Casey on board w/ small ball philosophy of NBA Final

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pele wrote: View Post
    Was it the Zen Master who said small ball couldn't win? Anything left on the Knicks worth trading for?
    Calderon and the 4th pick
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Does anybody know what JV has been told to work on this summer by the coaching staff? Ballet lessons (or jui-jitsu classes with JJ) might have been prescribed.

Comment

maputo88 wrote: View Post
        Does anybody know what JV has been told to work on this summer by the coaching staff? Ballet lessons (or jui-jitsu classes with JJ) might have been prescribed.
        Step back threes.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
          Step back threes.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
            Small ball is extremely hard to pull off unless you have a freak like Draymond Green, that's why so few teams do it. Also, as many have already mentioned, GSW played big during a lot of the playoffs, and you know, foreign concept here, adjusted to what was happening on the court and played small only when it worked to their advantage.
            Yep. Also helps to have an immensely talented roster that can bring all stars like Iggy and Lee off the bench. You can't just copy a system and expect it to succeed at the same level if you decrease all the NBA2k player ratings by 25-50%.

It's easy to see the benefit of playing small to increase the spacing on offense if you have two players who are historically lights-out from 3 (who can also drive to the basket) and another two (Green/Barnes) who are good enough to keep teams honest and can also attack the basket. Also a center who is a great passer. Oh, and ALL of them are two way players who can defend.

That's what you need to copy. Playing a line up with everyone shorter than 6'9" is pointless if none of them can do more than one of shoot / pass / drive / defend.
            Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Mess wrote: View Post
              Yep. Also helps to have an immensely talented roster that can bring all stars like Iggy and Lee off the bench. You can't just copy a system and expect it to succeed at the same level if you decrease all the NBA2k player ratings by 25-50%.

It's easy to see the benefit of playing small to increase the spacing on offense if you have two players who are historically lights-out from 3 (who can also drive to the basket) and another two (Green/Barnes) who are good enough to keep teams honest and can also attack the basket. Also a center who is a great passer. Oh, and ALL of them are two way players who can defend.

That's what you need to copy. Playing a line up with everyone shorter than 6'9" is pointless if none of them can do more than one of shoot / pass / drive / defend.
              When you put it like that, it's like looking at the Celtics championship year and saying "hey, all we need to do is assemble a core of 3 future hall-of-famers and surround them with effective role players." Well hot damn, now we're on to something... shhhhh don't let anybody else know such an easy-to-duplicate-guaranteed-to-win team-building strategy!

Or, you know, you could build a talented team that has complimentary skills, playing together as a team in a system that is designed to play to their individual and collective strengths.

Nawww... lets just keep pounding the rock.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post

Good thing dem shots we normally make.
                Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                  Good thing dem shots we normally make.
                  The thing I never understood is how a team that collectively struggled to shoot 40% could possibly have a type of shot that they "normally" make (aside from JV & Amir down low).

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                    The thing I never understood is how a team that collectively struggled to shoot 40% could possibly have a type of shot that they "normally" make (aside from JV & Amir down low).
                    Gotta be part of the fraternity to understand it.

Honestly, don't bother.
                    We make mistakes. That's why they put erasers on pencils.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                      When you put it like that, it's like looking at the Celtics championship year and saying "hey, all we need to do is assemble a core of 3 future hall-of-famers and surround them with effective role players." Well hot damn, now we're on to something... shhhhh don't let anybody else know such an easy-to-duplicate-guaranteed-to-win team-building strategy!

Or, you know, you could build a talented team that has complimentary skills, playing together as a team in a system that is designed to play to their individual and collective strengths.

Oh I know you can't really copy it. I just meant that simply putting small players on the court is not small ball.

Comment

Nah, you're just not hearing the full quote where Casey mumbles at the end.

"That's a shot he normally makes in practice."
                        "He'll make that shot most of the time on my Xbox."

Comment

• octothorp wrote: View Post
                          Nah, you're just not hearing the full quote where Casey mumbles at the end.

"That's a shot he normally makes in practice."
                          "He'll make that shot most of the time on my Xbox."
                          For Casey 40% FG is normal. It happens to at least one or two high usage players every year

Comment

• Mess wrote: View Post
                            Oh I know you can't really copy it. I just meant that simply putting small players on the court is not small ball.
                            I knew that's how you meant it, but there's others... *cough* DC *cough* that seems to think it is that easy.

Comment

I knew that's how you meant it, but there's others... *cough* DC *cough* that seems to think it is that easy.
                              I just pictured a roster filled with nothing but Tyrion Lannister's. Is there anything in the NBA rulebook about a player standing on another player's shoulders?

Comment

• Mess wrote: View Post
                                I just pictured a roster filled with nothing but Tyrion Lannister's. Is there anything in the NBA rulebook about a player standing on another player's shoulders?
                                Dwane Casey's dream team:

Brandon Jennings
                                Lou Williams
                                Alan Anderson
                                DeMar Derozan
                                Nick Young
                                Monta Ellis
                                Tyreke Evans
                                Tony Wroten
                                John Salmons
                                Rasual Butler
                                Greivis Vasquez

And any player over the age of 35 is welcome.
                                "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Working...
                                X