Any Interest in David Lee?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thead wrote: View Post
    correct me if I'm wrong but we could trade Hayes, Fields, and Hansbrough to them for David Lee and then they all expire on the 1st? we get David Lee and the 30th pick?

Like what just happened with Ilysova
    This answers a lot of questions for me. It's all about what you would have to give up. That would make the bigs 2 Pat, Val, and Lee. That's probably a huge upgrade over last year. I'm not a massive Lee fan, but he is a legit player, if Masai gets that phone call you have to hope he takes a long, hard time thinking about that sort of trade.

Comment

correct me if I'm wrong but we could trade Hayes, Fields, and Hansbrough to them for David Lee and then they all expire on the 1st? we get David Lee and the 30th pick?

No, expirings could only be traded until midseason deadline.

But like octothorp said, they could agree to a trade in advance. Shake hands now, make it official in July. That would involve cap space, not Hayes, Fields, etc.

Comment

No, you can't trade expiring contracts.

Yes, you can agree to a deal then execute it later. BeBe/Lou is a bad example, that was executed before the year turned. JO for Hibbert is a good example.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Gotta correct you cause you're wrong....

You can't trade an expiring after trade deadline.

If those guys had team options, yes, could trade but all expiring so no.

Comment

On second thought, yep, a draft day deal is quite possible with a team like Philly. Give them some draft pick or two, and they'll probably agree to take him (officially in July). Orlando maybe.

Good teams will probably want to look at free agents first, but bad teams might just do it now.
            Last edited by BobLoblaw; Wed Jun 17, 2015, 06:25 PM.

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
              On second thought, yep, a draft day deal is quite possible with a team like Philly. Give them some draft pick or two, and they'll probably agree to take him (officially in July). Orlando maybe.

Good teams will probably want to look at free agents first, but bad teams might just do it now.
              What about us? Lee ostensibly fills a hole. And more draft picks = good.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

A few points.

1.) A couple of people have already mentioned this but it bears repeating: you can't trade expiring contracts after the trade deadline, and you can't arrange to trade them at the start of the next season (because by that point they have expired). What happened with John Salmons was that we traded him to Atlanta when he had one year left on his contract, but that year was a team option, so Atlanta could say "nope we're not gonna honor that final year, bye John." THAT sort of thing happens all the time in the NBA. But we don't have any of those. So forget about trading Landry or Psycho T or whoever.

2.) The Warriors are looking to trade Lee to a contender because they respect him (he was their sole All-Star for years, remember) and because he was an effective role-player in getting them their championship, so they're not going to dump him on Philly. More likely he ends up on a team that needs scoring punch from a big in the East and with Lee can become a reasonably strong contender in the East - Boston, Indiana or Detroit might all qualify.

3.) Lee doesn't move the needle for us because while he's a decent playmaker and reasonable rebounder, he can't shoot the three and he's injury prone. He's basically Amir Johnson except more expensive and scores better, and we don't really need another scorer.

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
                  A few points.

1.) A couple of people have already mentioned this but it bears repeating: you can't trade expiring contracts after the trade deadline, and you can't arrange to trade them at the start of the next season (because by that point they have expired). What happened with John Salmons was that we traded him to Atlanta when he had one year left on his contract, but that year was a team option, so Atlanta could say "nope we're not gonna honor that final year, bye John." THAT sort of thing happens all the time in the NBA. But we don't have any of those. So forget about trading Landry or Psycho T or whoever.

2.) The Warriors are looking to trade Lee to a contender because they respect him (he was their sole All-Star for years, remember) and because he was an effective role-player in getting them their championship, so they're not going to dump him on Philly. More likely he ends up on a team that needs scoring punch from a big in the East and with Lee can become a reasonably strong contender in the East - Boston, Indiana or Detroit might all qualify.

3.) Lee doesn't move the needle for us because while he's a decent playmaker and reasonable rebounder, he can't shoot the three and he's injury prone. He's basically Amir Johnson except more expensive and scores better, and we don't really need another scorer.
                  Why not? Why not go balls to the wall on offence? It's not like we're talking about championship or bust here.

If GSW wants to throw him here with some sweeteners, I'd do it in a second.
                  "Stop eating your sushi."
                  "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                  "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                  - Jack Armstrong

Comment

I expect Lee to land in New York. He had success there before, they need talent and can offer a pure salary dump. He is still a productive player, so I don't expect they'll need to throw picks in as a sweetener to find someone to take him into their cap space.

Plus he's expiring, so he isn't a bad "risk" to take, especially for a "win now cause we have no picks" team like the Knicks.
                    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I would prefer to have contract flexibility. I could see a team like Utah or Philly take him along with the 30th pick for virtually nothing and then waive him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                        I expect Lee to land in New York. He had success there before, they need talent and can offer a pure salary dump. He is still a productive player, so I don't expect they'll need to throw picks in as a sweetener to find someone to take him into their cap space.

Plus he's expiring, so he isn't a bad "risk" to take, especially for a "win now cause we have no picks" team like the Knicks.
                        NY is definitely possible. If they sign Monroe I don't see it though.

I always thought Orlando but am not sure now with Skiles....although it would get orlando out of last 2 years of fryes deal from a pure money perspective.

Frye and Gordon for Lee.

Fryes contract declines in value.
                        Gordon is not guaranteed.
                        Saves GS about $8m and they could also decline Speights $3.8m and send out another $1m by including #30.

Orlando is serious about winning and it is tough to do with ALL youth...especially when they aren't ELITE talent.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                          NY is definitely possible. If they sign Monroe I don't see it though.

I always thought Orlando but am not sure now with Skiles....although it would get orlando out of last 2 years of fryes deal from a pure money perspective.

Frye and Gordon for Lee.

Fryes contract declines in value.
                          Gordon is not guaranteed.
                          Saves GS about $8m and they could also decline Speights $3.8m and send out another $1m by including #30.

Orlando is serious about winning and it is tough to do with ALL youth...especially when they aren't ELITE talent.
                          Monroe and Lee frontcourt with Melo at SF just screams championship.

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                            What about us? Lee ostensibly fills a hole. And more draft picks = good.
                            It's possible, but I think the Raptors' asking price would likely be higher than Philly's or some other bad team's - for now.

Lets say the offer is David Lee + 2015 1st (no.30) + a few second rounders for cap space. I don't know if that would be enough for Philly, but it's conceivable that it would be enough. They probably aren't going to sign anyone meaningful this summer, they are under minimum payroll for next year, plus David Lee could be a positive veteran presence, a high character locker room vet. Plus some low picks. It's a pretty good deal for them.

I don't know if the Raptors would rush at the same deal. They get some low picks, but they lose an opportunity to maybe sign someone better. It's a good deal in late July if the Raptors have a bad offseason. But for now, I'd rather for example try to sign Jared Dudley or someone like that for the SF spot and keep some of that money for a PF signing or a trade. Jared Dudley + lets say Gibson would be a much better offseason for this team, in my eyes, than David Lee and a few very low picks.

Comment

I think we are a very likely landing spot. We have the cap space. We can take on a draft pick or two (it would be this year's pick plus their 2019 if there's a second). We are ostensibly at least a respectable team, so they aren't dumping him on a terrible team, and we fit him well (need a rebounder and scoring threat at the 4, even if that leaves us a little toothless inside defensively - but that's meaningless since we're so toothless outside defensively). We can even potentially offer a possibility of a sign and traded Lou or Amir (Amir would fit great there) heading their way in free agency without them having to worry about cap space or exceptions, since the deal would have to happen in July anyway.

Then next summer we are a pick or two richer, have competed in the meantime, and have huge cap flexibility to remake the team how we see fit.

Not my ideal plan (kablooey!) but if we are going to try to add a PF, I wouldn't complain if he came along with a pick or two.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
                                Monroe and Lee frontcourt with Melo at SF just screams championship.
                                hahaha.

Calderon
                                Tim Hardaway
                                Melo
                                David Lee / Bargnani?
                                Greg Monroe

Profit.

Comment

Working...
                                X