like why does our defence improve dramatically when he's off the floor? That's a problem moving forward.

I use my eyes to see what's happening on the floor and take advanced stats within context. I don't think I'm missing anything... Maybe you're missing something (the bad defence). For example.... Dwight Howard is a better rim protected than JV and I think Tyson Chandler is as well. Are you saying that they are not? Does the advanced stats say they are not?

Last edited by special1; Sat May 30, 2015, 08:42 PM.

Comment

You guys all need really long back massages.

Comment

I really don't know why you bothered.

Same stuff I was expecting. Excuses. Same during Bargnani's heyday.

You bring up Hibbert and the verticality. That would make some sense if Hibbert wasn't #18 in RPG and #13 in total rebounds in LESS minutes than JV. Matter fact, plenty of those guys ahead of JV play less minutes than JV. Like I said, I knew the excuses would start coming.

Pretty soon I'm gonna hear that actual blocks aren't important..... Block percentages are far more important. Lol....Oldskool says that blocks don't equal good defence. Do blocks even help the defence anymore? No one knows.....Has anyone admitted that JV is a bad defender? That's a starting point. Like why does our defence improve dramatically when he's off the floor? That's a problem moving forward.

I use my eyes to see what's happening on the floor and take advanced stats within context. I don't think I'm missing anything... Maybe you're missing something (the bad defence). For example.... Dwight Howard is a better rim protected than JV and I think Tyson Chandler is as well. Are you saying that they are not? Does the advanced stats say they are not?

Last year JV was a bad defender. This year I would argue he is above average considering the position he was put in.

He has shown enough that in a system like Portlands, he could be a game changer defensively.

For example, I distinctly remember a houston game where Harden was 1/4 at the rim with JV on the floor and 7/9 with him off (in less PT) (can't remember exacts). That sort of stuff isn't counted in the box score.

Comment

Working...
                                X