Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who has more value on the open market? DD or JV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has more value on the open market? DD or JV?

Talking 2016 free agency here. Valanciunas will be a restricted free agent eligible to make up to 25% of the cap, DeRozan will be an unrestricted free agent eligible to make up to 30% of the cap.

Because of his situation, I'd be surprised if the Raptors get Valanciunas to sign an extension this offseason (however if they can, even if it's for the max, they should). So I think both guys will at least test free agency.

I'm thinking JV would actually end up being the higher paid of the two despite DeRozan having the higher contract ceiling. Considering his age, superior advanced stats and the fact that centers tend to get larger contracts than bigs, and teams try to price out restricted free agents all the time.

Thoughts on this? I realize I'm kind of pitting them against each other here which is a little counter-intuitive to my previous thread. But it is work discussing the fact that Val could also very easily be earning 20M per season starting in 2016-17.

Ross is also a free agent for the record, but decided not to include him in this... cause well... unless some drastic changes occur he's not getting 8 figures a year.

Comment

Val in my opinion is worth more, but a team will be dumb enough to offer Demar a much higher contract than Val

Comment

Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
        Val in my opinion is worth more, but a team will be dumb enough to offer Demar a much higher contract than Val
        I disagree tbh. Valanciunas is going to be a 24 year old center in free agency, and teams know they will have to overpay to prevent the Raptors from matching. Could see him actually getting a max deal.

Comment

Based on age, potential, contract (amount, status and window of control) and positional scarcity, I'd be willing to bet JV has significantly more value around the league. Plus, if the GS game is any indication, the book is out on DeRozan. However, more than anything else, his opt-out clause and likely desire to cash-in on what is bound to be the biggest contract of his career, would be the biggest hit to his value as a trade asset.

However, in terms of netting the biggest return, it's harder to say. With JV's rookie-scale contract the options are more limited, without adding more salary from the Raptors side, which means it's no longer a head-to-head comparison. DD's contract allows more options to be considered as potential trade returns, so it's likely that DD could return the better haul straight-up.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
            Based on age, potential, contract (amount, status and window of control) and positional scarcity, I'd be willing to bet JV has significantly more value around the league. Plus, if the GS game is any indication, the book is out on DeRozan. However, more than anything else, his opt-out clause and likely desire to cash-in on what is bound to be the biggest contract of his career, would be the biggest hit to his value as a trade asset.

However, in terms of netting the biggest return, it's harder to say. With JV's rookie-scale contract the options are more limited, without adding more salary from the Raptors side, which means it's no longer a head-to-head comparison. DD's contract allows more options to be considered as potential trade returns, so it's likely that DD could return the better haul straight-up.
            Great answer but I wasn't talking about trade value. I meant value in free agency, (i.e. who will be paid more).

Totally agree though on the trade value but that's not what I was going for with the thread, I feel like that's already quite obvious.

Comment

Don't y'all love how Matt Devlin says
              " YOWWWNUSSS!!!"
              Hate to see that go .
              Srsly
              2006-07 NBA Coach of the Year

Comment

JV's contract could be pushed down a bit due to him being a RFA and the Raptors will almost certainly tell everyone they'll match any offer. Similar to what happened to Pekovic and Monroe. So wouldn't be surprised if DD got more, even though JV is more valuable.

Comment

Working...
                X