We will miss the playoffs next year if significant changes are not made

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
    Have to respect one of the last few optimists around here.

I don't think that the Raps would be in danger of missing the playoffs with the current roster, but I think they would regress. You may be able to talk me into internal development thing if the organization has proven to help young players but they havent. So much of a players career is determined by where they go and how accepted they feel there.
    I think we'll probably regress with our regular season record of wins/loses but through this we'll know our team deficiencies and how good our players really are against the competition in the upcoming season.

The raptors have very little to show for internal development throughout our franchise but Masai is already making moves towards investing in improving Raptors young talent with his d-league team proposal. On the NBA hardwood is another question, but I think this counts as one step towards the right direction of allowing promising young players to grow.
    #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

"We will miss the playoffs next year if significant changes are not made"

No we won't. Stop over exaggerating.
      Mamba Mentality

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
        "We will miss the playoffs next year if significant changes are not made"

No we won't. Stop over exaggerating.
        From February 1 to the end of the season the Raptors win % was 8th in the east, with notable teams such as Washington and Milwaukee behind them. From January 1st onward they are 6th in win %.

We were literally a fringe playoff team for much of last year, so to suggest that not making the playoffs next season is an over exaggeration is a tough pill to swallow. We almost were already. With no changes to the roster it is entirely possible we fall out of the races if we have a poor start...

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
          From February 1 to the end of the season the Raptors win % was 8th in the east, with notable teams such as Washington and Milwaukee behind them. From January 1st onward they are 6th in win %.

We were literally a fringe playoff team for much of last year, so to suggest that not making the playoffs next season is an over exaggeration is a tough pill to swallow. We almost were already. With no changes to the roster it is entirely possible we fall out of the races if we have a poor start...
          Really good point. What's interesting is if the 2nd half of this year was how the raptors started off the 2014-15 season, Masai might have blown up the roster before the all-star break and tanked for a good pick in this year's lottery draft. But the raptors got caught in the middle, which perhaps in hindsight was probably the worst case scenario as we got embarrassed in the first round. Exposed terribly.

I don't see how missing the playoffs this year will be a bad thing if thats what happens to the Raptor's fortunes. We'll know how good of a team we are before the all-star break, and if we are as terrible as some feel, we can tank for a good pick because we have both our 2016 picks (1st + 2nd round). Plus, we'll have an additional first round via Denver depending on how the lottery pans out. This will help us with our make-over of our roster.
          #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post

thats BS. washington was also a 'fringe team' for much of the year too. we werent even CLOSE to a missing the playoffs last year despite the mediocre last half of the season. winning a total of nearly 50 games in the east is hardly being a fringe team, especially in the east.

chicago had one more win on us total. they went 28-22 after january 1st. we went 25-25. record-wise thats hardly much difference. are they a fringe playoff team too then?
            Last edited by iblastoff; Mon Jun 8, 2015, 10:28 PM.

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
              thats BS. washington was also a 'fringe team' for much of the year too. we werent even CLOSE to a missing the playoffs last year despite the mediocre last half of the season. winning a total of nearly 50 games in the east is hardly being a fringe team, especially in the east.

chicago had one more win on us total. they went 28-22 after january 1st. we went 25-25. record-wise thats hardly much difference. are they a fringe playoff team too then?
              However, those teams have elite talent so your argument is a wash to me

Comment

We need to blow it up after winning 2 divisional titles and making the playoffs 2 years in a row????
                I guess we forgot about the many years before that ......no titles , no playoffs.
                The Raptors foundation is being built. You will see 5 to 6 new faces simply because of expiring contracts. Ujiri must use his new found salary flexibility and trades that don't disrupt the core to acquire talent to fill the team's needs.

Comment

Raptorfanatic wrote: View Post
                  We need to blow it up after winning 2 divisional titles and making the playoffs 2 years in a row????
                  I guess we forgot about the many years before that ......no titles , no playoffs.
                  The Raptors foundation is being built. You will see 5 to 6 new faces simply because of expiring contracts. Ujiri must use his new found salary flexibility and trades that don't disrupt the core to acquire talent to fill the team's needs.
                  people, right?

Comment

That's the problem. The core needs to change if we want more than a first round exit. Great, we have salary cap, lets sign role players to our non contender team. How great it will be.

Comment

Rustyy wrote: View Post
                      That's the problem. The core needs to change if we want more than a first round exit. Great, we have salary cap, lets sign role players to our non contender team. How great it will be.
                      Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

I didn't say we need to blow it up, but significant changes do need to be made.

If we stand pat with this squad we will be one of the lower seeds or OUT of the playoffs (unless nobody in our division improves, which is very unlikely with Boston already being a very solid, young team and New York having tons of cap space as well as the 4th pick).

The Raps need to not make the same mistake we made from 2007-2009. Keeping basically the same squad and adding role players or past-their-prime former stars. It's not an accident that we went from 47 wins in 06-07 to 41 wins in 07-08 to 33 wins and out of the playoffs in 08-09. Other teams get better and improve while you're keeping the same guys who are only getting older and have already peaked. It's not a recipe for success.

Whether it's a trade we make to add a legit star talent, or signing a high upside impact guy in free agency, or trading a key star for a high draft pick and taking one step back to hopefully take 2 or 3 forwards down the line; more needs to happen than just bringing back the band or we're going to be playing that sad, old 7-11 Treadmillin' Tune all over again.

Comment

JWash wrote: View Post

If we stand pat with this squad we will be one of the lower seeds or OUT of the playoffs (unless nobody in our division improves, which is very unlikely with Boston already being a very solid, young team and New York having tons of cap space as well as the 4th pick).

The Raps need to not make the same mistake we made from 2007-2009. Keeping basically the same squad and adding role players or past-their-prime former stars. It's not an accident that we went from 47 wins in 06-07 to 41 wins in 07-08 to 33 wins and out of the playoffs in 08-09. Other teams get better and improve while you're keeping the same guys who are only getting older and have already peaked. It's not a recipe for success.

Whether it's a trade we make to add a legit star talent, or signing a high upside impact guy in free agency, or trading a key star for a high draft pick and taking one step back to hopefully take 2 or 3 forwards down the line; more needs to happen than just bringing back the band or we're going to be playing that sad, old 7-11 Treadmillin' Tune all over again.
                          I agree, everyone is getting better around us. They way the Cavs are playing, it doesnt look like anyone is going to come out of the East in the next couple of years. It's a perfect time to rebuild.

Comment

Good points all around.
                            I have a feeling that Casey might be the tank commander this season. But it would be unwise if that was MU's plan, as he has proven incompetent at tanking.
                            MU has kept his cards close to his chest, but in the next few weeks, it will be his turn to show his hand. It takes great amount of skills and a little bit of luck to retool on the fly (tanking is the easy way out). I have no clue which way MU will go , but as a fan, I can just hope for best.

" 1) add a legit star talent, 2)or signing a high upside impact guy in free agency, 3)or trading a key star for a high draft pick "

My personal option is to carefully do our analysis and try to pull a "Daryl Morey" - Harden type deal (#2), [my target : H. BARNES ] that would be the fastest way.
                            I don't think we can acquire an established star via trade or via FA.

My 2nd option is to pull something at draft night (trade DD or Kyle for a top pick; while keeping our #20.

JWash wrote: View Post

Comment

distorsun wrote: View Post
                              Good points all around.
                              I have a feeling that Casey might be the tank commander this season. But it would be unwise if that was MU's plan, as he has proven incompetent at tanking.
                              MU has kept his cards close to his chest, but in the next few weeks, it will be his turn to show his hand. It takes great amount of skills and a little bit of luck to retool on the fly (tanking is the easy way out). I have no clue which way MU will go , but as a fan, I can just hope for best.

" 1) add a legit star talent, 2)or signing a high upside impact guy in free agency, 3)or trading a key star for a high draft pick "

My personal option is to carefully do our analysis and try to pull a "Daryl Morey" - Harden type deal (#2), [my target : H. BARNES ] that would be the fastest way.
                              I don't think we can acquire an established star via trade or via FA.

My 2nd option is to pull something at draft night (trade DD or Kyle for a top pick; while keeping our #20.
                              Time will tell brother. I hope it works, I'm high on Barnes as well, and would love to see the Raptors move up the draft.

Comment

Every single year people say "The East is about to get a whole lot better! Look at all these teams potentials!" without realising that some of them will have their seasons ruined by injuries and some will just plain not meet expectations. Look at the Hornets, they were supposed to be a top 4 seed contender with Stephenson and they fell apart.

Comment

Working...
                                X