No announcement yet.

New Assistant Coach rumours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A big problem is a lot of great college coaches don't want to leave their job for the NBA. Better security, coach kids who listen as opposed to millionaire prima donnas
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Does anyone know the whereabouts of Jim Todd? He could replace Tom Izzo in the half-time interview position.

Comment

peanutwoozle wrote: View Post
        Does anyone know the whereabouts of Jim Todd? He could replace Tom Izzo in the half-time interview position.
        Tom Sterner...but yes I agree the most pressing concern is we need a half time crazy interview coach and we need it now
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
          Tom Sterner...but yes I agree the most pressing concern is we need a half time crazy interview coach and we need it now
          whoops. I meant Sterner, and I seem to recall that Todd once called out the players for being cocky, and even used that word.

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
            I'm starting to think the main reason we kept Casey is because Masasi knows of a better coach available next summer, and Casey is the perfect lame duck coach in the mean time. He seems like the kind of guy that will be a company man to the last day, won't rock the boat or start a mutiny like Thibodeau, he'll just keep motivating players and should at least keep chemistry between personnel in order until the day he's out the door.

Ujiris realistic, no dreams of a title next year either. If there's no better choice yet, keep the guy with 1 more year left, sort out the JV/JJ issues with him first, and have a new coach in time for Bruno/Knicks pick 2016-17
            I agree.

I'm very biased on my rebuilding views so I believe my view is a little tainted but whatever here goes:

Kevin Ollie

Highly regarded young coach.
            Knows the NBA.
            Former player.

His buyout next season is $1M from UCONN.

I made a post about the cost of hiring Ollie now is $8M (Casey $4M + $4M buyout) + whatever his salary is.

Next year that is much less.

Coming from university, Ujiri has a young roster ready to grow and learn. He can figure out his first year in the NBA when a higher draft pick is preferable.

*Essentially I'm envisioning a Brad Stevens like situation**

Giving him a 5-6 year contract starting at $5M per year minimum - essentially what every college coach making the jump has been given the last 1-2 years.

There is also the Durant connection but I don't think they go after Ollie solely with the intention of getting Durant. Only reason I bring up Durant is because, while it is a pipe dream, you have to at least try.

Anyways, that is my rebuilding wet dream.

Comment

peanutwoozle wrote: View Post
              Why would the assistants want to come here when they know they will just be a scapegoat.
              It is sure looking like that.

Another reason why I believe this is going to be a transition year.

Comment

Lots of comments on not looking good on Masai which I think is partially true.

Another angle is every knows Casey is a lame duck.

Why sign on to Casey with only having the security of 1 year.

Any new head coach next season is likely to hire his own staff.

And if, miraculously, Casey survives for his team option, then we are back to the whole scapegoat issue.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                  It is sure looking like that.

Another reason why I believe this is going to be a transition year.
                  Yeah, they'll see how the current ac's took the fall for Casey and they can also see that this is the last year of Casey's contract and he's got big question marks past this season (to say the least). What are the odds there's a new hc next season and he brings his own ac's in? The Raps may as well list the ac vacancies as interim positions.
                  "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

yeah i honestly think the main (only) reason Casey is still here is they don't want to pay him the $4 mil PLUS the new coach's salary, like Matt said.

plus it's not like the team itself is a good coach away from being contenders, even in the east. you're lying to yourself if you think otherwise.
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Another aside....

I found it very interesting that Vanterpool and Boylen were named assistant coaches for Canadian National Team.

Those are two guys who are often mentioned as possible next NBA head coaches.

Wouldn't be surprised to see one of them hired next season either.

Comment

I wonder if Casey will resign or if Masai will go back on what he said and fire him. It doesn't look easy for them to get any willing ACs.

Comment

For all these assistant coaches we've apparently missed out on, are they replacing fired assistant coaches?

In all the reports in the major news media about the firings of Brooks, Thibs or Monty, does anyone recall the fate of the assistant coaches mentioned once? I don't.

My point is treating this stuff like it's another futility nail in the incompetence coffin is going a little overboard.
                          Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

phdmac wrote: View Post
                            I have heard from decent sources that Masai didn't back Casey initially because he was interested in getting Thibodeau and after doing background checks throughout the NBA, he didn't get a lot of good feedback about him and then decided to bring Casey back
                            Background checks? What does that mean exactly? Is Thibs a meth addict? A hitman? A pimp?

Comment

Mess wrote: View Post
                              For all these assistant coaches we've apparently missed out on, are they replacing fired assistant coaches?

In all the reports in the major news media about the firings of Brooks, Thibs or Monty, does anyone recall the fate of the assistant coaches mentioned once? I don't.

My point is treating this stuff like it's another futility nail in the incompetence coffin is going a little overboard.
                              I just assumed it was a general assumption that new Head Coach means new assistant coaches.
                              "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                              "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

LMAO

A DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR ...LLOL.
                                Does that means Casey is officially renouncing to the "defensive-minded coach title".??
                                That's actually embarrassing. It's like hiring an offensive coordinator for Mike D'Antoni.

By the way, DC doesn't coach offense; so wth is he going to do ?

Kuh wrote: View Post
                                Looks like we lost out on a new architect of the defense.

The Toronto Raptors recently pursued Boston Celtics coach Darren Erman to become defensive coordinator under Dwane Casey, sources said, but the chance to become associate head coach with Gentry and work with superstar Anthony Davis apparently swayed him.
                                http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources...164205332.html

I'd been thinking that was part of the deal for keeping Casey on: that he had to hire a top notch assistant to run the defense, and that his job would be to be head coach and manage egos more, and let his team more do of the real work.

Comment

Working...
                                X