X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH
    replied
    BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
    On second thought, yep, a draft day deal is quite possible with a team like Philly. Give them some draft pick or two, and they'll probably agree to take him (officially in July). Orlando maybe.

Good teams will probably want to look at free agents first, but bad teams might just do it now.
    What about us? Lee ostensibly fills a hole. And more draft picks = good.

Leave a comment:

• BobLoblaw
    replied
    On second thought, yep, a draft day deal is quite possible with a team like Philly. Give them some draft pick or two, and they'll probably agree to take him (officially in July). Orlando maybe.

Good teams will probably want to look at free agents first, but bad teams might just do it now.
    Last edited by BobLoblaw; Wed Jun 17, 2015, 06:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    thead wrote: View Post
    correct me if I'm wrong but we could trade Hayes, Fields, and Hansbrough to them for David Lee and then they all expire on the 1st? we get David Lee and the 30th pick?

Like what just happened with Ilysova
    Gotta correct you cause you're wrong....

You can't trade an expiring after trade deadline.

If those guys had team options, yes, could trade but all expiring so no.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    No, you can't trade expiring contracts.

Yes, you can agree to a deal then execute it later. BeBe/Lou is a bad example, that was executed before the year turned. JO for Hibbert is a good example.

Leave a comment:

• BobLoblaw
    replied
    correct me if I'm wrong but we could trade Hayes, Fields, and Hansbrough to them for David Lee and then they all expire on the 1st? we get David Lee and the 30th pick?

No, expirings could only be traded until midseason deadline.

But like octothorp said, they could agree to a trade in advance. Shake hands now, make it official in July. That would involve cap space, not Hayes, Fields, etc.

Leave a comment:

• blackjitsu
    replied

This answers a lot of questions for me. It's all about what you would have to give up. That would make the bigs 2 Pat, Val, and Lee. That's probably a huge upgrade over last year. I'm not a massive Lee fan, but he is a legit player, if Masai gets that phone call you have to hope he takes a long, hard time thinking about that sort of trade.

Leave a comment:

• Bandit
    replied

Well I for one would be happy with a scenario like that.

Leave a comment:

• McRealistic
    replied

You probably can but MU is going to let those contracts expire because god forbid he has to pick the phone, make some calls and make a deal !!!

#SummerofMU

Leave a comment:

• thead
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MACK11
    replied
    octothorp wrote: View Post
    Can't you put trades in place on draft day with the caveat that the trades don't become official until July? I forget exactly how the timing on that works.
    Wasn't that what happened with us and Atlanta in the Lou Will & Bebe for Salmons trade?

Leave a comment:

• octothorp
    replied
    Can't you put trades in place on draft day with the caveat that the trades don't become official until July? I forget exactly how the timing on that works.

Leave a comment:

• Primer
    replied
    BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
    A draft day trade sounds unlikely. The goal would be salary dump, and for that you would need either cap space or non-guaranteed contracts. Cap space will exist in July. Draft day trade would have to be built around non-guaranteeds, and I don't know if any team has enough of those.
    Good point, I forgot we don't get cap space until July.

Leave a comment:

• Bandit
    replied
    I was actually thinking that Lee might look decent in a raps uniform next year. I don't want to see us going all in with this roster so if we could give them cap room for a year of lee and some future opportunities I wouldn't be opposed.

Leave a comment:

• BobLoblaw
    replied
    A draft day trade sounds unlikely. The goal would be salary dump, and for that you would need either cap space or non-guaranteed contracts. Cap space will exist in July. Draft day trade would have to be built around non-guaranteeds, and I don't know if any team has enough of those.

Leave a comment:

• Primer
    replied
    whatever happens would likely happen during the draft
    I'm not so sure unless GS is dangling their 1st round pick this year. Otherwise I'm sure the teams with cap have better ideas to try out before settling on absorbing David Lee.

I just checked and GS has traded away all their 2nd rounders from 2015-2018, as well as their 2017 1st. So maybe you're right since it seems as though this years 1st is all they have to offer. Of course they could still trade whomever they take in the 1st round after the fact.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X