Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maybe MLSE won't let Raptors tank in 2016

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    MLSE is clearly more interested in PR than basketball. There will be little turnover, they should have fired the coach, now they can't hire AC's worth their weight, and GV should have been moved for a pass first guard but he's tied to the Pan Am Games...
    Really? That's why they're investing in building a brand new training facility and acquiring a d-league team.
    Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
    Because its 2015

    Comment


    • #17
      Nobody in the fanbase wants to tank either, except for a bunch you internet fans who have become so isolated and set in your ways and only talk hoops with each other all day. We've been "tanking" for like 15 of the 20 years and it never seemed to help. A lot of people seem completely unable to wrap their heads around there being another way to build a succesful franchise. We're finally on the map, and one playoff sweep has everybody wanting to return to another 3 plus years of shithole basketball. Were one of the biggest markets in the nba, start acting like it. Its not fun being orlando, in a constant state of dumping its stars and recycling. Contrary to what many people think, the atlanta hawks and there starless team are waaaay closer to a ring than the greak freek and his gang of merry potentialzzz. Ujiris two biggest skills seem to be finding late first rond gems, and shrewd trades. Let the man work, letss keep winning, and keep improving.
      It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

      Comment


      • #18
        Bear wrote: View Post
        That is worth far less than a dynamic core with opoortunity for real growth.
        Tell that to the CFO.
        Especially the one representing Bell, the company whose sports channel no longer shows hockey and is heavily invested in showing NBA, especially Raptors.

        As the urban philosopher DJ Quik said, if it don't make dollars then it don't make sense.

        Comment


        • #19
          MACK11 wrote: View Post
          Without changes this team will be barely over. 500
          I can't wrap my head around this thinking. I'm not saying they're going to be contenders, but this core won 49 games. Not sure how you so easily project a 7 win slide
          Ball Don't Lie

          Comment


          • #20
            There's no point of a full on tank, just need some shake up
            We have cap space, no bad contracts, extra picks, and young players. Tanking is for when you're in a bad position, but we have way too much flexibility

            Comment


            • #21
              This isn't a new idea to the forums.

              They fully intended to tank 18 months ago.

              There was no way they knew they'd have 2 allstars since then.

              There is the all-star game and then there is the other events. No reason why Raps can't heavily represent in rook/soph game, dunk contest, 3pt shoot out, skills, etc.

              I'm taking Masai at his word from December 9, 2013 and all the talk about evaluating based on playoffs.

              What will be will be.

              The Allstar weekend is going to be a huge success regardless of if a hometown player is in the game or not....and at this point there is no guarantee there will be an allstar anyways. Neither Lowry or DeRozan are what I'd call perennial AS.

              The reality is no superstar is coming to Toronto without another one here...except Wiggins in 7 years. So who is MLSE trying to impress? The next Carlos Boozer or Amare stoudemire? What about the next 29 year old Joe Johnson?

              Comment


              • #22
                Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
                Really? That's why they're investing in building a brand new training facility and acquiring a d-league team.
                You're missing the point. They're investing in a new building because the Leafs have one in Etobicoke. They know that it creates new sources of revenue, (turning the current practice space into a 2000+ concert space, renting the new facility to leagues and corporate clients, etc) AND it's great PR. We could argue whether the Public is the general public, or the players but they already have an example in-house of the results of building such a facility.

                You know the other team building a new practice facility? The Nets. Why? To distract fans from the fading on court product. So that they can say they are doing everything to win, when stability, the chance to win and coaching means more to FAs than a pretty building. If they're winning and the checks cash at the 1st and 15th a well-kept older facility would be fine for most of these guys. A lot of them train in high school gyms during the Summer, or play Summer league at smaller colleges they can handle less than perfect practice spaces.

                They're finally buying a D League team because they are literally 3-5 years behind the majority of the league. AND when they eventually find a way to move the team up to Toronto (doubt it happens next season, IF they even have a D-League team next season) it's a potential source of revenue. If they run it like the Marlies, I'll go. Most of the hardcores here will go.

                Not having a D League team makes MLSE look incompetent. So yeah, it's a PR move. Announcing a team, before you have a team, when Charlotte is taking a full year to get their team together is absolutely a PR move. It was done to silence the fans who recognize how important a D League team is.

                Comment


                • #23
                  worth mentioning, but the ASG will put a raptor in the game, one way or another, be it 3 point shooting/skillz/rookie game etc.

                  so while trading lowry /+ DD would i'm sure make MLSE shudder it's not like they wouldn't be able to pump some serious sales out of some player.

                  edit: or what matt said
                  @sweatpantsjer

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                    The reality is no superstar is coming to Toronto without another one here...except Wiggins in 7 years. So who is MLSE trying to impress? The next Carlos Boozer or Amare stoudemire? What about the next 29 year old Joe Johnson?
                    1) You DON'T need a superstar to win a single NBA championship. Spurs didn't have one 2 years ago. Pistons didn't have one.
                    2) You say that like its fact, when it reality its conjecture. Just because something hasn't happened does not mean it never will. In fact the improbable or damn near impossible happens every year in professional sports
                    It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      KeonClark wrote: View Post
                      1) You DON'T need a superstar to win a single NBA championship. Spurs didn't have one 2 years ago. Pistons didn't have one.
                      2) You say that like its fact, when it reality its conjecture. Just because something hasn't happened does not mean it never will. In fact the improbable or damn near impossible happens every year in professional sports
                      I'd agree they didn't, but, they also had very very talented players at each position.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Mindlessness wrote: View Post
                        I'd agree they didn't, but, they also had very very talented players at each position.

                        And that is what I'm hoping to achieve without tanking.
                        It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          KeonClark wrote: View Post
                          1) You DON'T need a superstar to win a single NBA championship. Spurs didn't have one 2 years ago. Pistons didn't have one.
                          2) You say that like its fact, when it reality its conjecture. Just because something hasn't happened does not mean it never will. In fact the improbable or damn near impossible happens every year in professional sports
                          Whatever gets you through the night.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            mcHAPPY wrote: View Post

                            The reality is no superstar is coming to Toronto without another one here...except Wiggins in 7 years. So who is MLSE trying to impress? The next Carlos Boozer or Amare stoudemire? What about the next 29 year old Joe Johnson?
                            What happens if you tank and go through 5 drafts and don't land a superstar? Do you keep tanking? When do you stop? Is there a drop dead date on the plan?

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                              Whatever gets you through the night.
                              There's a lot that makes me happy/sad, disturbs my sleep or helps me rest easy. And 0% has anything to do with multi million dollar athletes and billion dollar "teams". I gave up truly emotionally investing in this shit when I was like, oh, 15. I watch, I care, I follow, but the game ends and I shut it off, completely. This team or league or players cares nothing about us, and what we have to do in life. It wants our time and money. The world was around long before the NBA and will be a long time after. When you get right down to it its entertainment no better or more important than the legions of women that follow The Bachelor or the young and the restless.

                              Anyways, end of rant.
                              It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                KeonClark wrote: View Post
                                Nobody in the fanbase wants to tank either, except for a bunch you internet fans who have become so isolated and set in your ways and only talk hoops with each other all day. We've been "tanking" for like 15 of the 20 years and it never seemed to help. A lot of people seem completely unable to wrap their heads around there being another way to build a succesful franchise. We're finally on the map, and one playoff sweep has everybody wanting to return to another 3 plus years of shithole basketball. Were one of the biggest markets in the nba, start acting like it. Its not fun being orlando, in a constant state of dumping its stars and recycling. Contrary to what many people think, the atlanta hawks and there starless team are waaaay closer to a ring than the greak freek and his gang of merry potentialzzz. Ujiris two biggest skills seem to be finding late first rond gems, and shrewd trades. Let the man work, letss keep winning, and keep improving.
                                Sorry dude but you earned my condescending retort based on the above post.

                                KeonClark wrote: View Post
                                There's a lot that makes me happy/sad, disturbs my sleep or helps me rest easy. And 0% has anything to do with multi million dollar athletes and billion dollar "teams". I gave up truly emotionally investing in this shit when I was like, oh, 15. I watch, I care, I follow, but the game ends and I shut it off, completely. This team or league or players cares nothing about us, and what we have to do in life. It wants our time and money. The world was around long before the NBA and will be a long time after. When you get right down to it its entertainment no better or more important than the legions of women that follow The Bachelor or the young and the restless.

                                Anyways, end of rant.
                                Rant onwards and upwards.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X