Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Much Should GM's weigh Work Outs to a Players Full College Career?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Much Should GM's weigh Work Outs to a Players Full College Career?

I understand the importance of workouts, but it seems players stock rise a lot more during good workouts than good seasons. Thoughts?

stock shouldn't "rise". it should just confirm what GM's and scouts already know.

sometimes due to a school's system on offense or defense you might be surprised a player can say shoot the 3 or offensive rebound as well as they do in workouts but that's kind of it.
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

honestly, when you hear about a players stock rising it's more because of the agent trying to build hype or teams creating smokescreens
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

If they show part of their game that wasn't used in games it can help a little, and to see how hard they work, how they react to coaching, intensity etc.
        I think seeing them play and interviews are way more important though, a lot of guys biggest problems are the mental side

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
          honestly, when you hear about a players stock rising it's more because of the agent trying to build hype or teams creating smokescreens
          Word. Especially when you look at the pay difference between top 20 guys and the rest of the draft class. Agents have to do what they can to move their guys up so they get a chance to do the same with the next crop.
          Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
          Because its 2015

Comment

draps wrote: View Post
            If they show part of their game that wasn't used in games it can help a little, and to see how hard they work, how they react to coaching, intensity etc.
            I think seeing them play and interviews are way more important though, a lot of guys biggest problems are the mental side
            I agree the work outs are more of an attempt for the organization to develop a relationship with the player/draftee and get a sense of where that player is mentally. If the players habits or work ethic isn't aligned with the player of whom he wants to become then it signals to the team that he probably won't pan out to a good player and not a viable draft pick.
            #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

Are we talking about just college players generally or all players? Cause there is a long, long history of workouts (or even one good workout) propelling players in the draft, in particular, international ones. I mean, Yi Jianlian worked out against a chair and got into the lottery cause he schooled it in the post....

Comment

In general I'm a huge fan of taking guys who "slip" during workouts leading up to the draft. It's recency bias at work and their body of work is usually more indicative of long term success.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

workouts show there mental side for example a player like marcus smart was said to have attitude problems but boston saw something in him and took him he was suppose to slip out of the top ten

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                    In general I'm a huge fan of taking guys who "slip" during workouts leading up to the draft. It's recency bias at work and their body of work is usually more indicative of long term success.
                    As I've watched a lot more NCAA and pre-draft stuff the past few years, it's interesting to see how quickly some teams and media seem to flip-flop on players leading up to the draft. First there's the pre-season rankings, then the entire NCAA season, then the tourney really sees the first series of changes, followed by a lull and then pre-draft workouts. A couple games in the tourney can significantly alter the players' season-long perceptions, then again the same thing for the workouts. I prefer to look at their full body of work, rather than just their measurements or a single workout. The measurements especially seem nonsensical to me, where a player suddenly gains huge hype or sees his hype diminished, if his measurements are even slightly different that the season-long eye test.

Comment

Working...
                    X