We will miss the playoffs next year if significant changes are not made

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raptorsnz wrote: View Post
    Every single year people say "The East is about to get a whole lot better! Look at all these teams potentials!" without realising that some of them will have their seasons ruined by injuries and some will just plain not meet expectations. Look at the Hornets, they were supposed to be a top 4 seed contender with Stephenson and they fell apart.
    they werent supposed to be a top 4 seed contender, but a playoff contender yes.

Washington will be better next season.
    NYK will be better
    Boston will be better
    Atl will be comparable
    Cleveland will be great
    INDY will be a playoff team
    Heat will be a playoff team
    Bulls will still be very very good
    Buck will be better.

There is legitamate arguement that if all if all this team does this offseason is add a guy like Harris and our pick then we will NOT be better than

Cleveland
    Atlanta
    Bulls

Most likely on par with
    Washington
    Indy
    Bucks

So our absolutely best case scenario is that we end up somewhere in the 4-6 range, most likely first round fodder for another year or two, that is the peak, that is a poor goal.

Comment

That's one scenario. I wouldn't call it the best case though.
      Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

distorsun wrote: View Post
        Good points all around.
        I have a feeling that Casey might be the tank commander this season. But it would be unwise if that was MU's plan, as he has proven incompetent at tanking.
        MU has kept his cards close to his chest, but in the next few weeks, it will be his turn to show his hand. It takes great amount of skills and a little bit of luck to retool on the fly (tanking is the easy way out). I have no clue which way MU will go , but as a fan, I can just hope for best.

" 1) add a legit star talent, 2)or signing a high upside impact guy in free agency, 3)or trading a key star for a high draft pick "

My personal option is to carefully do our analysis and try to pull a "Daryl Morey" - Harden type deal (#2), [my target : H. BARNES ] that would be the fastest way.
        I don't think we can acquire an established star via trade or via FA.

My 2nd option is to pull something at draft night (trade DD or Kyle for a top pick; while keeping our #20.
        I like this idea of stealing talent but Barnes is a RFA in 2016, not this year. I would overpay for him so he could come to our team. I think that would be a great move for the Raptors.

On top of that, I think we can steal a guy like Reggie Jackson (Pistons already have BJennings) during this years free agency.

And i'd only trade up if it would certify us to get a guy like Russell or Towns (I'm on the fence with Winslow) otherwise I think we're fine with our #20 pick for this year.
        #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

Ive called this since 2013-14, its going to be a repeat of 06/07, 07/08, 08/09
          Live. Breath. Sleep. Raptors

Comment

I think saying we will miss the Playoffs next year if nothing changes is a little too dramatic . We're probably still going to win this god awful division unless Boston surprises everyone. Probably be eliminated in the 1st round and all summer we'll keep hearing how were building something special or going the right direction.

Personally if MU keeps spouting this nonsense without anything happening I'll be very disappointed but it's not like this hasn't already happened. Just look back to when BC was looking like a genius and everyone drank the kool-aid. I hope this franchise learned from the BC Era.
            "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

IwishIwasZachLowe wrote: View Post
              I agree, everyone is getting better around us. They way the Cavs are playing, it doesnt look like anyone is going to come out of the East in the next couple of years. It's a perfect time to rebuild.
              thats just stupid. you might as well just say "lets not do anything until lebron dies"

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
                thats just stupid. you might as well just say "lets not do anything until lebron dies"
                What I am sayin is quite the opposite. I'm saying that we should do the bulk of our rebuild this offseason. Meaning trading away asstes at their highest level (Lowry,Derozan) for maximum return, (1st round picks or young prospects). Then we build around our draft picks\prospects along with JV. It's a mixture of forecasting and analyzing what we have now will never be enough to be a championship team. What's stupid is staying pat, we gave this team two seasons to show what they can do. Two 1st round exits mean we are nowhere near the level of a championship squad in my opinion. It's time to rebuild and it should start right now.

Send me a rebuttal that makes sense, and not a 3rd grade response of that's stupid because I said so.

Comment

What I am sayin is quite the opposite. I'm saying that we should do the bulk of our rebuild this offseason. Meaning trading away asstes at their highest level (Lowry,Derozan) for maximum return, (1st round picks or young prospects). Then we build around our draft picks\prospects along with JV. It's a mixture of forecasting and analyzing what we have now will never be enough to be a championship team. What's stupid is staying pat, we gave this team two seasons to show what they can do. Two 1st round exits mean we are nowhere near the level of a championship squad in my opinion. It's time to rebuild and it should start right now.

Send me a rebuttal that makes sense, and not a 3rd grade response of that's stupid because I said so.
                  You can't rebuild around a coach who can't develop or play young players. Sixers are tanking but they emphasize development too. Organization need to be better to tank. Just sucking isn't doing anything

Comment

He'd have no chance but to play young players if thats all you have. As for developing young players that may be true, but it may be a case of lack of talent on our roster as well. Maybe JV and Ross aren't as good as you think they are. It is probably a combination of both, but for one is Derozan has gotten better every year since Casey has took over. Again, is that Derozan just being a gym rat or Casey having an affect on him I am not sure. Masai knows more than we do, I hope.

Comment

He'd have no chance but to play young players if thats all you have. As for developing young players that may be true, but it may be a case of lack of talent on our roster as well. Maybe JV and Ross aren't as good as you think they are. It is probably a combination of both, but for one is Derozan has gotten better every year since Casey has took over. Again, is that Derozan just being a gym rat or Casey having an affect on him I am not sure. Masai knows more than we do, I hope.
                      Actually, Derozan was a lot worse last year than he was in 2013-14 (which in my opinion is his only good season ever). So he did not get better every year under Casey.

2013-14 was the only year Derozan had a higher ORtg than DRtg (good offense made up for bad defense), and the only year he had an above average WS/48 (.100 is average).

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                        Actually, Derozan was a lot worse last year than he was in 2013-14 (which in my opinion is his only good season ever). So he did not get better every year under Casey.

2013-14 was the only year Derozan had a higher ORtg than DRtg (good offense made up for bad defense), and the only year he had an above average WS/48 (.100 is average).
                        So many demar supporters continuously post how much better he has gotten,

A .03% increase in FG% is technically better, so that to them is proof that he is improving as a player, but dare show numbers that paint a picture of poor net worth on the basketball court.....

Comment

Bear wrote: View Post
                          So many demar supporters continuously post how much better he has gotten,

A .03% increase in FG% is technically better, so that to them is proof that he is improving as a player, but dare show numbers that paint a picture of poor net worth on the basketball court.....
                          His FG% plummeted last season, it didn't increase (.429 in 13-14, .413 in 14-15). His rebounding and steals improved a tiny amount, everything else got a bit worse (Ast, Blk, TO) to a lot worse (FG%, 2pt%, 3pt%, TS%). The main issue being you don't want your top scorer to get way worse in all of the scoring efficiency categories, which he did.

Comment

His FG% plummeted last season, it didn't increase (.429 in 13-14, .413 in 14-15). His rebounding and steals improved a tiny amount, everything else got a bit worse (Ast, Blk, TO) to a lot worse (FG%, 2pt%, 3pt%, TS%). The main issue being you don't want your top scorer to get way worse in all of the scoring efficiency categories, which he did.
                            I like to avoid the whole DD debate thing (but it is interesting to read) but it really is hard to ignore so much information especially when it also does support the eye test as well as context.

It's especially bad in Demar's case since, when he's not scoring, he's not really contributing in other areas to make up for it. I do think that a lot of it is in the way he's being used but still since Casey is returning, the chances of that changing are very slim.

I don't think that the team, as constructed, is in any danger of missing the playoffs (I do think the badness of the team is vastly overstated mainly due to the second half drop off). I DO think that they aren't going to scare any team they come up against in the first round as is though without a major change to (at least) the way that they play (or hoping that Lowry can sustain god mode for a whole season + post season).
                            Last edited by Just Is; Thu Jun 11, 2015, 10:20 AM.
                            "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                            "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

Just Is wrote: View Post
                              I like to avoid the whole DD debate thing (but it is interesting to read) but it really is hard to ignore so much information especially when it also does support the eye test as well as context.

It's especially bad in Demar's case since, when he's not scoring, he's not really contributing in other areas to make up for it. I do think that a lot of it is in the way he's being used but still since Casey is returning, the chances of that changing are very slim.
                              A lot has to do with the teams offense so heavily favoring iso instead of ball movement. Demar had a better FG% from every single part of the court in 2013-14 compared to 2014-15. So when looking for the cause of the decline, I can't help but blame the drop in %Ast'd of his shot attempts (.465 in 13-14 to .417 in 14-15). There is a pretty strong correlation between Demar's %Ast'd going down and his FG% going down. Unfortunately, scoring off assists seemed to be actively discouraged by Casey, or at best, actively ignored by him.

Comment

A lot has to do with the teams offense so heavily favoring iso instead of ball movement. Demar had a better FG% from every single part of the court in 2013-14 compared to 2014-15. So when looking for the cause of the decline, I can't help but blame the drop in %Ast'd of his shot attempts (.465 in 13-14 to .417 in 14-15). There is a pretty strong correlation between Demar's %Ast'd going down and his FG% going down. Unfortunately, scoring off assists seemed to be actively discouraged by Casey, or at best, actively ignored by him.
                                Which is another one of the reasons I wasn't a fan of Casey returning.
                                "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                                "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

Working...
                                X