Maybe MLSE won't let Raptors tank in 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

slaw wrote: View Post
    What happens if you tank and go through 5 drafts and don't land a superstar? Do you keep tanking? When do you stop? Is there a drop dead date on the plan?
    Depends.

Did you at least draft guys with lots of potential who would be attractive to a team with a superstar looking to rebuild? Or looking at looming salary concerns? Or looking at losing a superstar in free agency?

There are so many ways to build a franchise but the draft is where it starts for everyone but the best markets or with history of winning.

The Raptors can rebuild now and take a proactive approach or they can continue going along with this current cluster fuck and be forced to rebuild in a couple of years. Waiting only will make the hole that much deeper and more difficult to climb out of....I should note this is just my opinion - not fact - however Raptor history says the probability of this happening is quite high. This is afterall Colangelo's core. This was a team that was built to make the playoffs - and nothing more.
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Fri Jun 19, 2015, 04:18 PM.

Comment

How did we get back to tanking talk? Every trade I've seen discussed is so we can get someone else's draft pick, not improve our own. Lots of us have been arguing trading Derozan for a pick and signing someone like Danny Green is addition by subtraction.

Also, MLSE makes a ton of money from the ASG regardless if Raptors are in it or not, as long as Lebron and all the players people actually care about are there, it will be a huge success.

I lived in Atlanta when they hosted the ASG and it's only a showcase for how horrible traffic can get in your city. No free agent is going to sign with the Raptors because he had a good time at the ASG. Take off the tin foil hats, the ASG has no bearing on moves made this offseason, or lack thereof.

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
        1) You DON'T need a superstar to win a single NBA championship. Spurs didn't have one 2 years ago. Pistons didn't have one.
        They had three 1st-ballot Hall-of-Famers

Comment

I know the voting doesn't start for a few more months, but let's get on board here #votebruno
          in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
            Past their primes. JV could become 38 year old Tim Duncan. Kyle Lowry is basically 2014-and-later Tony Parker. Demar Derozan is now better than Ginobili. Its all context because the best player on that Spurs team is the one that isn't a surefire hall of famer yet.
            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Way over the hill though. This really bugs me when people bring up old players past their prime as if they're still in their prime. Why didn't the Wizards dominate when they had Jordan, they had the best player of all time? Why wasn't Brooklyn amazing when they had KG, Pierce, Deron Williams, Joe Johnson, all perennial all stars and possible HOF'ers (KG at least, maybe Pierce)? Because they were fucking old and not nearly as good as they used to be.

When the Spurs won the title:
              Duncan 37 years old
              Ginobili 36 years old
              Parker 31 years old

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                Way over the hill though. This really bugs me when people bring up old players past their prime as if they're still in their prime. Why wasn't Brooklyn amazing when they had KG, Pierce, Deron Williams, Joe Johnson, all perennial all stars and possible HOF'ers (KG at least, maybe Pierce)? Because they were fucking old and not nearly as good as they used to be.

Duncan 37 years old
                Ginobili 36 years old
                Parker 31 years old
                Did you watch those playoffs?
                Duncan and Parker played almost as well as they ever have.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                  Way over the hill though. This really bugs me when people bring up old players past their prime as if they're still in their prime. Why didn't the Wizards dominate when they had Jordan, they had the best player of all time? Why wasn't Brooklyn amazing when they had KG, Pierce, Deron Williams, Joe Johnson, all perennial all stars and possible HOF'ers (KG at least, maybe Pierce)? Because they were fucking old and not nearly as good as they used to be.

Duncan 37 years old
                  Ginobili 36 years old
                  Parker 31 years old
                  Even though Timmy is old as hell he still played at a all-nba level. Parker played good as well, Manu is the guy who fell off the most.
                  "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Did you watch those playoffs?
                    Duncan and Parker played almost as well as they ever have.
                    No they didn't. Not even close. Duncan is still good, but he used to be fucking awesome. Duncan actually scored less than in any other playoffs, and he's been in the playoffs every single year of his career.

Duncan averaged 16.3 pts, 9.2 reb, .523 FG
                    05'-06' averaged 25.8 pts, 10.5 reb, .573 FG
                    When Duncan was 26 he averaged 25 pts and 15.5 rebounds in the playoffs. That's why he is a HOF'er, 16 and 9 doesn't get you there.

Parker averaged 17.4 pts, 4.8 ast, .486 FG
                    08'-09' averaged 28.6 pts, 6.8 ast, .546 FG

Ginobili averaged 14.3 pts, 4.1 reb, 3.3 ast, .439 FG
                    04'-05' averaged 20.8 pts, 5.8 reb, 4.2 ast, .507 FG

Those guys were all still good, but they all were a ton better when they were aged 25-29.

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                      Nobody in the fanbase wants to tank either, except for a bunch you internet fans who have become so isolated and set in your ways and only talk hoops with each other all day. We've been "tanking" for like 15 of the 20 years and it never seemed to help. A lot of people seem completely unable to wrap their heads around there being another way to build a succesful franchise. We're finally on the map, and one playoff sweep has everybody wanting to return to another 3 plus years of shithole basketball. Were one of the biggest markets in the nba, start acting like it. Its not fun being orlando, in a constant state of dumping its stars and recycling. Contrary to what many people think, the atlanta hawks and there starless team are waaaay closer to a ring than the greak freek and his gang of merry potentialzzz. Ujiris two biggest skills seem to be finding late first rond gems, and shrewd trades. Let the man work, letss keep winning, and keep improving.
                      Says the guy with 1,937 posts... what exactly is an "internet fan", how are they somehow lesser, and how are you not one?

The Hawks maybe starless, but they're much better non-stars than the Raptors! And I'd rather have the Magic roster at this point - they've got some really good, young players to develop and are managing the draft in a savvy fashion (retaining their own picks and acquiring others). The Bucks have at least three players I'd want on the Raptors in Freak, Jabari and Henson.

I didn't enjoy all of the losing over the years, but the current squad is a continental breakfast - over-hyped and underwhelming.

Comment

I feel like you didn't actually watch those games to see how well he played that you would equate JV's play right now to what Duncan did in 2014.

He was playing like an All-NBA player in those playoffs on both ends of the floor. That wasn't a team of "no allstars" that won the championship through hard-work and grit.

Comment

Absolutely but the pistons did not.

Comment

I feel like you didn't actually watch those games to see how well he played that you would equate JV's play right now to what Duncan did in 2014.

He was playing like an All-NBA player in those playoffs on both ends of the floor. That wasn't a team of "no allstars" that won the championship through hard-work and grit.
                            I didn't equate JV now to duncan in 2014, I said he has potential to be there. As in starting center that contributes to a champion. A third banana. JV and lowry could both be third best on champions, derozan could be a fourth best. We do need severe upgrades at the 3 and 4
                            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                              What happens if you tank and go through 5 drafts and don't land a superstar? Do you keep tanking? When do you stop? Is there a drop dead date on the plan?
                              Therein lies the problem. So many posters want to go the draft pick route ....I don't know...yes you could a home run but you are more likely to strike out. Probably it is best to not be so invested in draft picks ( like Sixers) rather to look to improve through internal growth and trades too.

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                                MLSE is clearly more interested in PR than basketball. There will be little turnover, they should have fired the coach, now they can't hire AC's worth their weight, and GV should have been moved for a pass first guard but he's tied to the Pan Am Games...
                                he really shouldve beem traded and im tired of this pr bs

Comment

Working...
                                X