Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casey on board w/ small ball philosophy of NBA Final

http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptor...o%2FAQAIoTjcgj

“I would love to be stubborn and just try to have (Valanciunas) guard a smaller, quicker centre when a team goes small, but it’s difficult to do now in this stage of his career. Maybe someday he’ll get there, but he’s not there yet,” Casey said. “The day of the centres has gone by.”

This!

The game has changed people. The NBA has become a guards league and i feel like this is just the beginning. This Warriors/Cavs series will take the "small ball" philosophy to ANOTHER LEVEL. I think this series will change the NBA forever. I mean, these are the 2 best teams in the NBA right now. I think we'll see more small ball teams teams in the future.
    Mamba Mentality

change only until the next best player in the league is a center. right now small ball is the way to go because the guards are so good but shaq/wilt/kareem/duncan would still own the league.

most centers get by because they are huge, the rare special ones force the league to adapt.

Comment

It is definitely trending towards more mobile bigs. If Anthony Davis was on either team I'm sure he'd be playing crunch time
      in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

JV is going to have a very tough year ahead of him and I feel like MU knows that and he is on board with what Casey is saying ...

I might be wrong but I think if there is a good deal out there, JV might be the one that will be moved and not DD.

Comment

When everybody shifts to one side of the boat, it is usually a good time to go back to the other.

Comment

McRealistic wrote: View Post
            JV is going to have a very tough year ahead of him and I feel like MU knows that and he is on board with what Casey is saying ...

I might be wrong but I think if there is a good deal out there, JV might be the one that will be moved and not DD.
            Which will prove Masai is incompetent. You don't get rid of someone who can improve because of a trend. You get rid of the 26 year old who is expiring and won't get much better.

Comment

I don't think things have dramatically changed. There's more Euro and international influence, meaning more mobility out there, but when most of these teams "go small" it's in name only. Other than Green at C for GS, everyone else are players large enough to switch roles. Harrison is 6-8, etc., that's not really going small. Especially if you consider how strong Green is.

Also, Lebron at 4 or 5 is not going small. He's huge. The problem is that the Raps have a coach that thinks "go small" means play with size disadvantages at every position whereas the smart coaches are about moving pieces -- not to get physically smaller, but to get more mobile in the interior. That can be done by limiting the weight training for JV and getting him to work on his mid range shot, use 2Pat as the starting 4, play JJ behind him occasionally, etc.

I do not want to see Lowry and GV on the court at the same time ever again. Ever. Again. (Seriously, defense matters).

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptor...o%2FAQAIoTjcgj

“I would love to be stubborn and just try to have (Valanciunas) guard a smaller, quicker centre when a team goes small, but it’s difficult to do now in this stage of his career. Maybe someday he’ll get there, but he’s not there yet,” Casey said. “The day of the centres has gone by.”

This!

The game has changed people. The NBA has become a guards league and i feel like this is just the beginning. This Warriors/Cavs series will take the "small ball" philosophy to ANOTHER LEVEL. I think this series will change the NBA forever. I mean, these are the 2 best teams in the NBA right now. I think we'll see more small ball teams teams in the future.
                What? How is this new? Small-ball adjustments were a major part of the last couple NBA finals. A coach must fully understand what your team's strengths and weaknesses are, as well as his opponent's, and then be able to adjust accordingly to create the best possible matchup. But going small just because your opponent goes small rarely helps, if your opponent actually has a much better small lineup than you do. As is the case in these finals, and as was the case often with the Raptors this year.
                If the Cavs lose game six, we can say that Golden State's small-ball lineup was a big-part of them winning the championship. But we may also say that Blatt's decision to match the smallball lineup instead of finding a way to exploit his team's size advantage lost them the championship. I don't care who I've got on my team, I do not want to try matching small-ball lineups with Golden State.

Comment

If this is the case, just how incompetent is the Raptors organization? We draft a mobile 20 year old centre 4 years ago and then tell him to bulk up. Then his HC pulls this crap on him.

Comment

Of course he's on board, Warriors roster is fucking perfect for small ball. Ours? Meh..

Not sure why Casey wanted for JV to bulk up though.. it was main topic during his 1st season.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                      When everybody shifts to one side of the boat, it is usually a good time to go back to the other.
                      This.

Put a legit contending team on this roster with JV at center, and let's see somebody try to defend a 7 foot low-post scoring big with a 6'7 SF, when there are a ton of other (possibly even more lethal) weapons around him.

The Warriors also have not won the title yet. Cleveland in 7.

Comment

Putting 3 PGs at the 1, 2 and 3 spots and then a shooting guard at the 4 spot is Casey's idea of "going small". That's not the type of small ball that's going to win you anything anyway.

Comment

JWash wrote: View Post
                          Putting 3 PGs at the 1, 2 and 3 spots and then a shooting guard at the 4 spot is Casey's idea of "going small". That's not the type of small ball that's going to win you anything anyway.
                          That's basically it right there. Casey hasn't figured out that when the rest of the league goes small, it means playing someone like JJ at the 4, not a line-up of KL, Lou, GV and DD.

We simply don't have a great roster for small ball.
                          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                            That's basically it right there. Casey hasn't figured out that when the rest of the league goes small, it means playing someone like JJ at the 4, not a line-up of KL, Lou, GV and DD.

We simply don't have a great roster for small ball.
                            Agreed. Although I'm not even sure JJ is the ideal small-ball 4 because while he'd be amazing defensively there, he can't space the floor so you can stick a big on him.

I think an ideal small ball 4 is a mobile 3/4 hybrid (versatile forward is the "trending" term I think) who is at least respectable from 3, and can put the ball on the floor. Tobias Harris in free agency is a guy who I think could be very, very effective in that type of role. Possibly even moreso than a Draymond on the offensive end (and he's solid but not great defensively as well).

Comment

JWash wrote: View Post
                              Agreed. Although I'm not even sure JJ is the ideal small-ball 4 because while he'd be amazing defensively there, he can't space the floor so you can stick a big on him.

I think an ideal small ball 4 is a mobile 3/4 hybrid (versatile forward is the "trending" term I think) who is at least respectable from 3, and can put the ball on the floor. Tobias Harris in free agency is a guy who I think could be very, very effective in that type of role. Possibly even moreso than a Draymond on the offensive end (and he's solid but not great defensively as well).
                              Yeah, JJ's lack of range isn't ideal, but in terms of our current/recent roster, playing him at the 4 would be most coaches design of "small ball".

Playing JJ at the 4 (or even 5) would only create significant issues for opposing bigs IF we actually pushed the ball in transition and played at a high pace. As is, JJs man can easily sag into the lane. JJ needs to keep moving to put any pressure on his man and our offence doesn't have much (if any) off-ball movement.

Harris certainly seems to fit the mold.
                              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Working...
                              X