Maybe MLSE won't let Raptors tank in 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe MLSE won't let Raptors tank in 2016

It just hit me, we're getting the All-Star game in 2016 for the first time in franchise history. MLSE heads probably told Ujiri that there is NO WAY this team can be crap next year, especially not on purpose.

If you're hosting the All-Star game you want to host as one of the top teams, you want to host with your stars participating, the last thing you need is to have a lame duck team the only year you get this event.

Put me on record that there will not be any major changes this year and if anything there will be patchwork done to try and make sure we continue as the head of the weak Atlantic division just to save face in front of the league (and I don't really disagree, it's embarrassing when a shit team hosts the ASG).

Without changes this team will be barely over. 500
    "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

MACK11 wrote: View Post
      Without changes this team will be barely over. 500
      So 1st in the Atlantic.

Comment

I doubt it. When Masai traded Gay, goal was to tank. If that plan worked we would've been rebuilding still and we definitely wouldn't be a top team. ASG was in works way before that. And Derozan and Lowry might not make to ASG anyways.

If teams sucks they can twist it differently and make it about Canadian players. Rise of Wiggins for example.(Already did that in unveiling of a logo)
        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Trade DeMar and give JV more touches and minutes. He'd be good enough to make it as a reserve big in the East.

Frankly, I don't think anyone gives a shit if the host team is garbage, what does that even have to do with the festivities? We won't have a 3-point shooter and probably won't have a dunker unless Ross or DeMar get called upon to re-enter.

Full re-build ahoy!

Comment

MLSE is clearly more interested in PR than basketball. There will be little turnover, they should have fired the coach, now they can't hire AC's worth their weight, and GV should have been moved for a pass first guard but he's tied to the Pan Am Games...

Comment

I agree and this issue may be getting overlooked by a lot of people.

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
                It just hit me, we're getting the All-Star game in 2016 for the first time in franchise history. MLSE heads probably told Ujiri that there is NO WAY this team can be crap next year, especially not on purpose.

If you're hosting the All-Star game you want to host as one of the top teams, you want to host with your stars participating, the last thing you need is to have a lame duck team the only year you get this event.

Put me on record that there will not be any major changes this year and if anything there will be patchwork done to try and make sure we continue as the head of the weak Atlantic division just to save face in front of the league (and I don't really disagree, it's embarrassing when a shit team hosts the ASG).
                You certainly aren't the first person here to suggest that, and I think it does make some sense. I also think that the organization (rightly or wrongly, most likely wrongly) sees the ASG as an opportunity to sell Toronto to prospective free agents leading up to the 2016 offseason. It wouldn't surprise me if Leiweke and Ujiri had discussions about how best to position the team to take advantage of the all-star game back when they were bidding on it.

Comment

Yeah i've just assumed that they told MU that he couldn't fire Casey, a move which appears to indicate retaining the core. At the same time though, to keep my sanity I like to imagine a team built around current lottery picks.

Comment

Hmmm it's a good point

i still think if you move one of lowry/DD and bring in the right players the team will be better regardless though.
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

It's sad pretty sad thought that MLSE would prevent moves for a "showcase" event that ultimately no one cares about vs building a proper contender.

No one remembers the all-star game within a year or two, as the next one always is bigger/better. Plus it's not like these players have never played in Toronto before, so how much showcase can you really accomplish.

If you want free agents to consider you as an option, nothing is more attractive than a competitive team on the rise (look at how GSW signed Iggy) with smart people in charge.
                      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

MLSE is making money and saving money. It isn't the worst idea TBH. We don't shed Casey's contract and not renew it after next season. Going into 2016 offseason we will have a lot of cap space and the opportunity to get a coach that would be enticed for a role with cap space and some good core players.

Comment

Yes, because it is far more important to have a tread milling team in hopes of having a home team allstar participant as opposed to building towards a form of sustained high end success.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                            No one remembers the all-star game within a year or two, as the next one always is bigger/better. Plus it's not like these players have never played in Toronto before, so how much showcase can you really accomplish.
                            You're not wrong about this, but it is nice when the home city gets to cheer on their own guy and it opens up so much more promo opportunities for the organization.

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
                              You're not wrong about this, but it is nice when the home city gets to cheer on their own guy and it opens up so much more promo opportunities for the organization.
                              That is worth far less than a dynamic core with opoortunity for real growth.

Comment

Working...
                              X