For those who want to keep core and add to it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those who want to keep core and add to it

As the title says, from what I have been reading alot of posters would love to add Middleton to the roster and a PF.

According to Sham Sports, if the Raptors renounce ALL free agents and take into account our draft pick have about 18-19 million available.

So if we sign middleton like most are wanting it would take around 15.5 - 16 million minimum to make that happen.(and in my opinion is not a difference maker)

So we are left with about 4 million in capspace, no MLE(due to having capspace), no resigning any of our own players and a roster of.

Lowry/GV
    Demar/Ross
    Middleton/JJ/Bruno
    Ppat
    JV.

Add to that a rookie.

So 10 players under contract and a huge need for bigmen and only 4 million to spend.

My question is, how in the hell do you expect to add to that roster with 4 or 5 million dollars and make team competetive enough to even maintain a fight against the second tier of Eastern Conference teams.

First tier
    Cleveland
    Atlanta
    Chicago

Second Tier
    Washington
    Bucks
    Heat

**also NYK and Indy are large Question Marks

*** also according to hoopshype(only cause I am lazy), the following teams, if they renounce their free agents, have more capspace than us.

NYK
    Lakers
    Dallas
    SAS
    Detroit
    Phoenix
    Boston
    Utah
    Orlando
    Atlanta
    Philly

Forgot Bebe

for the record i'm absolutely NOT down with keeping the current corp and moving forward

butttt

lets say they do sign Middleton as you said and a cheapish FA C

and at 20 draft a Looney/Woods/Harrell

lowry/GV
    DD/Ross
    Middleton/JJ/Bruno
    PP/rook
    JV/FA/Bebe

that lineup isn't as bad as it looks. i mean, with Casey at the helm you know it's going to blow but it's a pretty decent roster, especially considering how much small ball would be played wherein Middleton/JJ would see a lot of PF minutes.

the depth in the front court is pretty lols but could that team win the atlantic? probably.
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
      Forgot Bebe

for the record i'm absolutely NOT down with keeping the current corp and moving forward

butttt

lets say they do sign Middleton as you said and a cheapish FA C

and at 20 draft a Looney/Woods/Harrell

lowry/GV
      DD/Ross
      Middleton/JJ/Bruno
      PP/rook
      JV/FA/Bebe

that lineup isn't as bad as it looks. i mean, with Casey at the helm you know it's going to blow but it's a pretty decent roster, especially considering how much small ball would be played wherein Middleton/JJ would see a lot of PF minutes.

the depth in the front court is pretty lols but could that team win the atlantic? probably.
      Might win the atlantic, but be stuck in some pretty grim futures.

Comment

Don't the Raps still have Noguiera as well? And the rights to Daniels?

Also, I don't believe that anyone sees Ross as part of the core. Maybe, but trading Ross would help resolve some of that financial space (maybe that's how they can get a PF). I'm not sure that Middleton was the only option.

Danny Green would fit for less, for instance. Or, Tobias Harris, Demarre Carrol (might be the hottest commodity of the bunch), etc. Not sure that Middleton gets 15 mill. Looking at his past contract, and the amount of solid wings available this year, hopefully his price point is closer to 8 -10 mill.

Are free agents going to go to Philly, NYK, Utah or the Lakers without being overpaid? I think Orlando, Atlanta and Boston don't renounce all of their free agents. That still leaves a substantial list of teams in better situations this Summer. Hopefully, free agents are looking towards next year, the Raps can get Middleton and a PF on a single year contract and then this can be sorted out next year.

Comment

If you make a 8-10 M offer on Middleton the Bucks match without even thinking. It has to be an overpay to scare them off, and I'm not even convinced a max offer would do it. Worth a shot though.

Yeah, if the team is going to try to win now, I think the moves are: max offer to Middleton; trade DD and next year's pick (lotto protected) for a starting PF (Faried or Gibson) and backup PG; trade this year's pick plus GV for a starting quality wing (perhaps via sign and trade for a Harris or a Matthews). Then you have BeBe at backup C, PP backup PF, JJ backup SF, Ross backup SG and the new backup PG as your bench. With Bruno growing into a bench role for when JJ is a FA next summer, and we still have the Knicks' pick next year which is hopefully a lotto pick.

Personally I do the opposite and blow it all up. But that's how you do it if you want to win right away. Even that plan has one of the core pieces moving though - I don't see how you add enough at enough positions if you use only free agency and trading bench pieces.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
            If you make a 8-10 M offer on Middleton the Bucks match without even thinking. It has to be an overpay to scare them off, and I'm not even convinced a max offer would do it. Worth a shot though.

Yeah, if the team is going to try to win now, I think the moves are: max offer to Middleton; trade DD and next year's pick (lotto protected) for a starting PF (Faried or Gibson) and backup PG; trade this year's pick plus GV for a starting quality wing (perhaps via sign and trade for a Harris or a Matthews). Then you have BeBe at backup C, PP backup PF, JJ backup SF, Ross backup SG and the new backup PG as your bench. With Bruno growing into a bench role for when JJ is a FA next summer, and we still have the Knicks' pick next year which is hopefully a lotto pick.

Personally I do the opposite and blow it all up. But that's how you do it if you want to win right away. Even that plan has one of the core pieces moving though - I don't see how you add enough at enough positions if you use only free agency and trading bench pieces.
            Although I may differ on the bits and pieces of moves to make, I think the idea is spot on. If the teams intentions are to win, then they should be making a real investment into winning. Can't expect to have your cake and eat it to.

Comment

DD for Taj Gibson would be an overpay. The all-knowing Zach Lowe even suggested Terrence Ross for Gibson could get the deal done - love to know what the Bulls thought of that.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/a-...probably-done/

If Amir Johnson leaves Toronto in free agency, perhaps the Raptors would think about swapping Terrence Ross for Gibson. Johnson is permanently hobbled, and the Raptors need at least one more reliable defender after plummeting to 23rd in points allowed per possession this season. Dwane Casey would love Gibson

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                DD for Taj Gibson would be an overpay. The all-knowing Zach Lowe even suggested Terrence Ross for Gibson could get the deal done - love to know what the Bulls thought of that.

Yeah, I'm hoping for more of a Faried type deal in that scenario. I seriously doubt Ross has any value. And the trick is to not eat your cap space in the deal, or you lose your ability to chase a FA. Maybe DD for Gibson, backup point and a draft pick or two.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

golden wrote: View Post

Ross for Gibson! in a heartbeat...

Comment

Looks like same core coming back based on DC'S interview on 590. Ughhh.

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
                      smokescreen?

Comment

Yeah, I'm hoping for more of a Faried type deal in that scenario. I seriously doubt Ross has any value. And the trick is to not eat your cap space in the deal, or you lose your ability to chase a FA. Maybe DD for Gibson, backup point and a draft pick or two.
                        would rather do a Faried deal but if a Ross for Gibson deal is out there, its a no-brainer...it'll likely be a Ross + GV for Gibson for both salary matching and the Bulls needs (wing/offensive backup PG behind Rose) so we would actually save $1.7mil for 2015-2016 in the deal. Opens us up to go after defensive PG's like Cory Joseph or Beverley OR if we want a direct replacement...wait for it....bring some Linsanity to Toronto.
                        Last edited by RepTdot; Tue Jun 9, 2015, 07:51 PM.

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
                          Silver lining: more time for fantasy basketball

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                            Silver lining: more time to watch the Bucks do crazy things with their uber talented team
                            Fixed it for you

Comment

I think Middleton is a great player and contributes greatly to the bucks however I would only overpay a guy if his potential could be a superstar. I think Middleton will become more of a role player rather than anything wildly special. Plus I don't think the guy isn't even ready to be the face to any franchise. Paying him max or close to max money would be a major financial blunder.

I'd rather spend our money on younger inexpensive talented players and see what happens than overpay a role player. Or find and pay some moderately talented players and see how they fit in with our rotation.

I don't see how anyone can still consider that the raptors are a win-now team with Casey as head coach. He's the reason we didnt go past the first round of this year. I don't understand how we can even make it to the ECF with him coaching. It boggles my mind.
                              Last edited by BS10; Tue Jun 9, 2015, 10:08 PM.
                              #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

Working...
                              X