Is Bruno a SF or PF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Bruno a SF or PF?

I have seen the future and I see a lot of "scrub" "nothing" "waste of pick" type of posts. Lets assume he pans out into a NBA player for just one moment.

So what position does he play?

He is 6'9" with a 7'7" wingpsan and currently 221 pounds.

I think many, myself included, assumed SF. However I was asking this question last summer. I think he has ability to play both positions but if he is predominantly a PF, I think that is very intriguing long term.

For comparison sake:

A guy like Thaddeus Young who is a tweener is 6'8" with a 6'11" wingspan and 221lbs.
    Mirotic is 6'10" and 220lbs.
    Faried is 6'7.5" with 7'0" wingspan and 228lbs.
    Josh Smith is 6'9" and 225lbs.
    Anthony Davis 6'10" and 220lbs.

What do you think?
    Small Forward
    76.00%
    Power Forward
    24.00%

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    I have seen the future and I see a lot of "scrub" "nothing" "waste of pick" type of posts. Lets assume he pans out into a NBA player for just one moment.

So what position does he play?

He is 6'9" with a 7'7" wingpsan and currently 221 pounds.

I think many, myself included, assumed SF. However I was asking this question last summer. I think he has ability to play both positions but if he is predominantly a PF, I think that is very intriguing long term.

For comparison sake:

A guy like Thaddeus Young who is a tweener is 6'8" with a 6'11" wingspan and 221lbs.
    Mirotic is 6'10" and 220lbs.
    Faried is 6'7.5" with 7'0" wingspan and 228lbs.
    Josh Smith is 6'9" and 225lbs.
    Anthony Davis 6'10" and 220lbs.

What do you think?
    I'm thinking he plays both forward positions, but will mainly play as a stretch 4. As you pointed out, PF these days are right around 220lbs, same as Bruno. Where he plays will depend on the matchup, so hopefully we have a coach who can adjust by the time Bruno is ready for the jump from DLeague to NBA.

Comment

You heard Casey. We're playing small ball next year. Bruno is a Center now. Stretch 5 baby
      Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Offensively I think we could see him fill a stretch 4 role. I also think he could quite easily fill the 3 if we had a good option at the 4.

Defensively I think he'll match up well with both 3s and 4s. He should have enough lateral quickness/length that getting switched onto guards shouldn't be a major concern. At 220 he could cover 5s in some cases, like when the other team doesn't have a 250lb 7-footer. His reach would allow him to contest shots even then though.

Comment

One thing to keep in mind on Bruno's weight is, most likely, he is going to naturally fill out.

I don't think it is unreasonable to see him get to 235/240 range without losing any mobility assuming there is an emphasis on strength versus bulk.... in other words, a non-JV approach.

Comment

I say Bruno is a stretch 4.... but with the way the team looks, he'll play a mix of minutes at 3 and 4, but mostly at the 3 due to his shooting. I feel we could use him as a Draymond Green, but I still say SF is best for him... as I don't know how much weight we can add to him.
            Axel wrote:
            Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
            KeonClark wrote:
            We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
            KeonClark wrote:
            I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
              I'm thinking he plays both forward positions, but will mainly play as a stretch 4. As you pointed out, PF these days are right around 220lbs, same as Bruno. Where he plays will depend on the matchup, so hopefully we have a coach who can adjust by the time Bruno is ready for the jump from DLeague to NBA.
              Zach Randolph, Lamarcus Aldridge, Paul Millsap, Blake Griffin, Serge Ibaka, Jarred Sullinger, Greg Monroe, David West, Dirk Nowitzki, Kevin Love, Boris Diaw, Derek Favours and a bunch of others beg to differ!
              Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Until he shows us some toughness I think he projects as a 3. I think he has the ability to become a serviceable combo forward due to his length, but he will need to rebound in traffic and play hard....something we have no idea if he can do or not.
                Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
                  Zach Randolph, Lamarcus Aldridge, Paul Millsap, Blake Griffin, Serge Ibaka, Jarred Sullinger, Greg Monroe, David West, Dirk Nowitzki, Kevin Love, Boris Diaw, Derek Favours and a bunch of others beg to differ!
                  Yes, sorry.

Those guys I listed were actually not the norm but guys who do play the position at similar size to Bruno.

I think Bruno fills out and is in the 240 range within 2-3 years.

Comment

He's currently a 3.

He has the potential to become a 3/4 but he'll find most of his time at the 3. I voted PF because I THINK he could become a 4 but will always be able to play the 3.

Hope he's not given the Rudy or JV advise and told to gain mass.
                    "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                    "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

I wouldn't put Nowitzki on that list, regardless of weight. Dirk is exactly the type of PF you hope Bruno can guard (obviously not counting small ball situations). Guys who don't really play a physical game, and rely more on shooting and face-ups. It's hard to put big men on them because of the ability to shoot and put it on the floor. A guy with Bruno's length and the quickness of a wing is exactly what you want. Someone who can disturb the shot without surrendering the drive.

Comment

Until he shows us some toughness I think he projects as a 3. I think he has the ability to become a serviceable combo forward due to his length, but he will need to rebound in traffic and play hard....something we have no idea if he can do or not.
                        Good point. A player's position is defined by which position he can successfully defend on a consistent basis.

Bruno appears too weak to defend power forwards, and we know absolutely nothing about his ability to rebound. If he doesn't develop the ability to keep guys out of the paint and rebound, then he's a perimeter player. Charles Barkley was 6-4, and Kevin Love is closer to 6-7, apparently.

I fear that we will make Bruno bulk up (like Rudy Gay and JV) and he'll become slow and lumbering, as he isn't the quickest footed guy to begin with, despite his other athletic gifts. And if he doesn't have foot-speed, he can't defend perimeter players either. I'd go with developing Bruno to be as quick-footed as possible, with a "wiry strong" frame and keep him as a perimeter player.

Comment

I say SF for now. Ideally, we will add a 6'10/6'11 player with even longer wingspan to play PF.

Without really knowing his skill set (can he rebound? can he defend in the post?) we don't have much to go on except perimeter shooting and body measurements. Until I see him mixing it up in a physical style, a tall SF.
                          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Kevin Love is 6'7 3/4 in bare feet, a solid 6'9" with shoes.
                            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Right now he projects to be Austin Daye 2.0. What I hope he can become is something more than that.
                              Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Working...
                              X