Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grade My Offseason Transactions for the Raptors (for fun)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• white men can't jump
    replied
    BS10 wrote: View Post
    What's wrong with gerald green? i think he's super talented, great defence, athletic, and solid shooter and a guy like vince can transform his game into a more consistent one.
    He's a selfish player and total chucker. He's Nick Young with an even bigger sense of entitlement. No thank you.

And Carter's not a free agent. So you'd have to trade with Memphis, which totally changes everything. He's not worth it either way at this point. Not worth trading assets for, and he'll probably retire when his contract is done. The window to bring Vince back was last summer. That passed and now it's basically a thing where I think you only consider it post-retirement in some other role.

I'm down with...
    -Drafting Looney
    -Trying to get a later pick for Paula (might be able to flat out buy one instead of trading a future 2nd)
    -The Lowry to Houston trade...but I'd want more draft picks. Would have to get at least one first, and I might get greedy and want Terrence Jones thrown in.
    -Firing Casey (seems that's unlikely at this point)

Indifferent on the Ross/Stauskas move. And I would have a hard time choosing a new coach no matter what...JVG is not good at developing offensive strategies though...just wanted to point that out.

Still probably not my ideal offseason moves though. Think we can get a better overall deal for Lowry (and don't think HOU would trade Capela). And don't see the need to add vets.

Leave a comment:

• octothorp
    replied
    I dig the draft picks and firing Casey. The rest of the moves I'd pass on. Not opposed to trading Ross or Lowry, but I think there's a better return out there than either of the trades you suggest.

Leave a comment:

• BS10
    replied
    I think he's landed into a bunch of unfortunate situations and has been under-utilized for the teams he's been on. You can say the same thing about James Johnson, until he landed in Toronto for the 2nd time, and now most fans really appreciate James and understand his value. He's been a bright light for us, despite his lack of play.
    Last edited by BS10; Thu Jun 4, 2015, 11:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ceez
    replied
    He's been in the league 7 years now i think he is what he is

Leave a comment:

• BS10
    replied
    What's wrong with gerald green? i think he's super talented, great defence, athletic, and solid shooter and a guy like vince can transform his game into a more consistent one.

Leave a comment:

• ceez
    replied
    i dug it until "sign gerald green" then the wheels came off

Leave a comment:

• BS10
    started a topic Grade My Offseason Transactions for the Raptors (for fun)

Grade My Offseason Transactions for the Raptors (for fun)

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to give a perspective of what I think would be the most beneficial and potential moves for the Raptors this off season. Personally, I believe a retooling of our roster and personnel would make us still a competitive team and possible contenders. No, I don't think they are going to make these moves but it is something i did for fun and something to consider. Let me know what you think.

Offseason moves:
    +Draft Kevon Looney (PF with great defence potential, offensive spacing, incredible length and size for his position)
    +Trade a future 2nd round pick for George De Paula (Great size and length and potential for his position), if he gets picked, or have him work out for our team if undrafted
    +Sign Gerald Green (More reliable wing shooter and great all around player)
    +Trade Terrence Ross for Nik Stauskas (This works financially too)
    +Trade Kyle Lowry to Houston for Clint Capella + Kostas Papanikolou + future 1st or 2nd round pick (I believe this will work when the new cap increases)
    +Fire Casey
    +Hire new head coach (Mark Price or JVG) someone that will implement a real offensive system
    +Sign Veterans (Vince Carter)

Notes on moves:
    -I've seen most mock drafts and theres a high chance we can get Kevon Looney but if not we can defer to Christian wood which is equally talented PF.
    -I'm sure Casey is a great guy in person but he makes constant bad decisions on the court and getting a new coach that will implement an offensive scheme where our players can get high percentage shots is vital for the success of this franchise.
    -I think its more than probable that Vince Carter comes full circle to the franchise where it all began because he's tried ring chasing in the west and has failed by choosing the wrong teams. Plus, his career is in the twilight and he knows it and personally loves this city. He'd probably come back for free but we should pay him.
    -Houston is looking for a "playmaking" point guard and were interested in getting Lowry back before the All-star break, so it would be more than likely they would want a deal for him (maybe we could even steal their 2nd round for this year for G. Paula)

Final looking roster (age in parenthesis):
    C- JV (23), LN (23), Clint Capella (24)
    F- PP(25), JJ(28), BC(19), Kevon Looney(19), Kostas Papanikolou (24)
    G- DD(25), GV(28), Gerald Green (29), George L. De Paula (19), Nik Stauskas (21), Vince Carter (38)

Notes on roster:
    -I think moving GV up to starting would be a good move because he's good at creating offensive and resembles more of a traditional point guard of passing first, despite his mediocre defence (I think our new bigs size and length can mitigate this problem)
    -Unlimited amount of potential line ups
    -Other than Vince Carter, our roster is extremely young (with GG the oldest 29) and can develop solid chemistry overtime with playing together
    -Incredible size and length for all our positions = defensive juggernaught (Looney has a 7'3+" wing span at PF, Paula has a 7'0+ wing span at PG)
    -This team has better bball IQ with the addition of Vince Carter, Cappella, and minus Casey

I don't think I need to argue for keeping DD but heres my reasons for keeping him on the roster:
    Why keep Derozan?
    -He's incredibly hard-working and works to improve his game every year in the off-season
    -He's got grit and this is a rare quality to find in nba players
    -He's a reliable shooter, just look at his numbers over the years
    -I think with a better coach he can shoot at a higher percentage with a better shot selection
    -Who are we going to get in return that that will equal his talent and effort?

I'd only trade DD for 2x 1st round picks and some young talented player. Otherwise, we should pay him his money, even if its a losing gamble. Anyway those are my thoughts. What moves do you like and what moves don't you like? How else do you guys think we can upgrade roster and still maintain a competitive spirit? What other players are available and in reality we can potentially acquire in the off-season (No fantasy moves)? What am i missing?
    Last edited by BS10; Fri Jun 5, 2015, 08:06 PM.
Working...
X