Rebuild End Goal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuild End Goal

There has been a lot of talk about rebuilding and how the draft is the way to do so and that we need an all-NBA talent, but these have been blanket statements with no actual details, just more along the lines of "we need talented player X and Y to compete"

That brings me to a rather tricky question, what is the rebuild goal outside of getting talented players X and Y? Before entering the process it should be defined the type of team you want to build and stick to it, or you might risk combining a bunch of incoherent pieces to the puzzle.

Personally, my end goal is to, generally speaking, have a "tall and quick" team. Draft players specifically with these traits

By this I mean:

- The 1-3 positions should be tall for their position and quick enough or big enough to be able to switch from 1-3. This will allow the team to switch on the guard-guard screens that teams set to open up shooters. And will help contain penetration. Offensively in the playoffs the size advantage will help us get our shots off and initiate the plays from the PG position

- The 4 spot needs to be mobile. They don't need to be a stretch 4 but as long as the can guard one and have an effective 15' game. Rebounding and weak side help should be their strengths. Mobility is needed to guard some small ball lineups (in short spurts), but have the size not to be a liability with a classic lineup

- JV in the middle. He is a large, stay at home big who we can initiate some of the offense through at pretty good efficiency. Defensively a good rim protector and good rebounder.

- Bench: I haven't figured this one out. I don't want a spark plug instant offense type but instead would prefer a shooter and a dribble-drive wing combo + energy big. Positions 9-15 young guys/prospects.

Defense: Switch the guards on the perimeter to contain penetration and ice the PnR. Play a very conservative style. The length on the wings will allow us to run this more effectively because they will be able to play off of three point shooters (containing penetrations), yet will still be able to challenge the shot.

Offense: Would like a high-low post offense similar to Memphis...however with some shooting to space the floor. Lots of weak side movement on post ups.

TL;DR - Draft a team specifically tall, long and quick for their positions

__________________________________________________ ___

What do you guys want as end goals/team structure for a rebuild?

championship
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
      championship
      Touche

Comment

I guess the better question then is how would you like the roster constructed?

Comment

This is pretty pointless. Sure you choose what you're ideal guy at each spot is but if someone comes along but doesn't fit your mold do you just turn him down?

Of course not.

You bring him on and trust that your coach is able to use his strengths to benefit the team.

Comment

Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
            This is pretty pointless. Sure you choose what you're ideal guy at each spot is but if someone comes along but doesn't fit your mold do you just turn him down?

Of course not.

You bring him on and trust that your coach is able to use his strengths to benefit the team.
            That's ridiculous. If the player doesn't fit your system you don't bring him in. Unless its part of some other trade where the piece that doesn't fit is an expiring contract or is movable.

That's the whole problem with this team, its a bunch of pieces that don't fit and over performed for a year giving a false sense of where the team was and where it was headed.
            Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
            Because its 2015

Comment

Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
              That's ridiculous. If the player doesn't fit your system you don't bring him in. Unless its part of some other trade where the piece that doesn't fit is an expiring contract or is movable.

That's the whole problem with this team, its a bunch of pieces that don't fit and over performed for a year giving a false sense of where the team was and where it was headed.
              So in WMCJ's position, he should pass on Wiggins because he's not tall for a SF.

Comment

My bad it was old school cool not WMCJ

Comment

My bad it was old school cool not WMCJ
                  hahaha I was confused for a second

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                    hahaha I was confused for a second
                    My bad aha. Threw me off cuz I was arguing with you in the other thread

Comment

My end goal is Masai making some moves so I won't spend so much time on RR due to all this anticipation fueling my need for speculation.
                      Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

So in WMCJ's position, he should pass on Wiggins because he's not tall for a SF.
                        What? Where did I say that? Wiggins can defend 1-3 positions and he's a potential superstar. That makes him a fit on any team.

If I was to change his point at all, it wouldn't necessarily be contingent on length if they were excellent defenders. But length makes up for mistakes which I think is his point and is proven by the success of Milwaukee a young teams success on defence.

Yes Kidd had a lot to do with that, but my point is the length can help hide mistakes on D because you can cramp passing lanes and recover more efficiently.
                        Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                        Because its 2015

Comment

I like the idea of this thread. Would you start with a team philosophy and build your team around that idea, or find a star(s) and figure things out from there?

Comment

Colangelo's sloppy seconds are so bad....

Wiggins is more of a 2 guard but I'll acknowledge that the wing positions are interchangeable... The fact is Wiggins was a poor example to use because he is still 6'8" with a 7'0" wingspan, which would enable him to easily guard positions 2-3 from a size perspective, yet he is quick enough to guard 1's on switches

What? Where did I say that? Wiggins can defend 1-3 positions and he's a potential superstar. That makes him a fit on any team.

If I was to change his point at all, it wouldn't necessarily be contingent on length if they were excellent defenders. But length makes up for mistakes which I think is his point and is proven by the success of Milwaukee a young teams success on defence.

Yes Kidd had a lot to do with that, but my point is the length can help hide mistakes on D because you can cramp passing lanes and recover more efficiently.
                            I would have to concede to this to some degree. The size is more for flexibility from a team perspective...but say we find ourselves a 6'3" all-NBA PG who is a lockdown defender...average but you gotta go for him vs those extra 2". However the decision would be much much harder if he was 6'0" with a square wingspan...

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                            I like the idea of this thread. Would you start with a team philosophy and build your team around that idea, or find a star(s) and figure things out from there?
                            I think it depends on how quickly you find your star...

Since the draft is largely an unknown I think you draft/build with a purpose and hope that the system that you put in place to prepare those players will be the best situation for them..hence increasing their chances of becoming a star?? That's a tough one

Comment

Wiggins was just an example. You can have a guideline but if superstars become available and they don't fit your guideline you switch up.

If someone wanted a team filled with guys that are good defensively are they gonna pass up on Harden? No, because even though he doesn't fit the criteria, he makes your team better in other ways.

Comment

Working...
                              X