Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Joel Embiid Greg Oden 2.0 ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is Joel Embiid Greg Oden 2.0 ?


  • #2
    They deserve to be at the bottom of the standings. They're reaping what was sown.

    Comment


    • #3
      Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
      A big man with a bad back and a bad foot. What could possibly go wrong ?
      Well lots actually...

      Philadelphia Inquirer
      O’Neil confirmed that Embiid has been shut down from working out.

      So with Embiid out for another year. Dario Saric stuck in Europe for at least another year MCW traded for yet more "future value" ....when do you think the good citizens of Philadelphia grab the torches and pitchforks and mach en masse to Sam "The Scam" Hinkies office to tar and feather him for what might be a retank on the original 4 year tank job.
      But but...tanking!! that's how you win a championship!!

      Sixers have been in the lottery for 3-4 years now and they probably would be back there next year #TankingWorks
      Last edited by The Great One; Tue Jun 23rd, 2015, 11:47 AM.
      Mamba Mentality

      Comment


      • #4
        The NBA, the only community on earth where there is a popular belief that to be successful requires hard work and dedication to being horribly bad.

        So your team stinks? You're not serious enough about losing to win my friend. Get with the program.

        Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

        Comment


        • #5
          While it serves the Sixers right, I hope this doesn't happen to Embiid. Huge potential with that guy.
          "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
          "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

          Comment


          • #6
            Sometimes when you swing for the fences it just ends up being a long fly ball out.

            They've had some bad luck with the lottery balls (would we be making fun of them if Wiggins or Parker were on that team) and they've decided to go for broke by taking injured players. The strategy itself isn't flawed but the execution has been.

            End of the day you build through the draft, whether you tank/suck for a few years (Thunder, Magic, Wiz, Warriors) or go for it all at once (Blazers in the Roy/LA draft). The franchise players are there, you just got to be smart enough to grab them.

            Comment


            • #7
              Sixers are a train wreck, and hoping for a miracle to come along their way.
              #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

              Comment


              • #8
                Letter N wrote: View Post
                Sometimes when you swing for the fences it just ends up being a long fly ball out.

                They've had some bad luck with the lottery balls (would we be making fun of them if Wiggins or Parker were on that team) and they've decided to go for broke by taking injured players. The strategy itself isn't flawed but the execution has been.

                End of the day you build through the draft, whether you tank/suck for a few years (Thunder, Magic, Wiz, Warriors) or go for it all at once (Blazers in the Roy/LA draft). The franchise players are there, you just got to be smart enough to grab them.
                Any business model that relies heavily on luck to gain a competitive edge(the lottery) and then more luck to execute properly(many examples of highly touted players busting) is a horrible business model.

                Who cares if occasionally a team is successful in deploying this model? It's a bad model because it relies far too heavily on chance.

                Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the draft isn't or shouldn't be part of a sound model but when you put on a fire sale, slash everything for pennies on the dollar and alienate your fan base all for some more balls in a lotto, it's not sound logic. It's not a good business practice.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Apollo wrote: View Post
                  Any business model that relies heavily on luck to gain a competitive edge(the lottery) and then more luck to execute properly(many examples of highly touted players busting) is a horrible business model.

                  Who cares if occasionally a team is successful in deploying this model? It's a bad model because it relies far too heavily on chance.

                  Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the draft isn't or shouldn't be part of a sound model but when you put on a fire sale, slash everything for pennies on the dollar and alienate your fan base all for some more balls in a lotto, it's not sound logic. It's not a good business practice.
                  Even successful business people would argue that sometimes it's better to simply declare bankruptcy and start over, instead of struggling without hope for too long. I agree that the model isn't a good one for the average person/team, but when you're near the bottom to begin with, sometimes the reset button is the quicker and more effective path to success.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Apollo wrote: View Post
                    Any business model that relies heavily on luck to gain a competitive edge(the lottery) and then more luck to execute properly(many examples of highly touted players busting) is a horrible business model.

                    Who cares if occasionally a team is successful in deploying this model? It's a bad model because it relies far too heavily on chance.

                    Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the draft isn't or shouldn't be part of a sound model but when you put on a fire sale, slash everything for pennies on the dollar and alienate your fan base all for some more balls in a lotto, it's not sound logic. It's not a good business practice.
                    Comparing sports, especially ones with a salary cap, to regular businesses is wrong on many levels.

                    It's not that 'occasionally' they are successful, it's the only way they are successful. You'd be hard pressed to name 2 championship teams in the last 40 years who didn't draft their superstar.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Letter N wrote: View Post
                      Comparing sports, especially ones with a salary cap, to regular businesses is wrong on many levels.

                      It's not that 'occasionally' they are successful, it's the only way they are successful. You'd be hard pressed to name 2 championship teams in the last 40 years who didn't draft their superstar.
                      Detroit Pistons.

                      Only one I know.
                      "Stop eating your sushi."
                      "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                      "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                      - Jack Armstrong

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                        Detroit Pistons.

                        Only one I know.
                        Exactly Pistons are really the only one. You could argue Heat, Lakers and Celtics, but Wade, Kobe and Pierce had as much to do with those teams 1) being formed and 2) succeeding as much as anything else.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Letter N wrote: View Post
                          Exactly Pistons are really the only one. You could argue Heat, Lakers and Celtics, but Wade, Kobe and Pierce had as much to do with those teams 1) being formed and 2) succeeding as much as anything else.
                          You could argue it, but I wouldn't buy it, because of Wade, Kobe and Pierce.

                          You need multiple HOFFERS to win, and they're so hard to come by that you need to draft at least one yourself.

                          (Unless you're the Pistons, in which case you need to be given Rasheed Wallace for nothing.)
                          "Stop eating your sushi."
                          "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                          "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                          - Jack Armstrong

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Letter N wrote: View Post
                            Comparing sports, especially ones with a salary cap, to regular businesses is wrong on many levels.

                            It's not that 'occasionally' they are successful, it's the only way they are successful. You'd be hard pressed to name 2 championship teams in the last 40 years who didn't draft their superstar.
                            This is a classic pro-tank strawman argument.

                            Nobody is against "the draft" or drafting superstars, the debatable issue is if you can actually accelerate and gain control over the "luck" aspect of drafting that superstar by deliberately fielding a crap team like Hinkie and others have suggested.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              The only reason the Heat won the first time was because of Shaq moving there. The only reason they won the second time was because of LeBron moving there.

                              The only reason the Celtics won is because of KG and Ray Allan moving there. It's funny how everyone forgets that Pierce was once just a good player playing on a bad team. He never got the huge respect until after those other guys showed up and he actually won something.

                              The reality is that most modern teams won it because of factors outside the lottery and most teams who stink go on to be perennial stinkers. Tanking is an all in crap shoot for most of these GM's who partake because they aren't good enough to win any other way. This is why most of them continue to lose despite the high picks.

                              Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X