Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grade My Offseason Transactions for the Raptors (for fun)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grade My Offseason Transactions for the Raptors (for fun)

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to give a perspective of what I think would be the most beneficial and potential moves for the Raptors this off season. Personally, I believe a retooling of our roster and personnel would make us still a competitive team and possible contenders. No, I don't think they are going to make these moves but it is something i did for fun and something to consider. Let me know what you think.

Offseason moves:
    +Draft Kevon Looney (PF with great defence potential, offensive spacing, incredible length and size for his position)
    +Trade a future 2nd round pick for George De Paula (Great size and length and potential for his position), if he gets picked, or have him work out for our team if undrafted
    +Sign Gerald Green (More reliable wing shooter and great all around player)
    +Trade Terrence Ross for Nik Stauskas (This works financially too)
    +Trade Kyle Lowry to Houston for Clint Capella + Kostas Papanikolou + future 1st or 2nd round pick (I believe this will work when the new cap increases)
    +Fire Casey
    +Hire new head coach (Mark Price or JVG) someone that will implement a real offensive system
    +Sign Veterans (Vince Carter)

Notes on moves:
    -I've seen most mock drafts and theres a high chance we can get Kevon Looney but if not we can defer to Christian wood which is equally talented PF.
    -I'm sure Casey is a great guy in person but he makes constant bad decisions on the court and getting a new coach that will implement an offensive scheme where our players can get high percentage shots is vital for the success of this franchise.
    -I think its more than probable that Vince Carter comes full circle to the franchise where it all began because he's tried ring chasing in the west and has failed by choosing the wrong teams. Plus, his career is in the twilight and he knows it and personally loves this city. He'd probably come back for free but we should pay him.
    -Houston is looking for a "playmaking" point guard and were interested in getting Lowry back before the All-star break, so it would be more than likely they would want a deal for him (maybe we could even steal their 2nd round for this year for G. Paula)

Final looking roster (age in parenthesis):
    C- JV (23), LN (23), Clint Capella (24)
    F- PP(25), JJ(28), BC(19), Kevon Looney(19), Kostas Papanikolou (24)
    G- DD(25), GV(28), Gerald Green (29), George L. De Paula (19), Nik Stauskas (21), Vince Carter (38)

Notes on roster:
    -I think moving GV up to starting would be a good move because he's good at creating offensive and resembles more of a traditional point guard of passing first, despite his mediocre defence (I think our new bigs size and length can mitigate this problem)
    -Unlimited amount of potential line ups
    -Other than Vince Carter, our roster is extremely young (with GG the oldest 29) and can develop solid chemistry overtime with playing together
    -Incredible size and length for all our positions = defensive juggernaught (Looney has a 7'3+" wing span at PF, Paula has a 7'0+ wing span at PG)
    -This team has better bball IQ with the addition of Vince Carter, Cappella, and minus Casey

I don't think I need to argue for keeping DD but heres my reasons for keeping him on the roster:
    Why keep Derozan?
    -He's incredibly hard-working and works to improve his game every year in the off-season
    -He's got grit and this is a rare quality to find in nba players
    -He's a reliable shooter, just look at his numbers over the years
    -I think with a better coach he can shoot at a higher percentage with a better shot selection
    -Who are we going to get in return that that will equal his talent and effort?

I'd only trade DD for 2x 1st round picks and some young talented player. Otherwise, we should pay him his money, even if its a losing gamble. Anyway those are my thoughts. What moves do you like and what moves don't you like? How else do you guys think we can upgrade roster and still maintain a competitive spirit? What other players are available and in reality we can potentially acquire in the off-season (No fantasy moves)? What am i missing?
    Last edited by BS10; Fri Jun 5, 2015, 08:06 PM.
    #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

i dug it until "sign gerald green" then the wheels came off
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

What's wrong with gerald green? i think he's super talented, great defence, athletic, and solid shooter and a guy like vince can transform his game into a more consistent one.
      #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

He's been in the league 7 years now i think he is what he is
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I think he's landed into a bunch of unfortunate situations and has been under-utilized for the teams he's been on. You can say the same thing about James Johnson, until he landed in Toronto for the 2nd time, and now most fans really appreciate James and understand his value. He's been a bright light for us, despite his lack of play.
          Last edited by BS10; Thu Jun 4, 2015, 11:13 PM.
          #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

I dig the draft picks and firing Casey. The rest of the moves I'd pass on. Not opposed to trading Ross or Lowry, but I think there's a better return out there than either of the trades you suggest.

Comment

BS10 wrote: View Post
              What's wrong with gerald green? i think he's super talented, great defence, athletic, and solid shooter and a guy like vince can transform his game into a more consistent one.
              He's a selfish player and total chucker. He's Nick Young with an even bigger sense of entitlement. No thank you.

And Carter's not a free agent. So you'd have to trade with Memphis, which totally changes everything. He's not worth it either way at this point. Not worth trading assets for, and he'll probably retire when his contract is done. The window to bring Vince back was last summer. That passed and now it's basically a thing where I think you only consider it post-retirement in some other role.

I'm down with...
              -Drafting Looney
              -Trying to get a later pick for Paula (might be able to flat out buy one instead of trading a future 2nd)
              -The Lowry to Houston trade...but I'd want more draft picks. Would have to get at least one first, and I might get greedy and want Terrence Jones thrown in.
              -Firing Casey (seems that's unlikely at this point)

Indifferent on the Ross/Stauskas move. And I would have a hard time choosing a new coach no matter what...JVG is not good at developing offensive strategies though...just wanted to point that out.

Still probably not my ideal offseason moves though. Think we can get a better overall deal for Lowry (and don't think HOU would trade Capela). And don't see the need to add vets.

Comment

I like your offseason, Green as a role player isn't a bad bet and all the other moves improve the team outside the only part I disagree with, trading Lowry.

my offseason would look a little different

Draft Kevon Looney or Christian Wood at #20
                Re-sign Lou Williams
                3 team deal with Den & Mem; Ross, Vasquez and future 1st (20's) + Udrich & mem 1st (20's) to Den, Chandler & Jameer Nelson to Memphis, Faried & VC to Toronto
                Sign Tobias Harris, Bismack Biyombo & Cory Joseph in FA
                *Fire Casey

C- JV, Bismack, Bebe
                PF- Faried, PP, Looney/Wood
                SF- Harris, JJ, Bruno
                SG- DD, Lou, VC
                PG- Lowry, Joseph, TBD

Comment

It's...okay? Maybe a C? There's a lot of lateral moves. Moves that make things better long term, mixed with moves that do nothing, mixed with moves that are only short term benefits.

This is why some people on this board would rather tank. It may be quicker to balance the roster trading major pieces, but vets are more likely to be attracted to teams that have immediate potential for success. If you trade Lowry for long term benefits it makes it highly unlikely that vets will sign here. If that's the case, trading Demar while he has value would also become an option.

The Stauskas for Ross thing is REALLY lateral. If Nik gets better he's still a defensive liability -- which is Ross' biggest issue (well, that and inconsistency).

I disagree with your rationale for firing Casey, but agree with the idea. His biggest issue is that he is slow to adapt to situations. He doesn't make adjustments fast enough. Things that take better coaches minutes take games for him to fix. When selecting a new coach that needs to be a priority. Not the particular system, but a willingness to adapt if the system fails. The defense failed after Demar went down. They never changed the system to fit the available personnel and the team fell apart.

No on Green -- that's already been discussed.

Someone like Carter isn't coming here if you trade an All Star away (Sorry I'm circling back here).

Sorry, not a fan of players like DePaula. I would probably trade Bruno. They're so raw that you are getting them ready for their second contracts -- if you're lucky. This team is built around players who want to win now. As much as I and others diss Ross he doesn't want to take backward steps. Neither does Pat Pat, or GV or any of the 10 rotation players from last season. IF they get the D League team (which is not guaranteed) then MAYBE you keep Bruno, but roster spaces have value and I would rather use the space getting a kid like George Lucas would take up on a vet who can help guys like our draft pick, Deandre Daniels, Bebe and Bruno. Someone who could also, if needed, play solid minutes for the team from the end of the bench.

As it's been covered in other threads -- this is not a young team. It's a poorly built team that lacks balance. Solid vets, who have been well scouted over a longer period of time are a much easier way to inject balance into a roster -- but you have to sell them on the team, unlike tanking where draft picks and kids on rookie contracts have little choice.

REALLY like drafting Looney, sadly size seems to climb in drafts (He probably will be drafted earlier than us), but I hope they bring him Harrell, Wood and Christmas in.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                    He's a selfish player and total chucker. He's Nick Young with an even bigger sense of entitlement. No thank you.

And Carter's not a free agent. So you'd have to trade with Memphis, which totally changes everything. He's not worth it either way at this point. Not worth trading assets for, and he'll probably retire when his contract is done. The window to bring Vince back was last summer. That passed and now it's basically a thing where I think you only consider it post-retirement in some other role.

I'm down with...
                    -Drafting Looney
                    -Trying to get a later pick for Paula (might be able to flat out buy one instead of trading a future 2nd)
                    -The Lowry to Houston trade...but I'd want more draft picks. Would have to get at least one first, and I might get greedy and want Terrence Jones thrown in.
                    -Firing Casey (seems that's unlikely at this point)

Indifferent on the Ross/Stauskas move. And I would have a hard time choosing a new coach no matter what...JVG is not good at developing offensive strategies though...just wanted to point that out.

Still probably not my ideal offseason moves though. Think we can get a better overall deal for Lowry (and don't think HOU would trade Capela). And don't see the need to add vets.
                    I think Green again has been given a bad situation and the wrong coaching but i'll accept him as not a potential viable signing option. I just think we can get him for cheap and see how fits into the rotation.

I just looked it up and you're right on carter. I didn't know he signed a 3-year deal with the grizz. Yea, i don't think we'll be able to get him either and its not worth it. It would have been nice though, imo.

The firing of casey could still happen. His assistants have been fired and new guys brought in. But if it does happen it'll happen in the early part of the season if the raptors get off a bad start.

Yea, i just wanted a new objective coach for our squad. I can't deal with the favouritism Casey has for players. Its ruined our team, especially the chemistry.
                    #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

octothorp wrote: View Post
                      I dig the draft picks and firing Casey. The rest of the moves I'd pass on. Not opposed to trading Ross or Lowry, but I think there's a better return out there than either of the trades you suggest.
                      Thats fair.
                      #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

RepTdot wrote: View Post
                        I like your offseason, Green as a role player isn't a bad bet and all the other moves improve the team outside the only part I disagree with, trading Lowry.

my offseason would look a little different

Draft Kevon Looney or Christian Wood at #20
                        Re-sign Lou Williams
                        3 team deal with Den & Mem; Ross, Vasquez and future 1st (20's) + Udrich & mem 1st (20's) to Den, Chandler & Jameer Nelson to Memphis, Faried & VC to Toronto
                        Sign Tobias Harris, Bismack Biyombo & Cory Joseph in FA
                        *Fire Casey

C- JV, Bismack, Bebe
                        PF- Faried, PP, Looney/Wood
                        SF- Harris, JJ, Bruno
                        SG- DD, Lou, VC
                        PG- Lowry, Joseph, TBD
                        Interesting moves, I would love to get Joseph but I don't think we could pry him from the Spurs. We would have to over pay cause he's a restricted free agent. I like your starting line up but we'd be lacking any real 3 point shooting or 3 point threat. Maybe you could start PP instead of Faried?
                        #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                          It's...okay? Maybe a C? There's a lot of lateral moves. Moves that make things better long term, mixed with moves that do nothing, mixed with moves that are only short term benefits.

This is why some people on this board would rather tank. It may be quicker to balance the roster trading major pieces, but vets are more likely to be attracted to teams that have immediate potential for success. If you trade Lowry for long term benefits it makes it highly unlikely that vets will sign here. If that's the case, trading Demar while he has value would also become an option.

The Stauskas for Ross thing is REALLY lateral. If Nik gets better he's still a defensive liability -- which is Ross' biggest issue (well, that and inconsistency).

I disagree with your rationale for firing Casey, but agree with the idea. His biggest issue is that he is slow to adapt to situations. He doesn't make adjustments fast enough. Things that take better coaches minutes take games for him to fix. When selecting a new coach that needs to be a priority. Not the particular system, but a willingness to adapt if the system fails. The defense failed after Demar went down. They never changed the system to fit the available personnel and the team fell apart.

No on Green -- that's already been discussed.

Someone like Carter isn't coming here if you trade an All Star away (Sorry I'm circling back here).

Sorry, not a fan of players like DePaula. I would probably trade Bruno. They're so raw that you are getting them ready for their second contracts -- if you're lucky. This team is built around players who want to win now. As much as I and others diss Ross he doesn't want to take backward steps. Neither does Pat Pat, or GV or any of the 10 rotation players from last season. IF they get the D League team (which is not guaranteed) then MAYBE you keep Bruno, but roster spaces have value and I would rather use the space getting a kid like George Lucas would take up on a vet who can help guys like our draft pick, Deandre Daniels, Bebe and Bruno. Someone who could also, if needed, play solid minutes for the team from the end of the bench.

As it's been covered in other threads -- this is not a young team. It's a poorly built team that lacks balance. Solid vets, who have been well scouted over a longer period of time are a much easier way to inject balance into a roster -- but you have to sell them on the team, unlike tanking where draft picks and kids on rookie contracts have little choice.

REALLY like drafting Looney, sadly size seems to climb in drafts (He probably will be drafted earlier than us), but I hope they bring him Harrell, Wood and Christmas in.
                          Good criticism.

Yea, you're right about vets being attracted to teams that win now mode. I would want VC only because it would be a picturesque way to finish his career. Otherwise, vets would be a waste of time.

The Ross-Stauskas trade, i've realized isn't that great of a move. I only considered the move because Stauskas might play better at home and may be hailed a hometown hero which might boost his confidence and his overall game.

You're right about Casey's inability to make adjustments during the game. I think this coupled with his favouritism to particular players or lack of objectivity while coaching has been our biggest problem. He's too stubborn, and his justifications for his bad in-game decisions during post conference of game 4 against the wizards made it obvious that he isn't the right coach. I could add a hundred reasons why we should fire casey but that wouldn't change the desired result.

I honestly don't feel that we're a team that can say we're in the win-now mode. I think we need to take more steps progressively in the right direction to help us get there. There's too much pieces that are wrong with this puzzle of the raptors. I think Masai knows this, and is going to make some slight moves to help us towards this. Plus, i don't understand why we would deal LN or BC at this point? We're planning for the future because its highly unlikely we can somehow win in the short term.

Paula, is a long shot. I don't know if he'll pan out to anything but it'd be nice to have him on our roster with some fellow brazilian national players. I think getting him will work to our advantage of having greater chemistry on our roster. 2nd round picks don't normally pan out well but its worth a try.
                          Last edited by BS10; Thu Jun 4, 2015, 02:48 PM.
                          #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to give a perspective of what I think would be the most beneficial and potential moves for the Raptors this off season. Personally, I believe a retooling of our roster and personnel would make us still a competitive team and possible contenders. No, I don't think they are going to make these moves but it is something i did for fun and something to consider. Let me know what you think.

Offseason moves:
                            +Draft Kevon Looney (PF with great defensive, offensive spacing, incredible length and size for his position)
                            +Trade a future 2nd round pick for George De Paula (Great size and length and potential for his position), if he gets picked, or have him work out for our team if undrafted
                            +Sign Gerald Green (More reliable wing shooter and great all around player)
                            +Trade Terrence Ross for Nik Stauskas (This works financially too)
                            +Trade Kyle Lowry to Houston for Clint Capella + Kostas Papanikolou + future 1st or 2nd round pick (I believe this will work when the new cap increases)
                            +Fire Casey
                            +Hire new head coach (Mark Price or JVG) someone that will implement a real offensive system
                            +Sign Veterans (Vince Carter)
                            1. I think the Raps can get a whole lot more for Lowry than just Capela, Papanikoliau and draft picks.
                            2. Say no to Gerald Green. Want no part of him.
                            3. Not a fan of Looney.

C -
                            Mamba Mentality

Comment

Interesting moves, I would love to get Joseph but I don't think we could pry him from the Spurs. We would have to over pay cause he's a restricted free agent. I like your starting line up but we'd be lacking any real 3 point shooting or 3 point threat. Maybe you could start PP instead of Faried?
                              Spurs are up against the cap as Duncan & Ginobilli are leaning towards returning for another season and they are going after max players Aldridge or Gasol and signing Kawhi to a max extension plus trying to bring back Danny Green, Joseph is a strong candidate to be a cap cut. I noticed the lack of 3pt threat outside Lowry in the starting 5 right away but thats something a good coach can work around.
                              Reason I picked the players I did was basically to be realistic given the NBA market and Toronto market. Faried is Masai's guy and is on the outs in DEN and very likely to be moved plus $12M/yr is a value deal in the new NBA come 2016. VC & Toronto...well you know..., Harris is the biggest name on the market that we know wants out and will not be back in Orl (as opposed to guys like Millsap etc that would be great but are in good situations and not likely to leave, let alone come to Toronto), Biyombo has strong ties to Masai through NBA Africa and is the type of Backup C- rebounder/rim protector we lacked, Joseph is a young, Canadian, lockdown defence, backup PG coming out the Spurs system. All these pickup's improve what we lacked last season, defence and rebounding plus Lou/VC/PP makes up for any lack of 3pt threat the starting V lacks off the bench lol
                              Last edited by RepTdot; Thu Jun 4, 2015, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X